The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 04-25-2021 08:22 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8913385)
Really nice progress! Your mods are well thought out

Thank you. I have been on this forum for quite a while and I'm sure that most of my ideas come from something I've seen somewhere else on here. I appreciate the compliments.

Kronald_70GMC 04-27-2021 12:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well it appears I've made a mistake with the drivers side cab corner. I hung the door tonight to check the gaps and they are all about perfect except for at the cab corner. I also noticed that my rocker line takes a dive as it nears the cab corner so it looks like I'll be doing some more slice and dice. :waah: Oh well such is life at least I am finding it now before I get to much filler in the area.

Kronald_70GMC 04-28-2021 12:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Project Splice strikes again!;) I should really change my thread name but I don't know how to do it. I got the door gap corrected tonight by cutting in another, yup you guessed it, SPLICE.:lol: Once I had that corrected, I moved onto the rocker issue that was bothering me. What had happened is, the cab corner was to flat at the bottom where it meets the rocker. Once I figured that out, all I had to do was....:lol: another splice! I think it is looking much better now.:gmc2:

Kronald_70GMC 04-29-2021 12:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple steps closer tonight. I got the splice welded up and started fitting the bottom of the door to the rocker. I decided my easiest route was to weld a stiff wire to the edge so that the edge will not be as much filler which would chip out easier. I feel like getting nicer panels might have been worth it at this point but I've got too much time invested in these to scrap them now. I'm determined to make these work!:metal:

88Stanger 04-29-2021 11:16 AM

I feel your pain. I installed my lower door rockers on my 66 C10, got them looking good BUT never test fit the damn door..... well i am now needing to lower the one side 1/4", so dumb of me.
I do have re-pop doors and found that one needs a little weld rod added to the outside edge to make the gaps much better.

Kronald_70GMC 04-29-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8914823)
I feel your pain. I installed my lower door rockers on my 66 C10, got them looking good BUT never test fit the damn door..... well i am now needing to lower the one side 1/4", so dumb of me.
I do have re-pop doors and found that one needs a little weld rod added to the outside edge to make the gaps much better.

Dont feel to bad, I did test fit my doors and still wound up with issues.:lol:

Kronald_70GMC 05-01-2021 03:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got a piece that I had been waiting for so that I could complete another mod I had in mind. Since I got rid of the inside of the ashtray, I figured the cigarette lighter seemed like an odd thing to have. Since I have been going for the stock appearance theme on my dashboard, it seemed like the lighter would be a perfect place for a usb port. So what I did was hollow out the sleeve of the lighter and I bought a flush mount usb from Amazon. I had to do a little bit of modification to get the usb to fit inside the sleeve but nothing major. I have it set up so that the lighter itself will still slide in when the usb is not in use, retaining the stock look. I think it turned out pretty awesome.

chewychevy67 05-01-2021 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8915677)
I finally got a piece that I had been waiting for so that I could complete another mod I had in mind. Since I got rid of the inside of the ashtray, I figured the cigarette lighter seemed like an odd thing to have. Since I have been going for the stock appearance theme on my dashboard, it seemed like the lighter would be a perfect place for a usb port. So what I did was hollow out the sleeve of the lighter and I bought a flush mount usb from Amazon. I had to do a little bit of modification to get the usb to fit inside the sleeve but nothing major. I have it set up so that the lighter itself will still slide in when the usb is not in use, retaining the stock look. I think it turned out pretty awesome.

Now you need to add the light so when you pull the lighter out you can see the port better

Kronald_70GMC 05-01-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8915707)
Now you need to add the light so when you pull the lighter out you can see the port better

Wow that is a good idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Kronald_70GMC 05-01-2021 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally scored a passenger side fender that does not have a pile of damage to the wheel arch like mine last night. I also have just about finished welding the 1/8" rod along the edge of the rocker to align with the door.

Kronald_70GMC 05-02-2021 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm done with the wire along the rocker other than the front 6" or so. I will need to remove my door again to gain access to that area. I also filled in and shaped the inner back lip of the rocker to fit the door radius in the corner. Just about ready to jump back into the marglass.

cornerstone 05-03-2021 09:32 AM

Super clean work.... again.;)

Kronald_70GMC 05-03-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8916368)
Super clean work.... again.;)

Haha thanks man! How is your truck coming along these days? I haven't seen any updates for a while?

cornerstone 05-04-2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8916397)
Haha thanks man! How is your truck coming along these days? I haven't seen any updates for a while?

Well, to my shame, currently it's a storage bin. I just went to look for my build thread... the last post was in Dec. of 2020.:waah:

Kronald_70GMC 05-04-2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8916750)
Well, to my shame, currently it's a storage bin. I just went to look for my build thread... the last post was in Dec. of 2020.:waah:

So when does it get to come out and play?:lol:

gmc684x4 05-04-2021 11:57 AM

Your truck is looking good
Nice your showing the fixes you have to do to fix poor fitting panels

Kronald_70GMC 05-04-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8916897)
Your truck is looking good
Nice your showing the fixes you have to do to fix poor fitting panels

Thanks man. I was hoping to help out some other guys in the same boat as me. It can be discouraging to have such problems but I find that anything is fixable if a guy can just think outside the box a little bit.:uhmk:

Kronald_70GMC 05-05-2021 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have finished welding the rod to the rocker. Now I am back on marglass. I am very happy that I took the time to splice and correct the rocker panel at the back. It looks so much better as far as I am concerned. I might have to order up my Altman Latches sooner than later so I can do any metal work involved in putting those in so as to avoid having to do extra body work in my door jambs.

Kronald_70GMC 05-08-2021 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I spent the afternoon doing more filler work on the truck. I now have the marglass complete in the driver door jamb and rocker/cab corner. I also have the majority of the back of the cab done in marglass as well. It a dusty job but I really don't mind it other than that.

Kronald_70GMC 05-10-2021 11:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So before I get to carried away putting down marglass on the passenger side, I figured I had better test fit the door and Fender again. My door gaps are tight all the way around which is still the way they were the first test fit. I will have to grind down and weld back the skin where ever it spits through on me which will probably be most of it.:lol: My new to me passenger fender seems to fit well other that the lower body line. It is low and if I raise the fender then the bottom will not line up. I will probably end up welding a wire along the edge to line it up with my door. All in all, seems better than the other side. I should only have minimal welding on my rocker edge to line it up with the door bottom.:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 05-12-2021 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a small break from the truck tonight to work on a free welding table I scored from work. It had a 5/8" twist in the top which I was able to fight out with a rachet strap. Once I had the twist out of it, I welded an angle iron across the back to tie both legs together. I am trying to find out where I can get a replacement sheet of metal for the top as this one is beat. They never put any braces across the top so it also has about a 3/8" sag in the middle. At least they only tacked the top on so it will be pretty easy to remove if I can find a new sheet.

Kronald_70GMC 05-13-2021 12:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to take some advice I got from another board member here and clean the shop up before baby comes. So tonight I put wheels under my welding table and moved it into its home. This forced me to clean up all of the clutter in that corner of the garage. I sold one of my extra doors that was nice last night so that's one less thing in the way. I think that one of my other doors is too mangled to sell so it and my old fender will probably be recycled. I also finally got around to re doing the handle on my welding cart which now has hooks for the lead and ground cables. Also, today during my lunch break at work, a buddy and myself cut out the stock muffler on my truck and replaced it with a flowmaster. All in 30 minutes!:metal: It still has the resonator so it's a bit on the quiet side but for my daily, I think it will be just right. Finished that off with an old tip I had lying around in the shop and thats another thing cleaned up. Sorry about sideways pics. I was in a hurry I suppose.

sakustoms 05-13-2021 02:04 PM

Truck is looking good. you're making a lot of progress. Good to see.

I did something similar to the 1/8" rod on my one door jamb. I cut a flat sheet the same size and the inner vertical seam and welded it on. I still have to finish welding and grind it but I've been working on the frame and rear suspension and not the cab lately.

Kronald_70GMC 05-13-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 8920343)
Truck is looking good. you're making a lot of progress. Good to see.

I did something similar to the 1/8" rod on my one door jamb. I cut a flat sheet the same size and the inner vertical seam and welded it on. I still have to finish welding and grind it but I've been working on the frame and rear suspension and not the cab lately.

Thanks for the compliments and for following along with my build. Do you have a thread going for yours? I'd like to check and see what your up too.

sakustoms 05-14-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8920486)
Thanks for the compliments and for following along with my build. Do you have a thread going for yours? I'd like to check and see what your up too.

I always like to see good progress and great work. That's why I follow.

I do not have a thread. Actually the truck is now (again) my son's. I sold it back to him last night because I knew he really wanted it and I just didn't want to dump a ton of money into yet another vehicle. LOL