The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Lets talk Aluminum Wheel polish again (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=243476)

Bill72BB 06-01-2007 09:44 AM

Lets talk Aluminum Wheel polish again

I know some here have raved about Mothers power ball , and I've seen the demo's at several shows .
I went and bought the kit both balls and the polish and tried it yesterday.
And wasnt impressed.had to redo the wheel with CalCustom Purple polish to get it to look decent .(JMO)
I may try the Power ball with the CalCustom Purple today .

Ole Blue 68 06-01-2007 10:45 AM

Re: Lets talk Aluminum Wheel polish again

I had some store credit with Autozone so I picked a power ball up on sale last year. It worked well in open areas but just didn't seem to get in the tight spots and corners and if I tried to push it, my cordless drill would hang up on the torque. Maybe a stronger drill would have helped it work better but I was disappointed.

As far as polish goes, I use Green Magic. I picked some up at a swap meet and it works pretty well. It's a local company but you can order their product online. http://www.greenmagicplus.com/index.htm

Musclerodz 06-01-2007 11:03 AM

one word.......

FLITZ

Mike

71chevylowrider 06-01-2007 11:18 AM

I'm sorry guys, it was me, it worked great for me & my wheels, (not alot of crannies to have to get into, & the shine was awsome) I guess it's like Blondes, their just not for everyone ;)

Bill72BB 06-01-2007 01:28 PM

:lol: No problem we are all big boys here .
Just wanted to see what others were doing .
I'm back to Calif. Custom Green and Purple polish .

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71chevylowrider (Post 2201874)
I'm sorry guys, it was me, it worked great for me & my wheels, (not alot of crannies to have to get into, & the shine was awsome) I guess it's like Blondes, their just not for everyone ;)

Orange 06-01-2007 01:42 PM

The detailing section has a few posts on this...

;)

DLB

Mudder 06-02-2007 09:10 AM

I have tried just about everything for my aluminum wheels and I will only use California Customs Purple. Truck was choosen best ride on Weld Wheels at the 4Wheel Off Road Jamboree in Indy with nearly 5000 trucks.

Bill72BB 06-02-2007 11:05 AM

Randy ; I was waiting for you to pop in here , Have you tried the Power ball with the Cal Custom yet? I still got the drivers side to do and was going to try it tomorrow .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 2203239)
I have tried just about everything for my aluminum wheels and I will only use California Customs Purple. Truck was choosen best ride on Weld Wheels at the 4Wheel Off Road Jamboree in Indy with nearly 5000 trucks.

Mudder 06-02-2007 11:30 AM

Yes I have. It seems to work alright. Uses more Purple than by doing it by hand. Had to buy an electric drill. I did get a good shine but feel it's just about as easy doing it by hand with all the hassels with the ball. You know that once you get them lookng nice with CC it is so easy to keep them looking good.

70c10 06-03-2007 12:51 PM

You guys got me hooked on purple about 2 years ago and I love the stuff!:metal:

Mudder 06-03-2007 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)

green724x4 06-07-2007 10:41 PM

i have went through 3 mother power balls but the spin apart real easy and I seem to tear them up on diamond plate real easy and running with my 9200 rpm 19volt. They seem to tear up and flake pieces of foam off. I have a Flitz and it is about the same, a little more durable but I cant seem to be able to get it tightened back up. I have tried the flitz metal polish and that is good for nothing. Mothers mag and aluminum polish is great but you cant use it sparingly. I have also tried this metal & satianless polish which is a steel wool like polish and it gives you a brushed aluminum look. The power ball is not bad if you dont let your wheels get to bad. But there all disposabale. How about sealing your wheels.

Mudder 06-08-2007 01:19 AM

How about trying some California Customs? It's not that expensive but you do have to get it online unless you can find some great guy that will sell you some of his stash.........:)

piecesparts 06-09-2007 12:20 AM

I use the Mother's aluminum polish first, then follow it up with the Mothers Billet pollish. I get that mirror finish every time. The important thing is to seal the metal pores AFTER you polish, so that dirt and soap doesn't get inot the metal. I use a product from Wizards called "POWERSEAL". There are other companies. It is a definite improvement to use the sealer.