The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My 68 Chevy C10 SPID lists only a chrome front bumper. Factory rear bumper delete? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=838463)

HeavyHauler 09-26-2022 08:39 PM

My 68 Chevy C10 SPID lists only a chrome front bumper. Factory rear bumper delete?

The SPID for my 1968 Chevy C10 only lists a front chrome bumper and does not mention the rear bumper at all.

Does that mean it didnt come with a rear bumper from the factory?. There is a bumper on it now but it does not look anything like the chrome rear bumpers, but maybe it was dealer installed? The bumper is a thick steel bumper with location for a tow hitch and the bumper has a square look to it kind of like some of the Westin brand aftermarket bumpers you still see today being sold.

dmjlambert 09-26-2022 08:56 PM

Re: My 68 Chevy C10 SPID lists only a chrome front bumper. Factory rear bumper delete

As far as I know at least in Texas no pickup trucks came with rear bumpers unless the truck was special ordered with one and pretty much nobody did that. Rear bumpers were locally sourced and custom stamped with the dealer name and installed by the dealership. It's the way things were done before the mid to late 70's. I remember the first smooth and factory made bumper I saw on a pickup in the late seventies looked pretty weird. It happened at about the same time city drivers stopped putting anything in the bed of their shiny new pickups and refused to help a friend move for fear of scratching the paint.

Already Gone 09-27-2022 03:38 AM

Re: My 68 Chevy C10 SPID lists only a chrome front bumper. Factory rear bumper delete

I've had a couple 67-72's but not 67's or 68's s with the factory rear bumper on them like the 69 CST in my avatar. There was the kinda working bumper and believe the RPO was V43 and then the as we call it today the rear " Sport Bumper" that was available in chrome and I think white as well.

'68OrangeSunshine 09-27-2022 02:11 PM

The dealerships usually added on a boxy step bumper -- some with diamond tread. Many of the step bumpers mounted a Class I or II hitch ball. Step bumpers attach to the rear frame rails, rather than 45* stand-off brackets on the passenger car-styled bumpers.

tdangle 09-27-2022 02:21 PM

My 70 didn't come from the factory with a bumper. It was dealer installed

72c20customcamper 09-27-2022 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 68 stepper lists painted rear bumper . If there was nothing in the spid it came with no rear bumper.

mr.mud1 09-30-2022 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my 72 Cheyenne Super has nothing on the spid for a bumper front or rear but i know it came with a chrome front bumper and no rear bumper at all.the license plate bracket and light are up underneath the rear bed sill.the original owner or dealer installed one of those aftermarket checker plate monster bumpers.i discovered the original license plate bracket in under there when i removed the bumper for paint.there is nothing listed either on the build sheet about bumpers but there is a box on the build sheet,# 19 says "bumpers" and it says C---- then box # 104 says "front bumper brace" and it says AD,box # 105 says "rear bumper brace" and says none.