The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Sad Story About a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487223)

McNugget 10-02-2011 11:36 PM

A Sad Story About a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne

Hey Guys,
I haven't posted anything in a very long time because I lost my truck in a very devastating way. I owned a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne that was my absolute baby. I bought it in November of 09. I didn't get to do any restoration work to the body as it was my daily driver and I had to put most of my money into keeping it running and in tune. After weeks of run-ins with 2 different sets of county police officers and many of tears, my truck was seized because it turned out to be involved in a case from 4 years prior dating to 07. It had the VIN to a stolen truck on the frame, but the VIN on the cab was a clean and clear VIN registered to me. Even worse so, the frame belonged to a 1972 Chevy truck and so it has been a huge mess! I am devastated that I no longer have my truck or the money to buy another vehicle, let alone another cheyenne :( The saddest part of all is that the truck was given back to the owner of the frame. I wish so badly I could have my truck back!! But please wish me the best luck in finding justice in all of this. I will also be posting my 1972 Chevy 4x4 frame for sell on here if any one is interested. :waah::whine::whine:

heeroyue2002 10-03-2011 02:09 AM

Re: A Sad Story About a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne

fight it in court?
tell em the only thing that belongs to the guy is the frame?
try to get compensation from the seller etc?
i wouldnt give up.

dbstepside 10-03-2011 09:23 AM

that doesn't sound right that he got your truck, maybe if you had been the thief it would be justice but i'm sure this wasn't the case. i could see that you might have to give him his parts but you bought them in what you thought was a legit deal. i agree with heeroyue that you should fight this. had your truck ever been inspected by a state agency if so you could definitely fight it as they didn't catch it before. good luck dennis

fast50ranger 10-03-2011 09:34 AM

I would give it back to him in pieces

71swb4x4 10-03-2011 09:45 AM

There are two sides to this story guys. Some guy had his truck stolen and either chopped up, or the VIN on the cab was swapped to make it appear legitimate. By the way the case was handled I am guessing the VIN was swapped and the whole truck was the 2007 owner's truck. It is our job as truck purchasers to verify the information before we buy. It is a crime to possess stolen property, this is why. That law is on the books to protect us.

McNuggett was screwed over by the guy that sold him the truck, not by the guy whose truck was stolen. Unfortunately a very expensive lesson learned. I do agree with the comment above about going after the guy who sold you the truck.

71sierragrande 10-03-2011 10:33 AM

Thats a heart wrenching story. I can understand a certain mourning period after such a thing. I hope we will be able to help u out in the future. Keep us posted on any future purchases so maybe some of us can try to pitch in with some parts. You would be welcome to anything I have left after my resto. If you get a sierra, I will be able to give you some emblems and side molding as I will be shaving mine. Good luck my friend and dive back in if you can, its the only way to move on from this IMO.

Clyde65 10-03-2011 11:10 AM

man, i have walked away from a couple parts trucks that the "owner" or seller couldnt verify the VIN with me, that would scare the bajeabers out of me. But you do have a good attitude about it though. most of us wouldnt.

So you had it titled, licensed and inspected and a while after they came and took it? how did that all pan out? what made them look at the VIN on the frame?

no moa 10-03-2011 11:17 AM

You have a clean title to the cab? Go get the damn cab!!! I'd be on his doorstep with a lawyer and the title paperwork getting my cab back.
As for the frame, 71swb4x4 is right, you can't own stolen property, but if you have the correct paperwork, you should get some of you truck back.

Zoomin 10-03-2011 12:14 PM

How in the heck did they ever find the VIN# of your frame?
If my truck were stolen, I'd never have that kind of detective work going on - I'm not that lucky.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChevLoRay 10-03-2011 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Missouri is the "Show Me" state. Sounds like someone said "show me the chassis VIN".

Makes a good case for doing everything you can to verify what you intend to buy.

BTW, I looked at a complete '72 LWB, that is supposed to run. It needs work, but it is available. PM me and I can give you some more info. But, here's a pic and it's not impossible to think you can pick it up for less than $500. Yeah, it needs a battery. Oh, I don't have a dog in this truck fight. I just wanted to see it after I saw the ad in the paper. What I don't know whether or not it has a clear title. Hmmm.....could be a repeat of what you just went through.

Yep, this is how this stuff continues to happen....and, I have a '68 cab for my truck that only came with a Bill of Sale, and the statement from the seller that he can't find the title after a tornado came through and damaged his house. Nope, the title was in the name of the previous owner/seller.

68 IRON 10-03-2011 04:12 PM

For all of us reading and not knowing where the numbers on the frame are, could someone post? We don't know the whole story. How did they happen to be looking for it on the frame anyway....weird! I wanna see what my two "new" trucks read.

no moa 10-03-2011 04:21 PM

Mine are on the pass side on the front of the outside frame towards the horn, and almost smack dab in the middle on the outside frame same side. I had to sandblast my frame to find the numbers.

67swb72klb 10-03-2011 04:24 PM

there is one on the L/h top frame horn in the front i think just just the last 6 digits

70cst 10-03-2011 04:45 PM

This is indeed a sad story ...

eightbanger 10-03-2011 05:43 PM

Feel for ya mate.

trev1 10-03-2011 08:11 PM

Ill keep an eye out for a cheap one in SWMO Joplin area for u......Sorry for the lost truck...

DANTIP 10-03-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 (Post 4932443)
There are two sides to this story guys. Some guy had his truck stolen and either chopped up, or the VIN on the cab was swapped to make it appear legitimate. By the way the case was handled I am guessing the VIN was swapped and the whole truck was the 2007 owner's truck. It is our job as truck purchasers to verify the information before we buy. It is a crime to possess stolen property, this is why. That law is on the books to protect us.

McNuggett was screwed over by the guy that sold him the truck, not by the guy whose truck was stolen. Unfortunately a very expensive lesson learned. I do agree with the comment above about going after the guy who sold you the truck.

There must be more to this story. How did they choose your truck to check? Does the VIN tag on the truck have the original rosette rivets in it? Does your truck match the description of the stolen truck (color, interior, etc.)?

McNugget 10-03-2011 08:47 PM

I would love to post the whole story and all the details, but because it is a currently ongoing case, I am limited to my post. But basically the VIN #'s are located on the plate on the cab by the door, their should be one on a sticker in the glove box (but isn't considered legitimate because those are easily swapped), and the last 7 digits of the VIN are located on the top of the frame underneath the power steering box, or right above the drivers side wheel. Mine had 3 different VIN's on it and none of them matched eachother. Of course the cab was licensed to me and the VIN in the glove box was registered to nothing, and I was only 16 at the time of purchase of the truck, so I didn't even know of the VIN on the frame, I thought it was a serial number. But to those of you worried about having a cab without a title or anything like that, don't be worried. Whenever you take the truck for inspection, they won't know to look for things like that non-matching VINs. And it you don't have a title, you can always apply for a lost or abandoned title for the truck. How the guy was able to trace my truck to being his, has become a SUPER sticky story. I'll share with you what I can about it. The police believed it to have been chop-shopped, because of the 71 cab being on a 72 frame, but all of the belongings ( dash pad, seat, window visors, steering wheel, etc.) were identified as the 72's owner's. They are trying very hard to figure everything out and I ended up without anything, not by my choice. I am trying to fight to get what I can. And trust me, being a girl makes everything tougher. Thank you all for your support. My main reason for posting this story was to warn others to be careful in your future purchases!! If you have anything you might be worried about you can feel free to contact me I will share what I can.

McNugget 10-03-2011 08:50 PM

The weirdest part about it all is that I know that the cab is a factory 71 because of the holes where the rearview mirror and the panels on the doors. But before I owned this truck someone had taken the rearview mirror glued on the front glass. So it rules out the VIN swapping I believe...

McNugget 10-03-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71sierragrande (Post 4932501)
Thats a heart wrenching story. I can understand a certain mourning period after such a thing. I hope we will be able to help u out in the future. Keep us posted on any future purchases so maybe some of us can try to pitch in with some parts. You would be welcome to anything I have left after my resto. If you get a sierra, I will be able to give you some emblems and side molding as I will be shaving mine. Good luck my friend and dive back in if you can, its the only way to move on from this IMO.

Thank you so much! This means a lot to me to know there are still some honest people in the world!!

McNugget 10-03-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANTIP (Post 4933322)
There must be more to this story. How did they choose your truck to check? Does the VIN tag on the truck have the original rosette rivets in it? Does your truck match the description of the stolen truck (color, interior, etc.)?

Well it was apparently spotted by someone that knew the 72 owner and they identified it as his truck because of the "unique black interior", color, spray-in bed liner, and a little pull in the front bumper. The VIN plate does have the rosette rivets in it, but upon learning recently a machinist can very easily change one because until a short while ago those rivettes were available for the public!! And so its very, very weird.

Fantom 10-03-2011 09:01 PM

Wow, this is unbelievable. I hope it all works out for you, McNugget

DANTIP 10-03-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNugget (Post 4933391)
Well it was apparently spotted by someone that knew the 72 owner and they identified it as his truck because of the "unique black interior", color, spray-in bed liner, and a little pull in the front bumper. The VIN plate does have the rosette rivets in it, but upon learning recently a machinist can very easily change one because until a short while ago those rivettes were available for the public!! And so its very, very weird.

Bad Deal!! Within the past few weeks I responded to someone posting a truck with a 71 cab with a 72 VIN. I was able to tell the prospective buyer before the transaction. Please know there are people that are willing and able to help determine the authenticity of trucks. This also serves as a painful lesson we should all pay attention to. I would be beyond pissed if I lost a truck because of a scum-bag thief!!!

Vintage Windmills 10-03-2011 09:23 PM

Hopefully they catch the lowlife who stole the truck. Hope you can get some compensation or something.

For the couple guys that said verify the VIN, how exactly do you know your "verification" is effective? Is there a national database of stolen vehicle VIN's that any cop can check? Or is it state by state? if state by state, you would have to verify with all 50 to know for sure?

Tomahawk30 10-04-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANTIP (Post 4933411)
Bad Deal!! Within the past few weeks I responded to someone posting a truck with a 71 cab with a 72 VIN. I was able to tell the prospective buyer before the transaction. Please know there are people that are willing and able to help determine the authenticity of trucks. This also serves as a painful lesson we should all pay attention to. I would be beyond pissed if I lost a truck because of a scum-bag thief!!!

Yup, this made me sick to read just a few days after I nearly drove 10 hrs each way to buy what I thought was going to be a great deal. I just had these nagging doubts in the back of my mind and posting on here for feedback really paid off. Hopefully everyone will feed comfortable doing the same in the future...