The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

TA_C10 04-07-2021 03:28 AM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Cool idea

Kronald_70GMC 04-07-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8904888)
Cool idea

Thanks man

Kronald_70GMC 04-09-2021 01:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so I'm finally finished the tedious task of welding that plate into the back of the ashtray door. It is quite thin so I had plenty of down time while waiting for tacks to cool. Once that was done, I had to weld all of the random holes in the hinge shut and drill proper ones. I made the mounting holes slotted to allow for adjustment depending how thick the ashtray bumpers are. I have yet to weld the hinge to the ashtray door because after alot of consideration, I have decide that if I can spring load the hinge, that would be the best option. I am bringing the hinge with me to work tomorrow to see if I can find something that will work for me.

The last picture shows the access hole I choose to cut so that I could drill the holes for mounting the hinge. I was planning to remove the speaker grill anyway and smooth out that section of the dash.

Kronald_70GMC 04-11-2021 11:21 AM

Well the spring loaded hinge is a bust. I found some springs that I thought would work but they just bent when I tested them. On the plan B I guess.:waah:

Kronald_70GMC 04-11-2021 06:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the small slice that I had made in the ashtray hinge for the spring to sit in welded shut. I then welded the hinge to the door and put it in. Super happy with how it turned out. I still have to make the stopper/latch so that it doesn't just fall open while driving. Dare I even say that the hinge looks factory under there.;)

TA_C10 04-11-2021 07:09 PM

What will the aftermarket switches control?

Kronald_70GMC 04-11-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8906968)
What will the aftermarket switches control?

I plan to run some lighting in the engine bay and possibly the undercarriage for when I have it at a show. I'd also like to put a neutral safety kill switch as well for an added level of security. Im sure there will be some other ideas that come up as well as the build progresses. I was originally going to have them hidden under the dash but when I thought about it, I wanted them to be easy to access and since the ashtray does nothing for me, it seemed like the perfect place.

Kronald_70GMC 04-12-2021 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the arm that I needed to keep the ashtray latched and from opening too far tonight. It was alot of trial and error. The arm looks bad in the picture but with a bit of refining and once it's all black, I think it will look just fine.:metal:

If you look closely, you can see a magnet tucked under the corner of the hinge. That is what keeps it from coming open. I will need to get a smaller magnet though as that one partially covers a hole that I will need when I build the switch mounting plate.

Kronald_70GMC 04-13-2021 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tonight I made the mounting surface for the switches. I will not drill the holes for them until I actually get the switches which won't be until I'm into wiring, so that is the end of that mod for the time being. I plan to use a push button style switch. I should have room for 4 switches which should cover anything aftermarket I plan to add. Now it's back to filling my door jambs smooth and smoothing out the rocker.

cj847 04-14-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8906978)
I plan to run some lighting in the engine bay and possibly the undercarriage for when I have it at a show. I'd also like to put a neutral safety kill switch as well for an added level of security. Im sure there will be some other ideas that come up as well as the build progresses. I was originally going to have them hidden under the dash but when I thought about it, I wanted them to be easy to access and since the ashtray does nothing for me, it seemed like the perfect place.

Would be a great spot for a Zoomie button for exhaust cut outs. I like the idea of some type of kill switch also.

TA_C10 04-14-2021 08:03 AM

Looks great, nice mod.

Kronald_70GMC 04-14-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 8908176)
Would be a great spot for a Zoomie button for exhaust cut outs. I like the idea of some type of kill switch also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8908197)
Looks great, nice mod.

Thanks guys! Exhaust cutouts would be wicked

Kronald_70GMC 04-14-2021 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well working with the ashtray mod was a nice break from all the extreme welding and grinding. Now that I've taken a bit of a break on all that, I'm feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of this door jamb!:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 04-18-2021 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My door jamb is now finish welded as well as the rocker. I have started the long process of the good ol 80 grit rub down in preparation for primer. There will be a few spots to pull with the pinner yet but maybe if all goes well, I can prime next weekend.:metal:

May70 04-18-2021 08:19 PM

80 grit sounds really rough. I use SPI and I think they call for 220-320 grit scratch. Truck is looking good

Kronald_70GMC 04-18-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8910242)
80 grit sounds really rough. I use SPI and I think they call for 220-320 grit scratch. Truck is looking good

It does seem rough but I find that a peice of 80 grit against bare metal very quickly become alot finer, I'd say at least 180. My paint stripper wheel that I use makes some pretty deep scratches and the 80 grit seems to take them out nice. I worked in a body shop out of high school for 2 years and I thought that is what we did but maybe I need to refreshmy knowledge? Thanks for the compliments by the way. I've been working alot of hours on the truck while I can before the baby comes. Hoping to get it into primer before then.

Kronald_70GMC 04-19-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8910242)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I talked to a friend of mine who works in a body shop and has for many years and he told me that 180 is what I should be taking it to before primer. 80 grit is what I want before I do any body work. He also told me that it is not recommended to have any body work over top of primer so you may have just saved me a TON of extra work. Just another example of the amazing amount of knowledge there is on this board. Thank you sir!

Kronald_70GMC 04-19-2021 11:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sanding and sanding tonight.:lol: I sanded more sheet metal until I ran out of sandpaper, still plenty left to do. After I ran out of disc's for my DA I started doing some hand sanding in some tight spots. Around the driver side cowl and outer kick areas were not being friendly and it kept biting me.:waah: I got them sanded pretty good but there was still a small amount of surface rust in some areas so I decided to spray those areas with rust converter. I guess a trip to the auto body supply shop is in order.

Kronald_70GMC 04-21-2021 11:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cab is all sanded down in 80 grit, I have sprayed most of the floor pan with rust converter, the rest was sprayed with what was advertised as the same thing I've been using but it is not. It goes on like a clearcoat and then takes 24 hours to dry before you can prime it. I think I will be going back to the other stuff I was using. Here I was hoping to see the floor pan all one colour tonight.:waah:

I do have a bit more exciting things going on though. After a few trips to the autobody supply store, I was able to get most everything I need to do body work so I put the first coat of short strand fiberglass reinforced body filler on the passenger cab corner where it was a little wicked.:devil:

Kronald_70GMC 04-22-2021 11:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the rest of the cab floor sprayed black. Felling like a complete cab more and more each day. I also got the rest of the "marglass" as we called it at the body shop I worked at more that 8 years ago applied and sanded on the lower back section 9f the cab. I need to apply more marglass in the door jabs and the room seam I welded shut as well as the bottom of the rockers and then I will be able to get out the regular bondo and see how my body work skills have held up after all these years.:lol:

I also took out my pinner and pulled the dents on the drivers side of the cab corner where the box had obviously slammed into the cab. I'm thinking this cab was involved in a wreck possibly at some point. Would explain the hulk status of the vin that came with it.

Kronald_70GMC 04-24-2021 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed a steel angle along the lower portion of the rear cab wall today. I wanted it so that when it comes time to build my speaker box back there, it will give me alot more options for mounting it. It also double as a stiffner brace to keep the cab wall nice and straight. It was quite out of alignment when I started.

TA_C10 04-24-2021 10:41 PM

Will the speaker box be elevated? When your seats go in you won't have much room going up so.....

Kronald_70GMC 04-24-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8912975)
Will the speaker box be elevated? When your seats go in you won't have much room going up so.....

I haven't quite figured that part out yet. I just figured this way I have a few more options as far as mounting it goes. I'll have to get my seats all figured out and fitting first to see how much room is available back there.

Kronald_70GMC 04-25-2021 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got some more body work in on the cab today. I have almost got all the marglass down in the drivers side door jamb. I also hit a few other spots like my gas hole that was welded shut and a large stretched out dent in one of the recesses at the back of the cab. Pictures are going to be a little boring for a while as body work is not overly exciting. If you guys get too overly bored of my pictures just let me know. Thanks for following along! It is a huge motivation to see the view counter climb.:metal:

72 tigger 04-25-2021 08:02 PM

Really nice progress! Your mods are well thought out