The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   upper mount (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820217)

verdell 04-01-2021 11:03 AM

upper mount

2 Attachment(s)
Suspension guru's-

Can these OEM upper shock mounts on the rear of my Apache be relocated to the inside of the frame and used as rear upper coilover mounts? Pros/Cons?

SCOTI 04-01-2021 05:40 PM

Re: upper mount

Technically yes they could be relocated & re-purposed. I would only do it if the bracket material is @ least frame thickness @ a minimum.
The relocation fab work needs to be done well to support the spring & shock load(s).

verdell 04-06-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8902481)
Technically yes they could be relocated & re-purposed. I would only do it if the bracket material is @ least frame thickness @ a minimum.
The relocation fab work needs to be done well to support the spring & shock load(s).

Thanks, Scoti

The 60-62 OEM shock bracket is extremely stout so I'm pretty sure it'll do the job. I'm interested in a 20 x 12 rear wheel with a Mickey Thompson 6620 (nearly 15 inch section width) but it won't fit with the stock outboard shock configuration. The other alternative is to use a frame crossbar with shock tabs welded on. Just brainstorming for now. Thanks again.

kwmech 04-07-2021 04:38 PM

factory shocks mounts were not intended to support vehicle weight. With that being said I would fab up something different with a double shear

SCOTI 04-07-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8905089)
factory shocks mounts were not intended to support vehicle weight. With that being said I would fab up something different with a double shear

Respectfully.... From what I'm seeing in the pic that is a double shear set-up & the factory thickness on the early frames should be close to 3/16" material.
Correct me if I'm missing something.

Since he would be relocating them inboard, they shouldn't be attached like that exact OE arrangement any longer but could still possibly be made to work as needed if the material thickness is enough.

There's many a C/O mount/tabs out there @ .188" thick material. IMHO, it's prob easier to make something from scratch & upsize material to .250" but that wasn't the question he asked. I get that some guys like to repurpose things if/when possible.

verdell 04-12-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8905089)

Stock 60-62 upper and lower shock mounts are double sheared from 3/16 thick material.