The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   *NOOB* about to do an LS swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=715865)

snakedoc 08-23-2016 06:56 PM

*NOOB* about to do an LS swap

Hey guys, I am about to jump off into my first LS Swap. I have purchased an LQ4 with a stage 2 cam, 5.3 heads, and some other goodies for my 72 C10. My neighbor has agreed to help me do the swap, but I have a few questions for the general group.

1. Headers. My SBC currently has short tube headers. If I put short tube headers on the LS, will my current exhaust work? Its okay to tell me if that's a stupid question.

2. Fuel line. I'm going with the blazer tank and 97 chevy fuel pump route. The engine is a 2001, so there is a return line. Should I run -6 or -8 for the return. And does anybody have any idea how much line I'll need of each for a 72 shortbed? Is there a kit that doesn't cost a thousand bucks? I'm going to get a DELPHI HP10001 from rockauto for the sending unit/pump. I can see in the pics that it has screw on connectors. AN fitting with fit that I believe.

Thanks all, these are two questions I couldn't get solid info on through research. Any help would be appreciated.

mongocanfly 08-23-2016 07:41 PM

Re: *NOOB* about to do an LS swap

I used -6 on all my fuel line..supply and return...how much depends on where you mount the tank and how you route the lines...I bought a 25 ft bulk roll of stainless braid and fittings from summit and made my own lengths to what I needed ..just get you some rough measurements and go from there.. it wasn't all that expensive
On your headers exhaust question I doubt your pipes will work as is..I reused my pipes from my smallblock but had to have new inlets made to connect them
Someone else may chime in but be careful about getting headers..not all will fit even though the manufacturer says they will..

Willie Makeit 08-23-2016 08:10 PM

budget - triple your estimate
time to do swap - double your estimate
good luck

snakedoc 08-23-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Makeit (Post 7692171)
good luck

^^^^this. I wish I would've been told this at the beginning.

I think I'm gonna go to a reputable exhaust shop and let them make my exhaust. And I'm gonna do the bulk fuel line and get the fittings.

72MARIO 08-23-2016 10:11 PM

My swap took me 2 weeks of 12 hour +days and double my budget estimate :) It was worth every hour and dollar

mongocanfly 08-24-2016 12:15 AM

Hmm..time and money...I built my 6.0 LQ9 NV4500 truck about 3 yrs ago..I tried to do my homework on the swap before ever commiting to it..the guy i bought my engine from does LS swaps for a living and he slow walked me through the swap process before i started..but i did the work all myself...I didn't have any real surprises jump up and bite me..I only spent a couple hundred more on my swap than i had figured and didn't really keep up with my time..I took my time though cause I hate redoing things..but it still took less than 2 weeks just working part days before I heard it run..I did this swap before I found this site and all the info contained in it. The biggest hurdle was headers which I knew going in would be a issue..other than that I couldn't believe how smooth and simple it went..and like mario says.."worth every hour and dollar"..you sure won't regret it the first time you shove that right pedal to the floor.

BR3W CITY 08-24-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakedoc (Post 7692114)
LQ4 with a stage 2 cam

This isn't a thing. Stage 2 what? 2 of 3, 2 of 9? Could mean anything unless you have a cam card/spec.

1. Headers. My SBC currently has short tube headers. If I put short tube headers on the LS, will my current exhaust work? Its okay to tell me if that's a stupid question.

You can probably make the back half of the exhaust work (if its a decent size), but you'll still end up needing to make some sort of front pipe or transition pipe from the LS headers to the rest of the exhaust.

2. Fuel line. I'm going with the blazer tank and 97 chevy fuel pump route. The engine is a 2001, so there is a return line. Should I run -6 or -8 for the return. And does anybody have any idea how much line I'll need of each for a 72 shortbed? Is there a kit that doesn't cost a thousand bucks? I'm going to get a DELPHI HP10001 from rockauto for the sending unit/pump. I can see in the pics that it has screw on connectors. AN fitting with fit that I believe.

-6 is 3/8 and is fine for a return line. You can do down to a 5/16 if desired, thats what o.e. is. IMO I wouldn't spend that much for braided return line, I just made a small braided section on the motor end and the tank end, then bent and ran a 3/8" hardline. The return isn't under vast pressure or stress, so spending the $$ in that particular place doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks all, these are two questions I couldn't get solid info on through research. Any help would be appreciated.

tacos

snakedoc 08-24-2016 11:08 AM

Sorry, stage 2 is subjective to what you're doing I know. The cam upgrade is as follows.

We install a Stage 2 cam (224/234@.050 .612/638 Lift, 115 degree LSA), high lift dual spring valve springs and hardened pushrods.

NurseBen 08-24-2016 11:26 PM

On your fuel line question I used my donor vehicles fuel lines, just pass the transmission. Bought a roll of Sur&r nylon line, push on fittings with their clamps, a blazer tank and the stock 2011 donor fuel pump. Super cheap

michael bustamante 08-26-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Makeit (Post 7692171)
good luck

i second this.... thru experience!!!! lol