The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   fuel tank repair (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=406755)

AZ Chev Man 06-09-2010 02:45 AM

fuel tank repair

anyone ever had a fuel tank repaired instead of replaced. Mine is really in bad shape inside. having trouble locating a replacement. found some places online about repairing them, but don't know if it is a trustworthy solution.:waah:

harry 06-09-2010 04:56 AM

Re: fuel tank repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Chev Man (Post 4022092)
anyone ever had a fuel tank repaired instead of replaced. Mine is really in bad shape inside. having trouble locating a replacement. found some places online about repairing them, but don't know if it is a trustworthy solution.:waah:

i just put in a new one as it had pinholes all along the bottom and when i got it out i looked inside and it was thick with RUST all along the bottom of tank:metal::metal:sweet as now

cdowns 06-09-2010 06:51 AM

is your old tank leaking??
they arn't that hard to clean. i use a pressure washer to clean th cunk and residue from the 40years of crap. then look and see what it looks like if real bad then will treat with muratic acid{swimming pool chemical) tthen rince again with clear water let dry and if in doubt i coat with POR15 tank sealer. have never had any problems doing it this way and a pretty cheap fix

hayhauler71 06-09-2010 10:12 AM

http://www.gastankrenu.com/
I have used this place a few times with a great outcome

junkyardjohn 06-09-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Chev Man (Post 4022092)

IF IT'S A REGULAR OLD BEHIND THE SEAT TANK, I'LL BET THAT YOU CAN FIND ONE FROM A MEMBER THATS FAIRLY LOCAL FOR FREE OR NEXT TO FREE. I'VE TAKEN DOZENS TO THE CRUSHER OVER THE YEARS BECAUSE I COULDN'T GIVE THEM AWAY. WITH ALOT OF PEOPLE GOING WITH BEHIND THE AXEL TANKS, THERE SHOULD BE PLENTY OF GOOD USED ONES AROUND. ANOTHER GOOD SOURCE IS BONE YARDS. THE EPA MAKES MOST (IF NOT ALL) JUNKYARDS DRAIN & REMOVE THEM BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE YARDS TO PART OUT. ALOT OF BONEYARDS JUST PUNCH HOLES IN THE UNDERSIDE TANKS NOWADAYS TO DRAIN THEM, BUT THEY USUALLY DON'T PUNCTURE THE BEHIND THE SEAT TANKS. SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO THINK ABOUT INSTALLING A UNDERBED TANK. A SIMPLE & VERY WORTHWHILE UPGRADE. :chevy: JOHN

72mistressc10 06-09-2010 10:52 AM

As 'junkyardjohn' said. I have an extra behind the seat tank. I am a local Glendale resident too so let me know if you need that type.

AZ Chev Man 06-09-2010 11:31 AM

wow what a great bunch at this forum. thanks all of you. sorry didn't state before, my tank is the type behind the rear axel. 30" wide by 13" tall by 19" deep.
Thanks for the offer 72mistressc10. wish that would work.

AZ Chev Man 05-04-2011 03:40 AM

Haven't been on in a while... Update on the 68... Found a new replacement fuel tank at a pretty neat place called Brothers in Southern California... Replaced the tank and it solved the problem....Apparently the inside of the old tank had been refinished years ago and was peeling off and getting into the fuel causing so many problems. Humbled to say its up and running great...starts right up and runs like a champ...Thanks for all the help out there!!