The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   cleaning engine compartment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=630923)

lalink72 06-01-2014 05:01 PM

cleaning engine compartment

I'm looking for some advice/tips on how to cleanup the front/bottom of my motor and front suspension area on my '85 chevy c20. The motor,apparantlly, had an oil leak etc. for many years before i got it. After removing the fan,fan shroud, alternator, a/c compressor, power steering pump I got a real good idea how bad it is. At 1st I thought someone had tried to put and under-coating on the truck. It is really caked up on the front frame and suspension parts. Anyway, any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

thefraze_1020 06-02-2014 07:59 PM

Re: cleaning engine compartment

Once, at my job, I had to clean the engine bay of an old forklift that had shot main seals, which leaked oil for 20 years.

I found what worked really well is to first scrape the thick stuff, then spray a d-Limonene degreaser (such as Orange Away).

It softened the grease right up.

TBONE1964 06-02-2014 10:13 PM

Put your rain coat on and get a pressure washer to blow off the heavy stuff. Then use "Easy Off" oven cleaner and let it sit for about 30 minutes then pressure wash again. It will do wonders. Protect your skin and any painted areas you want to stay painted. Easy Off works better than paint stripper and it is excellent in cutting grease.

1963c-10 06-03-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 6703977)
Put your rain coat on and get a pressure washer to blow off the heavy stuff. Then use "Easy Off" oven cleaner and let it sit for about 30 minutes then pressure wash again. It will do wonders. Protect your skin and any painted areas you want to stay painted. Easy Off works better than paint stripper and it is excellent in cutting grease.

Especially if you get the one with sodium hydroxide.....good stuff.

BR3W CITY 06-03-2014 06:55 PM

I use engine bright, right after coming home from a track day. Let that stuff bake in there while I take a shower, then come out with a beer n hose it all back off with the pressure washer set to "mist". High pressure water is your enemy, but lower pressure water wont hurt anything under hood.

pwdcougar 06-04-2014 12:10 PM

I've always used Gunk. $4 or $5 a can at Walmart. Hit the heavy stuff with a scraper first though. 40 years worth of hardened grease came right off the trans and transfer case of my burb using Gunk and a small electric pressure washer. The raincoat is a great idea. Wish I had thought of that!

Paul