The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tranny wont shift (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=582936)

i heart square bodys 06-02-2013 09:40 PM

tranny wont shift

okay so here's the deal ! once again I'm having issues, this truck is hell ! i just did a 700r4 swap into my truck. i put a B&M shift kit in it, corvette servo, a deeper pan, lock-up controls and a secondary transmission oil cooler. I filled it up the fluid and put it in reverse and got no response from the tranny at all! same with all of the other gears. i have verified that the pump is working as the cooler lines have fluid in them. just wondering if anyone could shine some light on what is going on here ! my guess was that the filter isn't sealing properly (or is cracked) and there is fluid movement but not enough to make the truck move (like drinking through a straw with a crack in it). just wanted to hear any advice before having to pull the pan off again. thanks !

68Timber 06-02-2013 09:43 PM

Re: tranny wont shift

If you put the filter on and filled the pan, crank it back up and hold the brake and shift it through the gears. It takes a minute or so to start going into gear when you've drained the fluid.

i heart square bodys 06-02-2013 09:50 PM

already tried that, even had it up on jackstands and got nothing, maybe i have to wait longer?

68Timber 06-03-2013 06:41 AM

It should only take a minute to start going into gear. When you pulled a line to verify fluid movement, did it spray pretty good?

i heart square bodys 06-03-2013 11:44 AM

Nope just got a dribble it wasnt running when i removed it
Posted via Mobile Device

clinebarger 06-03-2013 10:01 PM

History on the unit??

Did you change the pressure regulator spring or Boost valves? If the snap ring didn't get seated. The Boost valves, Reg. spring & Reg. valve will be sitting in the bottom of the pan;)

i heart square bodys 06-03-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 6106063)
History on the unit??

Did you change the pressure regulator spring or Boost valves? If the snap ring didn't get seated. The Boost valves, Reg. spring & Reg. valve will be sitting in the bottom of the pan;)

well.... i took the pan off today actually and you will never guess what was laying in the bottom of it.... the boost valve.. i had a pretty good "awweee for f*ck!" moment haha but it could have been worse, i just have to make sure the lock ring is actually in this time .... kind of embarrassing really...