The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 08-29-2021 07:04 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

3 Attachment(s)
I'm so close I can almost taste it to being done with marglass. I'm hoping one more evening and I should be into the regular filler. I have something on the way to help with getting it like glass so hopfully that will show up soon as well.

Kronald_70GMC 09-05-2021 06:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Woo hoo! Finally done with marglass for the time being. I also managed to get a coat of regular filler across the whole roof. Wow, I figured it was straighter :lol: Going to need to get some other grits of sandpaper now. One more skim across the roof followed by a good blocking with 180 and the roof will be ready for primer. Too bad I still have the rest of the cab to fill before primer.:waah:

Chevys4life 09-06-2021 04:38 PM

Great job on your cab!!!

Kronald_70GMC 09-06-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8967195)
Great job on your cab!!!

Thanks!

Kronald_70GMC 09-06-2021 11:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Alright so I'm a bit rusty at this whole bodywork thing. I put down another coat on the roof and sanded it too far with 80 grit and still ended up low. I'm definitely not a professional here by any means. I ended up putting a guide coat down to get the 80 grit scratches out which is how I realized I was low in spots. I didn't have any guide coat on hand and the local body supply store was closed for the holiday so I picked up some black chalk from home depot. Worked great and a fraction of the price. Just sprinkled in on and spread it around with a chunk of foam. I got a third coat of filler on the roof including the edges this time. I definitely recommend completely coating the panel you are working before sanding, it worked much better that way instead of trying to feather the edges. I now have the roof sanded in 80 grit but this time I left it just above finish so that I will be able to sand out the 80 grit scratches with 180 before burning through and getting high spots. It's hard to see in the 4th picture but the black chalk shows my low spots. 5th picture is how it is sitting now. Ready for more guide coat and blocking with 180 grit.

Scurry67 09-07-2021 08:32 PM

Looks great! I’m sure your arms are jello by the time you’re done. It’ll pay off though with nice straight panels. Keep it up, I’m enjoying the updates.

Kronald_70GMC 09-07-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 8967838)
Looks great! I’m sure your arms are jello by the time you’re done. It’ll pay off though with nice straight panels. Keep it up, I’m enjoying the updates.

Thanks man! Great to know that people are following along. The arms were definitely a little sore after all that sanding :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 09-07-2021 11:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some goodies today from Big Kid Blocks. I had previously ordered a wicked door gap tool from them and had been looking at there blocks for a while as well. I finally pulled the trigger as I needed some blocks that can follow curves and these look awesome. I'm still waiting on one piece as it was back ordered but I'm excited to try these things out. The one with the spheres is made to follow curves. There is another one that is shorter for curves but that is the one back ordered. Too bad I won't have time to play with them till next week.:waah:

Second picture is the door gap tool which looks deadly and I'm excited to use it as well.

Kronald_70GMC 09-19-2021 12:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow what a rough go I had last week. I ended up feeling a bit sick last weekend which rolled into a fever and a wicked headache. I got tested and thankfully it was not covid. Today is the first day since Tuesday that I was able to get outside and do anything. The rest of my week consisted of lying in bed with ice on my head for the headache, nothing else worked. So I finally had a chance to try out the new blocks tonight. What a diffrence! I was still quite a bit further away than I figured from having the roof minty. Felt good to get something done.

Kronald_70GMC 09-26-2021 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These blocks I bought are the answer! I am in my final sand on the roof..... finally :lol:. It definitely should not take this many coats if anyone is wondering, I have been trying to get back into body work after several years.:waah: I am finding with these blocks, being that they have flex, it is very difficult to oversand, which has been my biggest mistake so far. The pictures don't look much diffrent week to week here but that should change now that I'm getting back into the groove. Progress should increase quite rapidly. It will also be much easier not having to work off of ladders and such once I'm done the roof. This is the boring stage so hopfully I can keep everyone's interest.;)

Getter-Done 09-26-2021 09:51 PM

I'm still in ;)

Nice work:metal:

I am all about buying the right tool for the job at hand.

Kronald_70GMC 09-26-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8976671)
I'm still in ;)

Nice work:metal:

I am all about buying the right tool for the job at hand.

Right on man! Thanks

Kronald_70GMC 10-03-2021 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Roof is finally ready to prime. The new blocks showed me how much of a liar the old block was.:lol: Notice the several diffrent layers of filler I burned through around the edges. After I finished blocking the roof, I used a technique that I learned from an old school body man that was in the industry for pretty much his whole life. That technique is to have a piece of paper between your hand and your work while doing a feel over for waves and such. It makes a huge difference in being able to feel the imperfections.

I got some filler around the back window as well and started blocking that out. Much less standing on steps and ladders now and that is nice.:metal:

sakustoms 10-04-2021 12:56 PM

Man this thing is looking good.

Doing bodywork can really suck. When I do it I wear a latex glove. This seems to help me to feel the imperfections and helps your hand to slide smoothly over the surface.

I am almost done with the welding on my sons cab. Shaved the hump on the firewall where the heater box was.

Kronald_70GMC 10-04-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 8979965)
Man this thing is looking good.

Doing bodywork can really suck. When I do it I wear a latex glove. This seems to help me to feel the imperfections and helps your hand to slide smoothly over the surface.

I am almost done with the welding on my sons cab. Shaved the hump on the firewall where the heater box was.

Thanks! Yeah I bet a latex glove would be the same effect as a piece af paper. Sounds like you've got a great project on the go yourself. Is there a thread on it?

sakustoms 10-04-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8979992)
Thanks! Yeah I bet a latex glove would be the same effect as a piece af paper. Sounds like you've got a great project on the go yourself. Is there a thread on it?

I stopped making build threads on projects due to being a picaholic and spending way too much time just uploading images. lol

Here's a few of where it is now. The passenger side firewall has been shaved where the bump out is and also the hole where the blower motor was.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/yYDm2Fkk/C10-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/05WGtt5T/c10-2.jpgcapture[/IMG]

Kronald_70GMC 10-04-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 8980009)
I stopped making build threads on projects due to being a picaholic and spending way too much time just uploading images. lol

Here's a few of where it is now. The passenger side firewall has been shaved where the bump out is and also the hole where the blower motor was.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/yYDm2Fkk/C10-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/05WGtt5T/c10-2.jpgcapture[/IMG]

That looks awesome! Can't wait till I'm that far!

sakustoms 10-05-2021 06:52 AM

Thanks and you will be before you know it. This is a couple years on/off to get it just to this stage.

Kronald_70GMC 10-07-2021 12:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more filler work done tonight, I'm almost done with around the back window, bit more sanding, a few small touch ups and then on to the the back wall of the cab. Looks like so much fun.....:waah::lol: Also the paint divider trim pins also make things fun.:uhmk:

Scurry67 10-07-2021 12:26 AM

Looks good! Crazy to think how much of that stuff ends up on the ground. Are you going to do the entire back of the cab? From my experience, it was a real pain, especially for an area on the cab that no one ever sees. Keep it up!

Kronald_70GMC 10-07-2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 8981068)
Looks good! Crazy to think how much of that stuff ends up on the ground. Are you going to do the entire back of the cab? From my experience, it was a real pain, especially for an area on the cab that no one ever sees. Keep it up!

Oh man I've put so much on the ground already. I've used over half the gallon to get to where I am.:lol: I am going to do the entire back of the cab because I am far too much of a perfectionist and it will absolutely drive me crazy if I don't do it.:crazy::haha: I will keep the updates coming as quick as possible, for some reason I get quite motivated when it comes to bodywork, I don't know if there is anyone else out there who actually likes bodywork stage.:lol:

sakustoms 10-07-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8981062)
Got some more filler work done tonight, I'm almost done with around the back window, bit more sanding, a few small touch ups and then on to the the back wall of the cab. Looks like so much fun.....:waah::lol: Also the paint divider trim pins also make things fun.:uhmk:

Looking good. You are into what I still have to do, bodywork. Lots of bodywork. I will be doing the whole back of the roof and cab sides. Time was not kind to this cab.

I assume you are going to run the factory trim. I ground the pins off because we are not going to run any trim.

Keep the pics coming.

Kronald_70GMC 10-07-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 8981129)
Looking good. You are into what I still have to do, bodywork. Lots of bodywork. I will be doing the whole back of the roof and cab sides. Time was not kind to this cab.

I assume you are going to run the factory trim. I ground the pins off because we are not going to run any trim.

Keep the pics coming.

Yes I will be running all the trim. I am going to be painting it orange and white. There will be lots of pictures. :metal:

sakustoms 10-07-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8981163)
Yes I will be running all the trim. I am going to be painting it orange and white. There will be lots of pictures. :metal:

Are you going straight white or a cream white?

No idea what my son's is going to be painted yet. Since it's being built mainly as a drag truck he's less interested in paint than go fast parts. LOL

But since I have access to a full bodyshop, spray booth and all the tint colors on a paint machine I refuse to let it have a crap paint job.

Kronald_70GMC 10-07-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 8981268)
Are you going straight white or a cream white?

No idea what my son's is going to be painted yet. Since it's being built mainly as a drag truck he's less interested in paint than go fast parts. LOL

But since I have access to a full bodyshop, spray booth and all the tint colors on a paint machine I refuse to let it have a crap paint job.

I am planning to go straight white but im still a bit away from paint so it's not set in stone yet. And yeah if you have access to all that, crazy not to give it a great paint job too. :metal: