The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Wax On... Wax Off - How do you apply it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=361697)

72BlckButy 09-08-2009 02:58 PM

Wax On... Wax Off - How do you apply it?

While waxing my truck a week ago, I sat there thinking.... "I wonder how the rest of the board applies a coat of wax to their truck?"

So let's hear it!

72BlckButy 09-08-2009 03:09 PM

Re: Wax On... Wax Off - How do you apply it?

As for me, I used a little elbow grease and the cool weather granted to us by Mother Nature and waxed the '69 by hand. During the waxing process I actually used two different waxes (Meguiar's and Mother's) at the same time. I also used microfiber towels to apply and remove the wax.

I'm considering purchasing an orbital buffer to help with waxing the DD's but until that time, they will be done by hand as well.

jason65 09-08-2009 05:19 PM

I can't wait till my paint is old enuff to wax. I'm gonna put some wax on the oh so soft rag and rubb it all over its smooth sexy body. Speaking soft loveing words to it. Rubbing it till the bumpers are shineing and the white walls blind you in the sunshine. Just then and only then will the wife throw something at me and tell me to go mow the yard.:sexy:

I use Dupont with teftlon on the scoot. But I hear it's not good if you have to do a repair. Like it's tuff to strip for touch up paint.
I have a buffer but no idea how to use it. Come spring I'm sure I'll figure that out.

Tater 09-08-2009 11:04 PM

I haven't washed my truck in 3 years.The dirt hides the dents and scratches

Mudder 09-09-2009 10:34 AM

The stuff I use (California Customs MRon) goes on and off with the same towel at the same time you apply it. Not sure that I will ever use anything else.

piecesparts 09-09-2009 10:12 PM

I cheat----I purchased a Mequiar's orbital pollisher to put my paint sealant on with. That way I get more material worked over the paint in very little time. Example: I washed and sealed my MIL's car (full size buick) in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish

hotrod 80 09-10-2009 04:13 AM

Used to elbow grease it , but now have a porter cable 7424 . I can put it on with a no cut pad and take it off with micro fibers in no time .

Otsa580 09-11-2009 02:59 AM

I have a black truck and love making it shine..........dents, scratches and all!
Elbow grease is the only way I have ever waxed even though I own a buffer. Wal-Mart cheepo.

piecesparts 09-11-2009 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drive a white truck with a blue pearl coating and the black truck is the rod. The red truck is the son's. So I get a chance to work many different colors with my paint prep. The small buffer makes this work a short order and less Elbow grease involved.

BossHogg69 09-11-2009 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The last time I did my '05, I used meguiar's swirl mark remover and used my Craftsman buffer, then I applied a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class wax by hand and it came out pretty nice, of course I'm a little biased ;)

jason65 09-11-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piecesparts (Post 3510788)
I cheat----I purchased a Mequiar's orbital pollisher to put my paint sealant on with. That way I get more material worked over the paint in very little time. Example: I washed and sealed my MIL's car (full size buick) in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish

What is paint sealant? Do you have to use a buffer to put it on?

dan76 09-12-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3508338)
then will the wife throw something at me and tell me to go mow the yard.:sexy:

I have a buffer but no idea how to use it. Come spring I'm sure I'll figure that out.

Practice with the buffer on your wife's car......:lol:

jason65 09-13-2009 12:32 PM

:lol: :no: She might :fry: I'll try it on the parts *****.
But what is paint sealer? Just wax?