The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project* (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=239896)

98L150 05-08-2007 01:48 PM

Re: Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project*

looks good. very nice

jeff

XXL 05-08-2007 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mild chop + trim...

XXL 05-08-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 2164620)
Mild chop + trim...

FF, after you get done with my Suburban Tahoe chop (note to self... need to get a Suburban first), you ought to get rid of the C-pillar and the fixed window. On the driver's side, just go large window from B-pillar to rear. On the passenger side, do a frameless glass on the door so it looks like it's one piece to the rear of the truck as well.

Zoomad75 05-08-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 2164636)
FF, after you get done with my Suburban Tahoe chop (note to self... need to get a Suburban first), you ought to get rid of the C-pillar and the fixed window. On the driver's side, just go large window from B-pillar to rear. On the passenger side, do a frameless glass on the door so it looks like it's one piece to the rear of the truck as well.

Heck if he does that he might as weld up the 3rd door, give the b-pillar a forward slant and call it a NOMAD.

That's another phantom idea as I love Nomads and can't afford one as the prices keep climbing....

70rs/ss 05-08-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2164256)
Firewall at work :confused: Hopefully you can see them from another comuter.

Maybe, I have not ever had problems seeing picts before? Is it the blue one XXL posted a pict of? I'd love to see it, can someone copy and paste it into a post? I might be able to see it then!? I am feeling way left out!?

Frizzle Fry 05-08-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70rs/ss (Post 2164720)
Maybe, I have not ever had problems seeing picts before? Is it the blue one XXL posted a pict of? I'd love to see it, can someone copy and paste it into a post? I might be able to see it then!? I am feeling way left out!?

Here you go. Link to the Photobucket account

Frizzle Fry 05-08-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 2164636)

Let's see it!;)

Frizzle Fry 05-08-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXL (Post 2164620)
Mild chop + trim...

Not diggin the chop. Makes it look like a Suburban again:lol: Love the trim and clean-up though :)

XXL 05-08-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomad75 (Post 2164705)
Heck if he does that he might as weld up the 3rd door, give the b-pillar a forward slant and call it a NOMAD.

I was grafting in the rear side glass shape on the back of the door when I realized I should do some real work today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2164807)
Let's see it!;)

Ditto... though I did complete a rough of this. I'll post it tomorrow.

CG 05-08-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 2164259)
:lol: I'd love to do another one. It'd probably take less time and turn out better!

Thanks guys

Ok great just PM me on how much its gonna cost me :) ...lets see...if I sell the 58 ford wagon project and my recently acquired 51 ford coupe project...and and and...:crazy:

Mark

Faster57 05-08-2007 07:27 PM

That has to be one of the best documented and coolest jobs ever. I get started on something and forget to take half of the pictures!!! I had a thought for the top if someone does another one. If you left the back section a 1/2" long and flanged the front I bet it would come together with just small cuts on the rear section at the drip rail. My hat is off to you!!! Dave

BigMike 05-08-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 2165003)
Ok great just PM me on how much its gonna cost me :) ...lets see...if I sell the 58 ford wagon project and my recently acquired 51 ford coupe project...and and and...:crazy:

Mark

Thats your first problem...Need to get rid of those FORDS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

69clark 05-08-2007 08:34 PM

Let me just say, "You are the Man", sweet project!

jseifert 05-08-2007 09:12 PM

:jdp: WWWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWW :jdp:

I knew that Iwould see some cool stuff when I joined this board, but I didn't think that it would be something THAT awesome!!!! That is absolutely incredible...

And I am not sure what your occupation is.... but I noticed that you said that you do this as a hobby.... You could be the next Boyd Coddington!!! Great body work, motivation, and will to complete..... My hat is off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frizzle Fry the Great ----- Master of the Tah-burban

abebummy26 05-08-2007 10:12 PM

An angle grinder?? I cant even draw a straight line period hats off to you bro only thing i would have done was find one with barn doors I always liked that look otherwise, its the most bad ass thing i have ever seen. ranks right up there with the 69 Daytona I saw. Talk about some amazing metal work every thing on those is steel & lead course all the lead workers are all dead. This is bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

earl87gta 05-09-2007 03:59 AM

I love it. I wonder if 1 peice glass could be made to get rid of those small rear widows or would it not work in the door.

gregfull 05-09-2007 07:33 AM

Awesome Work! You definetely follow the rule of the 5 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. You planned for a year, and your performance definetly shows. By your step by step procedure, I could see alot of people following suit and building their own Tahoe. Thanks and congrats!

Rokcrln 05-09-2007 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl87gta (Post 2165665)
I love it. I wonder if 1 peice glass could be made to get rid of those small rear widows or would it not work in the door.

No the small door section is their so the large section can go up and down with out hitting the structure.

So do you thing the welding up will take longer then the total chop job? I love doing this stuff but hate the slow weldind process.

And what the heck do you mean about the 4th door and knowing your limits! Although your method is almost what has been done in my head over the last year (minus the 4th door) you pulled it off before me and my hats off to ya!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Frizzle Fry 05-09-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 2165003)

Mark

Those will be cool projects. Just follow the procedure I just documented. It'll be much cheaper ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster57 (Post 2165038)
That has to be one of the best documented and coolest jobs ever. I get started on something and forget to take half of the pictures!!! I had a thought for the top if someone does another one. If you left the back section a 1/2" long and flanged the front I bet it would come together with just small cuts on the rear section at the drip rail. My hat is off to you!!! Dave

Well, the top is all lined up and tacked now. I'll post more pics today. I like the freedom you have to shape the panels when they are not touching each other, which influences their shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69clark (Post 2165116)
Let me just say, "You are the Man", sweet project!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abebummy26 (Post 2165284)
An angle grinder?? I cant even draw a straight line period hats off to you bro only thing i would have done was find one with barn doors I always liked that look otherwise, its the most bad ass thing i have ever seen. ranks right up there with the 69 Daytona I saw. Talk about some amazing metal work every thing on those is steel & lead course all the lead workers are all dead. This is bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. You know you can get "lead-free" body solder now. I'm going to use it an a bumper I modified and need chromed for the 61.

Quote:

I've seen it done actually. There is room on a Burb apparently, but not on this. My wheel wells took up any space for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregfull (Post 2165732)
Awesome Work! You definetely follow the rule of the 5 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. You planned for a year, and your performance definetly shows. By your step by step procedure, I could see alot of people following suit and building their own Tahoe. Thanks and congrats!

Thanks. I hope they do! I honestly think this is the first done this way. Unless someone has pics to prove otherwise:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2165735)
So do you thing the welding up will take longer then the total chop job? I love doing this stuff but hate the slow weldind process.

And what the heck do you mean about the 4th door and knowing your limits! Although your method is almost what has been done in my head over the last year (minus the 4th door) you pulled it off before me and my hats off to ya!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Ya, I love the build, but the finish work can be tedious :rolleyes: It'll take some time for sure.

I have no doubts I could pull off the 4th door. Just not in the timeline I had available to get this thing back on the road. Maybe a future upgrade;) :hm:

Frizzle Fry 05-09-2007 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here's one like that, but it has a stock wheelbase and a chopped @$$-end.

70rs/ss 05-09-2007 12:51 PM

Thanks for the link FizzleFry, now I can see why everyone was oh ing and ah ing, very nice. I had thoughts of doing this (No time and my skills are not up to you ability) so I have placed it into the when I retire file. I'll retire in about 18 years at 52yo so I'll hopefully have the gumption to tackle this type of chop.

earl87gta 05-09-2007 02:57 PM

The windows on my 95 Tahoe dont go all the way down becuse of the doors have the cut out for the tires if you can live with form over function I would go for it. every one would think you had some rare concept from GM they cant even get the windows all the way down on the new Tohoes.

jimmydean 05-09-2007 07:14 PM

That looks AWESOME!

RANDY COX 05-09-2007 09:53 PM

my God Man Are You Insane.excellent Craftsmenship.very Impressive.very Unique,very Talented.sweet Fancy Moses.[/b]

Frizzle Fry 05-09-2007 11:31 PM

Appreciatin the props guys. I love how it turned out.

I got the top all lined up and tacked the way I wanted it. Since the mis-match was high-front/low-back, I could have either brought the front down to match the back, brought the back up to match the front, or moved both to meet half way.

Well, after looking at it and looking at the pictures I decided the back needed to come up to give it the roof line I wanted.

So I made two relief cuts in the rear roof and added more high density foam under the rear most roof support. Those have this foam strip in the center of the ribs factory so I took the strip out of the one that got cut out along with the 20" of roof, and added it to this one.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1886Medium.jpg

Extra foam:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1888Medium.jpg

I also cut the upper trim and put in in place for a test fit (ya, a little ahead of myself, but I wanted so see it...).

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1884Medium.jpg

All lined up...
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1890Medium.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1891Medium.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1892Medium.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1893Medium.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1898Medium.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1902Medium.jpg