The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 01-30-2019 08:08 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

1 Attachment(s)
I've been grinding and grinding away on the pan. Too bad I had to add that filler rod on the one side there. Sure makes for alot more grinding. :waah: I'm almost ready to do another surgery here on the inner rocker. Hoping for a solid rust free floor for the middle of February! :metal: The shop floor has also been much less clutery since I installed the hose reel.

TA_C10 01-30-2019 11:15 PM

Looking good man. I'm going through the same ol crap. Fitment on these replacement panels is hit or miss. Right now I'm working on my inner roof header panel and I had to make like 8 relief cuts on that thing to make it follow the roof line properly... Floor panels, kick panels, rockers, everything I have replaced has been off and I had to make fit proper. Good luck man, keep up the good work!

Kronald_70GMC 02-01-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8455177)
Looking good man. I'm going through the same ol crap. Fitment on these replacement panels is hit or miss. Right now I'm working on my inner roof header panel and I had to make like 8 relief cuts on that thing to make it follow the roof line properly... Floor panels, kick panels, rockers, everything I have replaced has been off and I had to make fit proper. Good luck man, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the read! I just finished catching up with your thread and I'm subed. Thanks as well for the compliments.

Kronald_70GMC 02-06-2019 11:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back at it again tonight. Good news is that my floor pan is one piece again, bad news is its time to grind again. :waah: I ended up scoring some t5 fluorescent fixtures off work so I had to go out with the old in with the new. I have to say it's damn bright now. :metal: Hoping to stick more on this floor for a while now and less on garage updates. :lol: After all it is titled "My 1970 GMC Project" not "My Garage, A total transformation" ;) Here's what I did tonight...

72 tigger 02-07-2019 05:57 AM

Making progress- lighting looks good too

Kronald_70GMC 02-07-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8460603)
Making progress- lighting looks good too

Thank you

Andyking1203 02-07-2019 12:00 PM

You have done a lot of work!!! Its looking good. I'm in the same process as you, but I decided to replace full pieces vs the patch thing.. keep up the good work!!!

Kronald_70GMC 02-07-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyking1203 (Post 8460730)
You have done a lot of work!!! Its looking good. I'm in the same process as you, but I decided to replace full pieces vs the patch thing.. keep up the good work!!!

Thank you. It would definitely be way cooler to do the whole thing vs this way. Only reason I'm doing it this way is because the patches came with the truck when I bought it lol

Kronald_70GMC 02-09-2019 06:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The day has finally come, no more rust on the floor:metal: Once I replace this last section, then I can finally install the cab supports. I'll have to get them blasted one of these days. Still not quite sure if I'm going to have to section this last pan though. Gonna need to do a bit more measuring before I do the final fit. Ive left my opening about 1/4" small all the way around so I don't end up with a big ugly gap like last time. ;)

TA_C10 02-09-2019 07:01 PM

Nice 👍. Progress feels good I'm sure as it does for me too. Looks solid :thumbs:.

Kronald_70GMC 02-09-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8462399)
Nice 👍. Progress feels good I'm sure as it does for me too. Looks solid :thumbs:.

Progress does feel good. Pretty soon I'll be able to cross out almost all of my cab floor "to do" list. And thanks, it is very solid now.

Scurry67 02-09-2019 08:49 PM

Nice progress! I'll follow along.

Kronald_70GMC 02-11-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 8462483)
Nice progress! I'll follow along.

Thanks! And thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Kronald_70GMC 02-11-2019 11:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Another successful evening in the garage even if it doesn't seem like it. :lol: At first it seemed like this pan was money in the bank and that I would not have to modify it at all. My exciment was short lived though as I realized I had to make the same backslash slice to close the gap as I had to make to the other side rear pan. Then on top of that, I had to make a lengthwise slice through 3/4 of the panel because even with the backslash cut, it was still 1/4" low of the cab corner. Now that I've got those two splices cut and welded back together, it is sitting pretty nice. I also took a gander at my to do list tonight for the first time in a while and was able to cross off all but three of my tasks for the floor repair! :metal:

TA_C10 02-12-2019 01:28 AM

Sorry to hear about the adjustments on the pan... It's those kinds of things that makes doing this work take twice as long... I'm battling my cab corners as we speak and also had to battle rockers, radio panel, and cab supports so I know the extra time your putting in.

They keep telling me it's worth it though... :waah:

Keep up the good work!

:chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 02-12-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8464137)
Sorry to hear about the adjustments on the pan... It's those kinds of things that makes doing this work take twice as long... I'm battling my cab corners as we speak and also had to battle rockers, radio panel, and cab supports so I know the extra time your putting in.

They keep telling me it's worth it though... :waah:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, how are your cab corners fitting? I had mine out last night and they are not made to the 90° that the cab floor is. If I set it flat along the back of the cab, the side is sitting up at least an inch from where it needs it to be. Looks like they will be the worst fit so far. :waah:

TA_C10 02-12-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8464242)
Thanks, how are your cab corners fitting? I had mine out last night and they are not made to the 90° that the cab floor is. If I set it flat along the back of the cab, the side is sitting up at least an inch from where it needs it to be. Looks like they will be the worst fit so far. :waah:

That's exactly what mine are doing as well. I tacked mine in last night on the passenger side and I started on the door side and worked my way around to the back of cab. I ended up having to cut a tack or two to re-adjust and it just doesn't fit great. But it stretched ok around and when I weld it to the floor pan from the backside underneath that will pull it in some and look fine I think. I'm not messing with it anymore it's close enough.

However when I do my drivers side I may take a different approach. I will be documenting all this with pics soon so keep an eye out for that on my thread maybe we can help each other out. :help:

Kronald_70GMC 02-12-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8464387)
That's exactly what mine are doing as well. I tacked mine in last night on the passenger side and I started on the door side and worked my way around to the back of cab. I ended up having to cut a tack or two to re-adjust and it just doesn't fit great. But it stretched ok around and when I weld it to the floor pan from the backside underneath that will pull it in some and look fine I think. I'm not messing with it anymore it's close enough.

However when I do my drivers side I may take a different approach. I will be documenting all this with pics soon so keep an eye out for that on my thread maybe we can help each other out. :help:

Quality parts:lol: I will keep an eye out for sure. My approach will be a little diffrent as I am going to be removing the pinch weld flange that hangs below the cab from sight. Although it should be similar.

Kronald_70GMC 02-13-2019 11:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The pan is all welded back together and the opening has been made to the correct size. Tomorrow I will be able to clean up my mating surfaces, lay down some weld through, then hopefully I'll have time to tack it into place. I also started welding shut all the seams at the top of my door openings as it is much nicer not having to weld upside down. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 02-16-2019 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just when a guy thinks he's got it all figured out, he's gotta go and make 3 more splice cuts. Worst part is one of them was basically upside down and my welder just doesn't seem to weld nice upside at all which can be seen by the amount of molten metal that dripped down below while welding. :waah: I'm happy overall though, the floor is one piece again and it's about 90% welded in. One another note though, now I've got a TON of grinding to do. I also have to get a new tank for the welder tomorrow, I ran it dry with all this splice welding. :lol: Have a good long weekend everyone. I wish you all lots of time to work on your truck. :chevy:

TA_C10 02-16-2019 01:24 PM

Great work man, keep it up. I'm out in the garage this weekend finishing cab corners and rockers!

Kronald_70GMC 02-16-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8467349)
Great work man, keep it up. I'm out in the garage this weekend finishing cab corners and rockers!

Right on! Maybe one day I'll catch up to you! :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 02-18-2019 07:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my welding tank exchanged on Saturday but then ran out of time to get into the garage by the time I got home. Then yesterday I had a family gathering so nothing got done either lol. But today after I shoveled the whole driveway, I made it out for about 2 hours and finished up welding in the floor pan. Then I started grinding:waah: as you may have realized by now, I do not enjoy grinding, but it's gotta be done so I just push through it. :b69::lol: I did manage to get some more seams welded up to between waiting for welds to cool as well. :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 03-13-2019 12:39 AM

Not alot of progress to report recently. I did do some more seam welding in the door opening and tonight I stripped a good chunk of the underside to bare metal. The progress will pick up pretty good again here though now that I finished the tile backsplash in the kitchen which is why I've been so slow for the past 2 weeks or so. Hopefully I'm test fitting the cab support soon. I can almost see the cab back down on the floor if I squint really hard. ;) :lol:

TA_C10 03-13-2019 01:16 PM

What kind of floor piece is that for the rear corner? It has what seems to be some drain provisions built into them?? Never seen that. Will you have a support that goes over the top of that piece I assume?

And this brings me to a question, I'd like my can sealed up but these cab corners and rockers where they meet don't seem to seal up nor do they seem to be designed to seal up... This doesn't make sense to me. I want to either leave them the way they are and build an extra piece inside cab corners that extends from floor to cab corner that is flat across and I can seal off or seal up the rims underneath somehow where the floors meet the corners and rockers...

What are your plans for this?