The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Getter-Done 11-14-2021 11:09 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8994976)
So I have been waiting for some larger casters for my cab cart to go on sale and they finally have!:metal: I got these 8" 1200 LB bad boys for 25$ a piece today, regular 60$ a piece. For sure overkill but I wanted more height anyway and the locks on the old casters were pretty fubar'ed. Also being only 3", they were not fun to get back up onto my rubber garage floor when I'd move the cab to the other side for cleaning. Now if only the last dude didn't weld the damn things on.:banghead: Turns out that a Sawzall with a good blade cuts them off pretty decently. Now the worst part is that I've already sacrificed 2 drill bits to the metal gods and I was already low on the things to begin with so I guess this will have to wait until I can get more bits.:waah:

Great choice of going to the Bigger casters.:metal:

Since I have been following for a while;)

I feel like I can suggest,
That it is time for you to learn to sharpen a Twist Drill:lol:

Even if you don't do it exactly right it will still drill the hole.:ito:

Start with 1st video then when you get (good)
Search more video's like the 2nd one :chevy:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qze0GyBxBRY

MrPete222/Twist Drill Geometry link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtnNN5pEjaU

Kronald_70GMC 11-14-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8995919)
Great choice of going to the Bigger casters.:metal:

Since I have been following for a while;)

I feel like I can suggest,
That it is time for you to learn to sharpen a Twist Drill:lol:

Even if you don't do it exactly right it will still drill the hole.:ito:

Start with 1st video then when you get (good)
Search more video's like the 2nd one :chevy:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qze0GyBxBRY

MrPete222/Twist Drill Geometry link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtnNN5pEjaU

Hey right on! Thanks for the video. I need to get a bench grinder for sure.

Kronald_70GMC 11-15-2021 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New casters are in place and working awesome! As well, I got some ducting to extend the pickup for my exhaust fan down towards my bench. Should get rid of alot more dust and fumes this way and not just suck out all the hot air off the heater. Now I can get back on the filler!:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 11-21-2021 06:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well its time for another boring post of filler progress that looks like I haven't accomplished a whole lot. :lol: I promise that I'm getting there on the passenger door jamb. Its all these little details that are killing my time but I think that they will be worth it in the end.:metal:

May70 11-21-2021 08:05 PM

Where did you get the casters??

Kronald_70GMC 11-21-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8998380)
Where did you get the casters??

I got them from princess auto. Not sure if they have that store where you are. They are much better than the little ones that were on there before and they have two greasable points instead of just one.

Kronald_70GMC 11-27-2021 07:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm officially down to the final touches on the passenger door jamb. Today while waiting for filler to dry, I decided to work on something a little different. I took one of my old fender emblems and cut the GMC off of it. I then "machined" them down to get rid of the angle built into the letters and remove the voids left after cutting them. Now i just have to decide where I want to put them. I'm thinking the dash where the speaker used to be is a definate one. I'm also thinking about doing the same thing with the other one and put it on the corner of the glove box as I have never been a big fan of the factory one. Thoughts?

Kronald_70GMC 11-28-2021 07:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Passenger door jamb is done! Working on a bit of filler along the windsheild pillar and along the drip rail. During dry times, I took some better pictures of the emblem placement I'm thinking about. I also cleaned up the lower portion of the fender emblem I had cut up as well as I can have a custom sticker made up for it and use it too. Lots of options available now. The GMC may be a little bit large to use on the glove box door but if I had a sticker made for the "plaque" portion something along the lines of GMC Custom instead of the plastic one that is stock, I might like that better. Might have to see if I can use the wife's computer and do some photoshop. 🤔 Any input is welcome as well. If you guys think I've lost it, let me know. Any feedback is good feedback. ;)

Getter-Done 11-28-2021 09:15 PM

Great news That you are in the final stage.

My vote for the glove box is:
Since you ask;)

1st= Less is more/ No emblems

2nd= Pick one and only one.

3rd= Go Crazy and put one in each corner:uhmk:
(Just make sure you paint another Glovebox door for back-Up);)

Kronald_70GMC 11-28-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9000895)
Great news That you are in the final stage.

My vote for the glove box is:
Since you ask;)

1st= Less is more/ No emblems

2nd= Pick one and only one.

3rd= Go Crazy and put one in each corner:uhmk:
(Just make sure you paint another Glovebox door for back-Up);)

Haha the good news is that I have plenty of time to decide. And I do believe that I have a second glove box door come to think of it. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 12-06-2021 10:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This past week, I've been working on the drip rail and around the windsheild area. I am just about done that and I think next I will jump into the drivers side door jamb. It should be faster than the passenger side as it seems that generally, the drivers side of my cab fits together better. Fingers crossed.

Kronald_70GMC 12-12-2021 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished up with the filler around the winsheild today. I also filled that small hole at the top corner of the driver side door jamb with some JB weld. I then decided that I might as well get the passenger side finished up so I got a couple coats of filler on the passenger rocker and almost finished one coat on the cab corner. Slowly but surely....:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 12-14-2021 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have gotten quite a bit further on my cab corner and rocker filler tonight. The rounded part of the cab corner was a little tricky, it kept coming out flat until I realized that plastic bondo spatulas are perfect for rounded areas. :lol: I should only need one more coat of filler on this area and then it will be over to the drivers side. :metal:

sakustoms 12-14-2021 08:54 AM

Looking really good.

I'm doing bodywork now and was working on the back of the cab next to the window. What I do is put the filler on and then let it set but not completely.
I take 80 grit net paper on a soft block and block it into shape. This makes it easier to shape and I don't have to sand as hard, which my shoulders cannot take.

I also use a cheesegrater for shaping and quick knockdown.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...eesegrater.jpg

sakustoms 12-14-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8989931)
Haha I'm also just super picky. :hh: I have noticed that these trucks have very different tolerances from each other sometimes. Maybe it's just a Canadian thing. :canada: :lol:

Ok so I looked and since my kid's truck is a stepside you see a ton of the back of the cab. Now I have to do way more bodywork. :censored:

I tried to talk him into buying new fleetside bed sides and headboard. :lol:

72 tigger 12-14-2021 01:04 PM

Nice detail work as usual!

Kronald_70GMC 12-14-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 9006976)
Looking really good.

I'm doing bodywork now and was working on the back of the cab next to the window. What I do is put the filler on and then let it set but not completely.
I take 80 grit net paper on a soft block and block it into shape. This makes it easier to shape and I don't have to sand as hard, which my shoulders cannot take.

I also use a cheesegrater for shaping and quick knockdown.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tec...eesegrater.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 9006977)
Ok so I looked and since my kid's truck is a stepside you see a ton of the back of the cab. Now I have to do way more bodywork. :censored:

I tried to talk him into buying new fleetside bed sides and headboard. :lol:

Yes those methods work awesome for shaping for sure. I'm just running low on sandpaper and I also only have limited blocks and with sticky paper, it gets quite wasteful switching back and forth.

I feel you on the back of the cab. It is very time consuming. :waah:

Kronald_70GMC 12-14-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9007030)
Nice detail work as usual!

Thank you! As always, feels good to hear and keeps my motivation flowing. :metal:

sakustoms 12-14-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9007034)
Yes those methods work awesome for shaping for sure. I'm just running low on sandpaper and I also only have limited blocks and with sticky paper, it gets quite wasteful switching back and forth.

I feel you on the back of the cab. It is very time consuming. :waah:

Yea I am burning through 80 grit net paper quick. My BIL just gave me a solid long board for the net back paper to use to do larger areas. I am going to need a firm block and some sticky back paper for final sanding. The net stuff gives too much to really get the finish I want.

Kronald_70GMC 12-14-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 9007069)
Yea I am burning through 80 grit net paper quick. My BIL just gave me a solid long board for the net back paper to use to do larger areas. I am going to need a firm block and some sticky back paper for final sanding. The net stuff gives too much to really get the finish I want.

I agree. The hook and loop is not a good final blocking paper at all. I find it too pricey in general so I just keep on using the sticky.

sakustoms 12-15-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9007080)
I agree. The hook and loop is not a good final blocking paper at all. I find it too pricey in general so I just keep on using the sticky.

I usually do too but my BIL gave me a roll of 180 and 80 net paper and the blocks to use with it. Kind of hard to beat that price. lol

I will end up buying a couple rolls of sticky back paper and the blocks to go with that eventually.

Keep up the great work man. I can't wait to see this thing all one color.

Kronald_70GMC 12-15-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakustoms (Post 9007275)

Keep up the great work man. I can't wait to see this thing all one color.

Thanks! It is going to feel so good to see it in primer.

Kronald_70GMC 12-19-2021 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Passenger side is complete!:metal: I am now working my way across the bottom back of the cab and over to the drivers door jamb. I sanded out the JB weld that I used to fill the small hole on the top corner of the drivers side door jamb. So it is ready to go when I get that far.

Kronald_70GMC 12-24-2021 05:51 PM

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!:ennyd::alc::wave:

Getter-Done 12-26-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 9010781)
Merry Christmas and a happy new! year:ennyd::alc::wave:

I am still watching;)

I am like you slow and Steady.