The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   regular water temp gauge for trans temp. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=578003)

69Beauty 04-29-2013 05:17 PM

regular water temp gauge for trans temp.

Planning on filling the vacant hole in my cluster (vacuum) with another temperature gauge and would like to use a sender in my transmission to monitor that. my problem is that the gauge has a specific resistance (300-55) or somehting like that and the hole in my trans pan is for 1/8 thread so i cant use a cylinder head sender so i wanna know if you know of a sender thats 1/8 and has same resistance as factory water temp. or a sender that is close and i could put an inline resistor to make it work... any help is appreciated.

JimKshortstep4x4 04-29-2013 08:01 PM

Re: regular water temp gauge for trans temp.

My local NAPA was able to cross reference sending units to match the resistance range needed on the dash gauge. Whether they have the right one with the thread you want may be the issue. If you have the pan off you can braze in the proper size nut for the original sending unit.

A temperature gauge for the transmission migh be useful. Good luck on your project.

Jim

yuccales 04-29-2013 08:50 PM

Maybe mount the sender between the trans cooler (inlet side) and the trans line. Use a piece of tubing with the proper flare fittings welded to the ends, weld the correct bung for the sender your going to use on to the tubing. Weld a mount to the tube also. You could mount it under the battery tray. Also if you are good with plastic and have an extra cluster lens, you could cut out the word "temperature" with a hole saw, and use it in place of the empty vac hole. Look forward to seeing what you do.

69Beauty 04-30-2013 09:55 AM

thanks for the help but the pan is already installed and has a already welded in fitting for an 1/8 sending unit and i just put brand new copper lines on my transmission so i dont wanna have to mess with those again. anybody else have an idea?

MARKDTN 04-30-2013 10:30 AM

Look at one for an 84 Corvette oil temperature and see if it is the right resistance.

kehstr 12-12-2015 10:30 PM

Do you have pictures of this?

70chev20 07-28-2016 03:01 PM

I want to do this as well, I have heard that the auto meter 2385 sender will be close.

Racer382D 07-28-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Beauty (Post 6043289)
thanks for the help but the pan is already installed and has a already welded in fitting for an 1/8 sending unit and i just put brand new copper lines on my transmission so i dont wanna have to mess with those again. anybody else have an idea?

You can make it work, and should be able to adapt about anything to 1/8th pipe but I would get rid of those copper trans lines ASAP!