The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is this what they called cave and pave? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820648)

Woodnears 04-12-2021 07:58 PM

Is this what they called cave and pave?

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, I don稚 get in here much these days and for that I apologize! I知 trying to fix up these beat up 67 fenders and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I致e got several 68 fenders to use as patches but I知 struggling with trying to figure out where to cut for the patch. I could cut down at the trim line and remove a large portion of the nose but where is the best area to cut the back portion of this damaged area? I would greatly appreciate any input at all. Thanks! Circled area is what appears to be the effected area in question.

Woodnears 04-12-2021 08:30 PM

Re: Is this what they called cave and pave?

1 Attachment(s)
Because I know you are wondering. Here is what the other side looks like. At this point I知 not sure which side is worse off! I took a ton of bondo off the passenger side.

Woodnears 04-17-2021 11:38 AM

Come on folks, where do I start with this mess?

mongocanfly 04-17-2021 12:15 PM

I would get back far enough to get to the undamaged portion..or at least where it's good enough that you could hammer and dolley back to shape..
Your weld seam needs to be where you can where you can get to it to work it with a hammer and dolley as your welding...
I replaced a spare tire notch in one of my fenders,,with help from Dan and the board.!!..
What we did was do a series of tacks holding it all together..grind those leaving the spot welds a little thicker than the sheetmetal thicknes... then hammer and dolley those tacks...then keep repeating the process til its fully welded..
Keep it at zero gap between the 2 pieces..
Robert may come along and correct me .(again)...but maybe this'll help some..

LONGHAIR 04-18-2021 10:32 AM

I don't think I would try to patch that in. It's all there, it just need to be pushed around right. Access to the back side might make it tough, but good metal working is far better than filling with Bondo. Sure, you need some, but very little, just for final smoothing.
Save the patching for places where the metal it literally gone (rust)

Woodnears 04-18-2021 10:41 AM

Getting to that front corner will be difficult. I知 grabbing a stud welder today in hopes I can pull it all back out! I知 scared the metal is stretched quite a bit and I知 not sure how to shrink it with A hammer and Dolly. Any advice would be great

rcsbls2 04-18-2021 12:02 PM

Think about cutting the inner part so you can access back side. Drill spot welds at top, bottom and front edge. Then go back about 12" and cut down to where it meets bottom edge.Sounds like alot of work but then can work out damage. It will need to move out but also forward. After repaired only have to weld the inner back togather and plug weld around edges. Much less warping from welds.

rcsbls2 04-18-2021 12:09 PM

I don't think its stretched, but be careful working it out. You can easily stretch it. But with access to both sides you can go slow and work it out. Look at how the paintless dent repair people work out dents, much to be learned from them. You can get that out with almost no filler!

MP&C 04-18-2021 03:38 PM

Do you have pictures of the insides of the fenders behind the headlight bucket area?

Woodnears 04-18-2021 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up of the drivers side. I値l pull the fender and get a few of the inside soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Woodnears 04-18-2021 08:43 PM

Whoever was in here last ground this metal down pretty thin. I just tried pulling on it and opened it up like a can!

Woodnears 04-18-2021 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here痴 a pic of the inside as requested.

MP&C 04-18-2021 09:31 PM

For those hard to get spots like that, sometimes a round rod with the end rounded as well, use it as a punch with a dead blow hammer, and set the outside in a large shot bag. Or in a grassy yard. Or whatever works. Shortened wooden broom handle less likely to stretch ;) . Look at what you have at your disposal that would punch/pry/manipulate those outward from the back side. EVERYTHING is a tool. Find the one that works.

Woodnears 04-19-2021 11:16 AM

drivers side fender is trashed and missing metal or in some areas ground paper thin and unworkable. Passenger side is wavy enough that i would be inclined to either find another fender or do some serious patching. Im gonna keep playing with these and see what my options are. If anyone has some good patches and or advice please let me know. If you have a good set of 67-68 fenders im a buyer!

Woodnears 04-19-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP&C (Post 8910277)
For those hard to get spots like that, sometimes a round rod with the end rounded as well, use it as a punch with a dead blow hammer, and set the outside in a large shot bag. Or in a grassy yard. Or whatever works. Shortened wooden broom handle less likely to stretch ;) . Look at what you have at your disposal that would punch/pry/manipulate those outward from the back side. EVERYTHING is a tool. Find the one that works.

Yeah i have a 1/2" steel rod that is rounded off on the end just for these hard to reach spots. Cant find it so i will be making anouther. Might try the wood stick as well, thats a good idea.

Woodnears 04-20-2021 08:46 AM

I called around and was able to find a body shop that was willing to accept this non insurance job. Most shops around here wont touch these non insurance jobs. They quoted me a grand to get the whole front clip straight and in primer. I plan to see if they can shoot it in SPI epoxy!

Woodnears 04-27-2021 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well after a few weeks of looking around for a better fender I decided to try to fix this bad one on the passenger side. I figured I couldn't make it any worse right? I grabbed the spot weld cutters and went to town. I removed the inner skin from the front/nose of the passenger fender. Once removed I had all the access I could ever need to get a dolly in there. With a regular toe dolly I went to town, most of the major damage went away rather quickly. i spent a few hours tapping and banging! I had it out in the yard up against the side of the garage a few times with a long 1/2' steel rod ground to the profile of the brow area, all I could find that would reach in there. I hammered my thumb nail into oblivion doing so. Once i got the initial shape back I spent an hour or two with the slapping file to get everything where it needed to be. I moved my attention to the lower cup. Although it had never been patched it sure saw some creative body work at some point in the past. I had to pound it back to shape then fill a couple dozen holes. Its not perfect by any means but im fairly astonished how well it came out, especially for my first attempt at it. Here are a couple before and after shots.

Woodnears 04-27-2021 09:58 AM

I will continue on the small rust patch in the cup next.

mongocanfly 04-27-2021 12:22 PM

Nice job