The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

cornerstone 02-26-2020 12:26 AM

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Now I want to go back and change my firewall design. All that extra space inside the cab has to be a good thing! I wonder if it will make the AC install any easier? (I've never installed a vintage air kit in a c10 before, so I don't know if that would be prime real estate or not.

TA_C10 02-26-2020 12:52 AM

Sweet man, looks fantastic, wish I did that now...

Kronald_70GMC 02-26-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8684685)
Now I want to go back and change my firewall design. All that extra space inside the cab has to be a good thing! I wonder if it will make the AC install any easier? (I've never installed a vintage air kit in a c10 before, so I don't know if that would be prime real estate or not.

I have never installed a vintage air unit either but they do look fairly tight up in that corner so hopfully it helps a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8684691)
Sweet man, looks fantastic, wish I did that now...

Haha it always fun looking back and thinking, darn why didn't I think of that before.:crazy:
Your looking like you'll be driving a complete truck in no time man. That's fantastic!:metal:

Kronald_70GMC 02-29-2020 07:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More firewall smoothing progress over the last few days. I was wondering how others are getting their wiring harness into the engine bay without coming through the firewall. Is there normally a bulkhead of sorts involved when going through the kick panel area? I'm trying to figure that all out befor I re-install the cowl panel.

Kronald_70GMC 03-04-2020 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The passenger side of the firewall is now fully shaved. Next will be the drivers side which will be a bit more interesting I think. I've still got to figure out where and how to get my wiring into the engine bay without coming through the firewall. I may just have to order up a wiring kit from American Autowire with the tax refund this year.;) That way I can get that part figured out before I go closing in my cowl panel.

TA_C10 03-06-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC (Post 8688820)
The passenger side of the firewall is now fully shaved. Next will be the drivers side which will be a bit more interesting I think. I've still got to figure out where and how to get my wiring into the engine bay without coming through the firewall. I may just have to order up a wiring kit from American Autowire with the tax refund this year.;) That way I can get that part figured out before I go closing in my cowl panel.

Kronald, great metal work man, looking fantastic. And before you go spend all that money on AA harness(which is awesome if you do get it). You can go with the universal from speedway a lot cheaper and use something like these cordgrip bulkhead connectors to hide the wires. If I had known about these I would have went this route because I modified the heck out of my AA harness.... You could hide these in the kick panel area coming out via the fenders or under the rockers, or whatever. I might use them in my door jams when i install my power windows/locks/stereo etc.

CordGrips:
https://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_Cordgrips/

And check this thread out too, it's how I found this idea:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556004

This is the harness I would have purchased. Good wiring, plenty of length, and you can get all the GM connectors too!
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ss,229874.html

Kronald_70GMC 03-06-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8690020)
Kronald, great metal work man, looking fantastic. And before you go spend all that money on AA harness(which is awesome if you do get it). You can go with the universal from speedway a lot cheaper and use something like these cordgrip bulkhead connectors to hide the wires. If I had known about these I would have went this route because I modified the heck out of my AA harness.... You could hide these in the kick panel area coming out via the fenders or under the rockers, or whatever. I might use them in my door jams when i install my power windows/locks/stereo etc.

CordGrips:
https://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_Cordgrips/

And check this thread out too, it's how I found this idea:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556004

This is the harness I would have purchased. Good wiring, plenty of length, and you can get all the GM connectors too!
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ss,229874.html

Thanks for all the info! I like the look of that flex conduit. Also that harness is alot cheaper! You probably just saved me about $400.

Kronald_70GMC 03-06-2020 11:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was at it again tonight. Did some more surgery on the firewall in an attempt to get it looking more symmetrical and clean up the clutter. I think it will look pretty darn good once it has been all welded up and ground down. I had to cut a very small piece of the thick plate that supports the booster and column ect to achieve this. I do not think that it will affect the integrity in any way.

chewychevy67 03-08-2020 03:59 PM

That interesting. Never seen that done before

Getter-Done 03-08-2020 04:44 PM

Nice improvement.
Looking good.

Kronald_70GMC 03-08-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8691169)
That interesting. Never seen that done before

I figured this way I would never have to worry about my 396 valve covers ever hitting that section of the firewall as I believe that is a common problem? Also my perfectionism is making me do crazy things. :crazy:

Kronald_70GMC 03-08-2020 06:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I was working on my firewall again today and I just hit a milestone with this cab. I've officially burned through one whole 10 lb roll of mig wire.:lol: I also got the rest of my most recent mod all welded up and ready for grinding. I'm very happy that I did this, IMO it just looks so much better. Have a good one!

cornerstone 03-08-2020 07:23 PM

It really does take the clean firewall look a step further. I want to do it to my cab now that I see how uniform it can be. It really is the one spot that becomes problematic. The gained real estate in the back of the engine bay is not lost real estate in the foot well area inside the cab. Its a win win other than another day or so in the build process.:chevy:

Kronald_70GMC 03-08-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8691328)
It really does take the clean firewall look a step further. I want to do it to my cab now that I see how uniform it can be. It really is the one spot that becomes problematic. The gained real estate in the back of the engine bay is not lost real estate in the foot well area inside the cab. Its a win win other than another day or so in the build process.:chevy:

I do agree 100% with you. The only way I could ever see it being a problem is if your running a manual transmission as there would be no place for the clutch. Then again I'm sure if a guy really wanted to, it could be done.

Kronald_70GMC 03-08-2020 07:53 PM

By the way, I'm sure that you must have a build thread somewhere but I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to take a read through it if you could drop a link.

cornerstone 03-08-2020 09:31 PM

To my shame I have never started a thread. I've wanted to but just haven't done it. I sure have learned a ton from other guys work. I really haven't done much of anything that's truly original... it's all been done before. That's probably a poor excuse though. I'll give it a think again.;)

A good reason to do it is for others to help keep me motivated, and also to be able to show anyone that asks me about it in the future, when I am daily driving it.

Kronald_70GMC 03-08-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8691411)
To my shame I have never started a thread. I've wanted to but just haven't done it. I sure have learned a ton from other guys work. I really haven't done much of anything that's truly original... it's all been done before. That's probably a poor excuse though. I'll give it a think again.;)

A good reason to do it is for others to help keep me motivated, and also to be able to show anyone that asks me about it in the future, when I am daily driving it.

You should definatly get on it man. It is very motivating to have guys following along and watching/waiting with anticipation. You can also learn a ton of cool things. This site is an amazing collection of knowledge and skill. Plus I'd love to follow along with your progress.

Kronald_70GMC 03-17-2020 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Firewall update

I managed to get some grinding and a bit more welding accomplished in the last week. It was slow going as I was working a side job almost every evening over the last week. This week will hopfully see some quicker progress. I got the expansion that I had done to the engine recess ground down and complete. It will definatly be needing a coat of filler.:lol: After that was complete, I welded up a couple more holes in that area of the firewall. I have one left to fill and then I have to come up with a plan for where the accelerator pedal mounts. I want to eliminate the three captive nuts for a cleaner look. Probably just going to weld some studs to the inner firewall.

cornerstone 03-17-2020 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your firewall is going to look killer all evened out like that. I notice that you got rid of the little bump that was on the top of the passenger side heater delete panel. I did that also. I do plan on "permanently borrowing" your idea on the drivers side. I've never seen that done and it's a huge improvement.

Kronald_70GMC 03-18-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8696978)
Your firewall is going to look killer all evened out like that. I notice that you got rid of the little bump that was on the top of the passenger side heater delete panel. I did that also. I do plan on "permanently borrowing" your idea on the drivers side. I've never seen that done and it's a huge improvement.

Right on man! If my ideas can improve other builds that's fantastic. Thanks for the compliments. Your firewall is so clean.

Kronald_70GMC 03-19-2020 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got the center of the firewall all buttoned up now except for the accelerator pedal mounting nuts. I need to come up with a plan for getting rid of those but I figure I better get the pedal first. Being that this is a 72 cab and my truck is a 70, the pedal is diffrent but luckily enough my dad thinks he's got a pedal for me. Just have to go over there and see if we can find it lol. I'm also going to be attempting some more crazy ideas on the drivers side of the firewall and wanted some opinions on it. In the picture, I've drawn a line where I would like to extend my raised portion. My question is, what do you guys think I should do about the park brake mounting location. I figure I could incorporate it into my section but after all this firewall smoothing, I'm wondering if that would just look lazy leaving one cable coming through. Would it be worth my while to look into some sort of electric park brake or something if it even exists?

cornerstone 03-20-2020 09:31 AM

Oh it exists, but be prepared to drop 500 USD. I think its called E-stop. Whether or not to go through the extra work? Well that's on you. Do you plan on showing the truck or driving the snot out of it? I plan on the latter so I'm only making changes that will satisfy my desire to have what I think is a cool truck.

Kronald_70GMC 03-20-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8698539)
Oh it exists, but be prepared to drop 500 USD. I think its called E-stop. Whether or not to go through the extra work? Well that's on you. Do you plan on showing the truck or driving the snot out of it? I plan on the latter so I'm only making changes that will satisfy my desire to have what I think is a cool truck.

That is a good point. I am planning to show it but I'm still going to be driving the snot out of it as well. And at that price, I think I'd just be working the original park brake into my metalwork. Thanks for input. I'm glad to see that you got a thread going on your build as well.

chewychevy67 03-20-2020 01:19 PM

I would raise what you have drawn so it's symmetrical with the other side. It will look more detailed with the e brake area bumped up but i would have the threads welded on the Inside of the firewall so you can't see the bolt /nut. Just the grommet and cable viable on the outer firewall.

Kronald_70GMC 03-21-2020 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 8698654)
I would raise what you have drawn so it's symmetrical with the other side. It will look more detailed with the e brake area bumped up but i would have the threads welded on the Inside of the firewall so you can't see the bolt /nut. Just the grommet and cable viable on the outer firewall.

I think that will be exactly the route I go with it. Clean and functional.