The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No race for front outter wheel bearings?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812855)

desert-rat 10-05-2020 04:44 AM

No race for front outter wheel bearings??

1971 GMC 3/4 disk
Just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. I know the inner wheel bearings have a race. The outter bearings doesn't, right??
I'm asking 'cause I'm shopping for new outter wheel bearings and I find them with and w/o the race. I don't remember anything besides the tapered outter wheel bearing falling out after removing the rotor.
Thanks.

Steeveedee 10-05-2020 05:11 AM

Re: No race for front outter wheel bearings??

There is a press-in race for the outers, same as the inners, but smaller, of course.

desert-rat 10-05-2020 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8818039)
There is a press-in race for the outers, same as the inners, but smaller, of course.

:hmm:
I don't remember anthing falling out expect the washer and wheel bearings when I removed the rotor. Was the bearing not suppose to just fall out??

A1971Blazer 10-05-2020 07:20 AM

They are two piece bearings...called cup and cone
the inner and outer race (cup) is pressed into the hub....the cone is loose and captured by the spindle nut
don't over tighten them when installing....
snug down till you feel a little turning resistance them back off about 2-3 slots in the castillated nut

67C10Step 10-05-2020 10:47 AM

You won't notice the race typically as it should be covered in a good layer of grease. If you wipe around with some rags you will see the race is pressed in just like the inner bearing race but with no seal other than the dust cap.

truckster 10-05-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert-rat (Post 8818040)
:hmm:
I don't remember anthing falling out expect the washer and wheel bearings when I removed the rotor. Was the bearing not suppose to just fall out??

The bearing will fall out, but the race is pressed in.

ghackett1 05-16-2023 05:40 PM

Inner and outers both have races. Always change races when replacing with new bearings.

MARKDTN 05-18-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghackett1 (Post 9204661)
Inner and outers both have races. Always change races when replacing with new bearings.

Agree. And every new rotor I have ever bought had races installed but I have never used them. I always use the race that came with the new bearing. I like to use those (or the old race) as install tools for the new ones. I take a cutoff wheel and cut it through. Then flip that over small edge to small edge and you have a nice tool to install the new race evenly. If it is driven/pressed into the bore some it is easy to remove since it is not solid. There are tools to install races and seals but if you don't have those, this method is free.