The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   LS3 - Power Steering & Coil Relocation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=694696)

66ChevyMax 01-14-2016 04:06 PM

LS3 - Power Steering & Coil Relocation

I need to relocate the Power Steering Reservoir and Coils, anyone got some good ideas or pictures?

Thanks,

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2020.25.53.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2020.26.31.jpg

solidaxel 01-14-2016 07:22 PM

Re: LS3 - Power Steering & Coil Relocation

NICE!
Watching this one!

Andy4639 01-14-2016 08:38 PM

I have seen a coil setup that mounts underneath the headers on the frame. The plug wires all run straight down. Very clean looking.

I have also seen them mounted on the backside of the intake which by the pictures you posted would be a good time to make a bracket for them and route wiring.

On another note, what the plan for that power steering reservoir in the way of the throttle body?
:chevy:

drfloyd 01-14-2016 09:20 PM

Nice setup. I'm partial to the coils mounted on the frame rail as Andy stated. That P/S reservoir appears to be the real issue.

solidaxel 01-15-2016 01:11 PM

Have you looked at the aftermarket like Dirty Dingo or BilletSpecial.
Your stock bracket has some value if it is to be sold

solidaxel 01-15-2016 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 7448612)
Have you looked at the aftermarket like Dirty Dingo or BilletSpecial.
Your stock bracket has some value if it is to be sold

That would be for the Alt P/S bracket

Andy4639 01-15-2016 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is a truck motor LS so I guess that's the difference in the power steering.
Mine sits way lower on the motor.
:chevy:

66ChevyMax 01-18-2016 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the responses, I have a kit that will relocate the coils on top of the new valve covers so I will start there and see how that looks. As for the PS reservoir it's a bit more difficult. Finding a location for it I won't be the problem, getting the hose back to the pump could be difficult as it is tucked away right behind the current reservoir location. Getting through the belt may be a bit of a challenge.

67chevy1series 01-24-2016 04:10 AM

I plan on running the corvette style accessory drive with the same power steering reservoir and I've done some research on how that all fits together... Seems to me since the inlet for the power steering fluid to enter the pump from the reservoir faces upward and to the passenger side the reservoir would need to be mount towards the passenger side of the pump for a more direct flow or line to the pump, problem is for that pump to be happy and live it's full life without any problems your not supposed to mount the reservoir or any reservoir lower then the level of the pump... So that only leaves you with keeping the one you have, where you have it, or mounting it kind of high up in the engine bay and having a long hose snake through to the pump.

homemade87 01-24-2016 09:39 AM

My guess is that you will not be able to use that corvette pump and alt bracket that you have . You will have to go to the lower mount ps truck pump or similar . Most likely there is an aftermarket bracket that will do it . Looks like its time to start calling some of them .

Looks like you are going to have a nice set up when your done .

66ChevyMax 01-24-2016 12:36 PM

67, I have to agree, magnuson makes a bracket to relocate the reservoir to the upper area on the passenger side, but as luck would have it the KWIK a/c is located in the location they use. I am going to try to find an alternate spot there as well. Passenger side is the only choice with this setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 7459006)
I plan on running the corvette style accessory drive with the same power steering reservoir and I've done some research on how that all fits together... Seems to me since the inlet for the power steering fluid to enter the pump from the reservoir faces upward and to the passenger side the reservoir would need to be mount towards the passenger side of the pump for a more direct flow or line to the pump, problem is for that pump to be happy and live it's full life without any problems your not supposed to mount the reservoir or any reservoir lower then the level of the pump... So that only leaves you with keeping the one you have, where you have it, or mounting it kind of high up in the engine bay and having a long hose snake through to the pump.

87, believe me I am making phone calls and may have to go with truck setup but if I've learned anything with custom trucks it is when you change 1 thing it creates 5 more problems. :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by homemade87 (Post 7459062)
My guess is that you will not be able to use that corvette pump and alt bracket that you have . You will have to go to the lower mount ps truck pump or similar . Most likely there is an aftermarket bracket that will do it . Looks like its time to start calling some of them .

Looks like you are going to have a nice set up when your done .

Chevy454lsx 03-28-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 7459264)
67, I have to agree, magnuson makes a bracket to relocate the reservoir to the upper area on the passenger side, but as luck would have it the KWIK a/c is located in the location they use. I am going to try to find an alternate spot there as well. Passenger side is the only choice with this setup.

I am in the process of installing the same blower as you with the same pulley set up. Just curious did you find a solution on the power steering reservoir and also what did you do with the coolant lines for blower that are right up against the Kwik ac mount?

87, believe me I am making phone calls and may have to go with truck setup but if I've learned anything with custom trucks it is when you change 1 thing it creates 5 more problems. :uhmk:

Posted via Mobile Device

Robznob11 03-28-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 7459264)

Fortunately we live right down the road from Lubbock wrench a part and you can get that truck set up for pennies on the dollar and try it out ....nice to see a local with such a nice build ! I'm jealous!!!!

66ChevyMax 03-28-2016 10:31 PM

I ended up going with the Wegner Belt Drive, this thing is sweet and fixed all the problems. The PS reservoir will still be remote but can easily be located on the drivers side.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2017.57.29.jpg

Chevy454lsx 03-28-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 7539024)
I ended up going with the Wegner Belt Drive, this thing is sweet and fixed all the problems. The PS reservoir will still be remote but can easily be located on the drivers side.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2017.57.29.jpg

Very nice build. Yea I've seen that kit just didn't want to spend that kind of money on a serpentine set up
Posted via Mobile Device

66ChevyMax 03-30-2016 05:40 PM

It wasn't cheap but it solved 2 of my issues, looks sweet and I like the isolated blower belt

Chevy454lsx 03-30-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 7541938)
It wasn't cheap but it solved 2 of my issues, looks sweet and I like the isolated blower belt

Yes the isolated blower belt is a good design. I just found out Kwik makes a ac bracket to mount the Sanden Mini compressor down low runs off 4 rib crank pulley. Solved my problem
Posted via Mobile Device

66ChevyMax 03-31-2016 09:21 AM

Here's what I did to relocate the coils:

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2016.14.46.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2016.21.21.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...2019.56.34.jpg

solidaxel 03-31-2016 09:34 AM

Are the wires by MSD, and how long are they?

66ChevyMax 03-31-2016 09:48 AM

Yes MSD, it was a universal kit that I cut to length, I think the shortest is 18" and the longest a little over 24".

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 7542637)
Are the wires by MSD, and how long are they?

solidaxel 03-31-2016 10:11 AM

Thanks and keep up the nice work !!

roushinator 03-31-2016 10:48 AM

Nice work! Clean install.

Advanced Design 03-31-2016 08:11 PM

That looks very good!

I just saw this thread, started reading at the top and was going to suggest Wegner. They are on the consideration list for accessory drive for my build.

What are you perceptions about the product? Good quality, well designed?

66ChevyMax 04-01-2016 09:15 AM

The quality is top notch, the stationary fronts on the idlers will look cool when running. Went together in about 90 minutes, fit was spot on.

I highly recommend this kit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7543235)
That looks very good!

I just saw this thread, started reading at the top and was going to suggest Wegner. They are on the consideration list for accessory drive for my build.

What are you perceptions about the product? Good quality, well designed?

solidaxel 04-01-2016 09:19 AM

My only concern with any aftermarket drives is a "sweeek" when something powers up!