The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Valve cover hitting AC bracket (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=656790)

Monte's62 01-18-2015 01:44 AM

Valve cover hitting AC bracket

1 Attachment(s)
This is a 98 vortec engine, not sure about the bracket. It looks like the correct one, but apparently it's not. Even with the factory valve cover with rounded edges it doesn't work.

My question is, has anyone ran into this problem? Is it the wrong bracket, or do you have to take the bracket off to get the valve cover off. Also, would 3 bolts hold the compressor if I cut this one off? Attachment 1351008

donthekawguy 01-18-2015 04:15 AM

Re: Valve cover hitting AC bracket

Doesn't the ac go on the pass. side?

nhr3 01-18-2015 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a similar issue with my MT valve covers and the air conditioning pump. My Serpentine system puts the pump on the right side but the issue was similar. Fortunately with a little creativity with a grinder the cover and the pump I was able to resolve the interference issue. The serpentine system I used was for a small block from a 1990 Suburban. My AC pump was the one that came with my Vintage Air kit, a Shaden I believe. Your issue looks to be entirely a bracket issue. I would look at grinder modifications.

Monte's62 01-19-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthekawguy (Post 7008226)

No, the bracket goes on the right (drivers side), and I think this is the one that came off of the engine. I have a couple others that all look the same, and one for sure came off of it. This bracket is a 2 in 1 AC/ power steering bracket. I talked to a good friend today that owns an auto repair shop and he said almost everything that comes in to his shop ( foreign and domestic) has to have some part removed to be able to fix another part. He said he thought it was to discourage businesses like his and do it your selfers from fixing stuff without going to a dealer. This made me think back to my 88 chevy truck, when I remember replacing a thermostat there was a bar running from the housing to the alternator bracket I believe. Needless to say it was removed. I believe this bracket is just made to be moved to remove the valve cover. As mentioned I will just have to do some creative cutting/ grinding I think.

BigDan3131 01-19-2015 02:12 AM

Are your valve covers taller than stock? If they are that is the problem.

Monte's62 01-20-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDan3131 (Post 7009504)
Are your valve covers taller than stock? If they are that is the problem.

Yes, they are taller than stock, but the stock valve covers will not fit either. I talked with some guys that tell me that is just how they are made. You have to take the Serpentine belt off and loosen the AC bracket to get the valve cover off. I think I am just going to cut it off and just run 3 bolts. I may look at trimming it up, but I don't think it will work.

Anyone else with a vortec engine and AC have this problem?

Slow Build 01-20-2015 02:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthekawguy (Post 7008226)

They make a few variations. I'm starting to look for a serpentine setup for mine and I've seen the AC on both sides. I'm going to get the AC on the passenger side without air pump and alt on the drivers side with PS pump to make things easier (shorter plumbing and wiring).

luvbowties 01-20-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monte's62 (Post 7008174)
This is a 98 vortec engine, not sure about the bracket. It looks like the correct one, but apparently it's not. Even with the factory valve cover with rounded edges it doesn't work.

My question is, has anyone ran into this problem? Is it the wrong bracket, or do you have to take the bracket off to get the valve cover off. Also, would 3 bolts hold the compressor if I cut this one off? Attachment 1351008

A friend had the same problem with your engine going into a 1952 Chevy pickup. He had his v-cover modded to fit. The end product depends on how pretty your fabricator can heli-arc weld aluminum.:mm: It took a simple cutout--looked like a 1-cut job that required only a flat triangular fill-plate) His end result looked "factory". *BE SURE to allow for rocker clearance!
Sam

Monte's62 01-20-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Build (Post 7011128)
They make a few variations. I'm starting to look for a serpentine setup for mine and I've seen the AC on both sides. I'm going to get the AC on the passenger side without air pump and alt on the drivers side with PS pump to make things easier (shorter plumbing and wiring).

Slow build, do you know if the engine in the first picture, which has what appears to be the same bracket as mine, will allow the valve cover to come off without moving the AC bracket?

Monte's62 01-20-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvbowties (Post 7011371)
A friend had the same problem with your engine going into a 1952 Chevy pickup. He had his v-cover modded to fit. The end product depends on how pretty your fabricator can heli-arc weld aluminum.:mm: It took a simple cutout--looked like a 1-cut job that required only a flat triangular fill-plate) His end result looked "factory". *BE SURE to allow for rocker clearance!
Sam

Thanks Sam, I might try to modify the ear of the bracket, or maybe even cut it off if necessary. I doubt I will modify my valve covers as welding aluminum may be a touch out of my league. Thanks for the info

luvbowties 01-23-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monte's62 (Post 7012320)
Thanks Sam, I might try to modify the ear of the bracket, or maybe even cut it off if necessary. I doubt I will modify my valve covers as welding aluminum may be a touch out of my league. Thanks for the info

'tis outta my league too--but that's what friends are for. Also, I would want an experienced heli-arcer to do it in the 1st place, even if the job would be pricey.:metal:
Sam

Doppleganger 09-20-2021 07:14 PM

I know this thread is ancient, but was there ever a bona fide solution to this?

Something with pics would be dandy.