The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What's the Best Tire Dressing for Lasting Through Rain! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=403820)

tcb-1 05-21-2010 01:20 PM

What's the Best Tire Dressing for Lasting Through Rain!

it seems like it's raining daily here now (I feel for our Seattle friends), and I'm trying to find a tire dressing that actually stays on during and after wet roads. I'm going through Meguires low gloss tire protectanct by the case..... and that stuff is expensive!

I know there are some out there. the regular "stuff" either weras off, browns out after rain, or attracts dust.

any thoughts, gents??

Southcity 05-21-2010 01:54 PM

Re: What's the Best Tire Dressing for Lasting Through Rain!

I've had some success with the "More Shine" tire dressing made by "Stoner" (gotta love that name). It seems to last through a few rains & car washes but it too (like most I think) will eventually wear off and will have to be re-applied. It certainly lasts a very long time when applied and the tires are not exposed to any rain and attracts little to no dust at all. Hope this helps.

72BlckButy 05-23-2010 08:18 PM

Ruglyde???

Had good luck with it so far.... thanks to you Doug. (On my 15's)

big mike71 05-23-2010 10:44 PM

I hate the way tire shine turns brown, But when it does A to Z tire and wheel cleaner takes it off fast.

Mudder 05-25-2010 07:32 AM

I second the Stoner. I like my tires black and dry looking. I can't stand the wet looking stuff. I apply the Stoners before I wash. Washes the excess off and drys out really nice. Last a good long time and haven't had any trouble with the brown looking results.

GKsport67 05-25-2010 01:34 PM

I used Meguiars Hot Shine & good results with it. Bout a week ago i tried this NEW Simoniz tire protectant just because i wanted the applicator that came with the bottle. Turns out it work pretty good & last thru rain.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Picture155.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Picture157.jpg

Houston54 06-07-2010 09:58 AM

ArmourAll has a foaming tire cleaner that does a great job. Leaves the rubber clean and dry. Lasts for several weeks for me.

70cst 08-13-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 3995915)
I second the Stoner. I like my tires black and dry looking. I can't stand the wet looking stuff. I apply the Stoners before I wash. Washes the excess off and drys out really nice. Last a good long time and haven't had any trouble with the brown looking results.

Gee...Stoners is located about 3 miles from where my Brother-in-law lives in Quarryville Pa. :ito:

72BlckButy 08-29-2010 10:03 PM

Anyone else got some ideas on what to use?

JWall 08-30-2010 09:34 AM

Ive been using Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=16

jmedero 09-13-2010 11:57 PM

I own a detail company and use a TON of tire shine. Stoner trim shine for rubber is good. The stuff I use is called speedy brightner 2. It's made by a company called ardex, it last for ever. I'll pull up to a car that I did a month ago the tires will still be shinny. Also it's how you apply. I tell my guys to spray it on the tire while it's still wet from washing. It seems that I get. Better shine that way.
Just my two pesos....
Posted via Mobile Device

jmedero 09-14-2010 12:02 AM

http://www.ardexwax.com/Product_Page.html
This is there web site. I bet they can work something out for the forum as far as discounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

RUSHNBOBO 09-28-2010 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4163741)

Here's the skinny on "tire dressing" there are only 2 types of dressing; water based and solvent based. Both contain silicone .....but how do u get the silicone to mix with water? it's called "emulsification" ....most all department store and parts stores carry water based. Solvent based is a professional product which should be used only on exterior surfaces only; do to the odor and compatibility with some interior materials.

I use "Grape" dressing which can be found online at detail supply sites...many solvent dressings have had to change their formula to meet low VOC rules especially in Ca. But I've used others and they all preform about the same ...comes down to price and what odor u prefer...some really stink.

Bottom line solvent dressings are much easier to apply especially on tires they go on very thin and spread easily until the solvent evaporates and leaves the silicone. They also penetrate rubber instead of just sitting on the surface like Armor All which is water based. This allows you to reapply many times without having to strip clean the previous application. Each time u apply the solvent based product it penetrates and thins the previous application and allows easily spread the new coat. This can be done several times before a good tire cleaning.

Water based products do not thin the previous coat so they just keep building up if u apply several coats ....this just captures more and more dirt and is what causes the brown-- shine look.....your eventually just shining the dirt. The product left behind is essentially the same as the solvent dressing; silicone.
Durability is simply the environment and miles your tires are exposed to.

Ok upon doing some last minute browsing there is a non silicone dressing "body shop safe" used primarily for delivery purposes after collision repairs......

LivNLo94 01-02-2011 12:01 AM

it's crazy how many diff. products are out there.
i've always used the armour all ultra shine for tires and trim. i like my stuff a little shiny
it does not hold up to rain very well. but thats ok cuz i live in the desert

Sicklajoie 01-15-2011 04:26 PM

Another vote for Stoner, although I wipe the tires after I spray them to get rid of the shiny look.

BigMike608 01-30-2011 10:24 PM

I use Gloss-It Signature Tire Gloss! I've used it for the past 3 years on all my vehicles and I absolutely love it! It's very durable, leaves a great shine, and doesn't leave a greasy/oily feel to the tires. Most importantly it leaves absolutely no tire sling on the side of the vehicle!!!!!

http://www.gloss-it.net/Glossits22oz...dv-113-23.html

TCS7 01-31-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicklajoie (Post 4413315)
Another vote for Stoner, although I wipe the tires after I spray them to get rid of the shiny look.

THIS!

I do the exact same thing. (Their Invisible Glass is da** good too!)

AllenKarber 06-18-2011 11:01 PM

Stoners is awesome. I use the trigger spray version of their tire shine. I just bought Surf City Beyond Black,but I haven't used any of it yet. I want to try Zaino Z16 and Duragloss 253 eventually.

Megs Hot Shine gel is great stuff. I got at least 100 applications from a bottle of it!

ProStreet83C10 07-05-2011 07:31 PM

i use this stuff....

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46202

fastwillie 696969 07-05-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 4163741)

new tires

piecesparts 07-07-2011 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=GKsport67;3996416]I used Meguiars Hot Shine & good results with it. Bout a week ago i tried this NEW Simoniz tire protectant just because i wanted the applicator that came with the bottle. Turns out it work pretty good & last thru rain.

AGREE totally, with the Hot Shine. Then again---what do I know????

What you gonna put it on? surely not the cube?

AllenKarber 07-11-2011 12:18 AM

I finally tried Surf City Beyond Black,and boy I like it! I don't know about durability,but it sure looks awesome when first applied. I used it on my Formula,and I was kinda mixed on the looks at first. It didn't seem to keep the same appearance after a road trip that was fairly decent in length.

It looks awesome on the tires on my '64 C10,and my daily driver HHR though. Really awesome!

feller 08-21-2011 08:37 PM

i like meguires hotshine foam myself, but then again i am in love with meguires products they are a good quality for a decent coin if you ask me.

Napa Delivery 09-21-2011 03:02 PM

another vote for surf city beyond black.

ProStreet68SB 09-21-2011 10:09 PM

Hot Shine or 303 for me.