The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   New to sirius and have a specific question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=343823)

wwotr 05-14-2009 05:55 PM

New to sirius and have a specific question

My Father-In-Law gave me his "used" Sirius Sportster SP R2R for my 72 GMC Shortbed Fleetside.
I listened to Sirius XM in my Wifes 2005 GMC Sierra on a recent trip to Elko, NV last week.
I fell in love and was hooked.
I know that Sirius makes newer models of the sportster, but I was wondering if anyone was running the SP R2R in their 67-72 Chevy/GMC and how they liked it?
Is it true that reception is picked up (by Default) on 88.1 on the FM Dial of ANY Head Unit?
How/Where is the Magnetic Antena installed on YOUR Vehicle?
I'm trying to find out if I need a "Sirius Ready" Head Unit or can use any Head Unit as long as it gets 88.1 on the FM Dial?
I'd like to have it "Hard Wired" in as opposed to a Cigarette Lighter Plug in and have the Cradle hardware mounted under the Dash and have it so you can only see the Sirius unit below the dash. Then I'd have the Head Unit in the OEM Location in the dash, and Sound going to a Headliner unit that has speakers above the passenger/Driver as in the "Highliner" unit with built in speakers.
Roger

ChevLoRay 05-14-2009 07:00 PM

Re: New to sirius and have a specific question

There are receivers that are Satellite ready. My XM receiver plays through the cassette with an adapter. It plugs into the Audio out jack on the car adapter. If your radio doesn't have a cassette player, then that bit of info is moot.

I don't have one, but I hear that there are devices that attach to the vehicle mast antenna to enable the radio to receive the satellite broadcast. But you still have to have the correct antenna for your satellite system, whether XM or Sirius.

You should go to the website for the service you have, to learn more about what is available.

AceX 05-15-2009 04:38 AM

If he gave you the original box and manuals, there should be a listing of needed parts (if any) in any of three different ways to hook the unit up. My g/f has an XM unit and I had to buy an additional module to go in line with the antenna in order to get the best reception.

Again, check the box. It should have the answers...

wwotr 05-15-2009 10:31 AM

Came in a plain Brown Box.
Now "original" box or Manual.
It contained:
The Sirius Radio
The Docking Port
Remote Control
Antenna

Roger

wwotr 05-15-2009 07:24 PM

Got some help from Crutchfield on this unit.
I can purchase ANY type of Head Unit that has an FM Receiver and tune it to 88.1 abd receive Sirus XM.

Thanks to all who replied.
Roger