The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Garage door openers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=190305)

Matt67C10 02-22-2006 07:06 PM

Garage door openers

I'm looking for two garage door openers that will work for 8 foot doors. The doors are not very heavy. The contractor that built my garage said that a 1/2hp opener would probably work fine. What does everybody recommend? Home Depot sells 1/2hp Chamberlain openers in belt and chain drives, ranging in price from $129-$289. I know I do not want a direct-drive opener, my Dad near killed himself installing his, but the opener must work with 8 foot doors. Any input/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

LUV2XCLR8 02-22-2006 09:36 PM

Re: Garage door openers

I have a Lift Master, the thing is bad arse, but a lil noisy, I have heard
good and bad about everything out there, Sears offers one w/ a back-
up battery, for like power outages, and I have heard alot of people use
the ones w/ the Screwdrives, supposivly really quiet, did I help at all :hm:

phantom dually 02-22-2006 10:06 PM

I have a craftsmen chain drive and is is very quiet. My buddy has a screw drive and his is LOUD as hell.

piecesparts 02-22-2006 10:30 PM

The Lift Master and the Chamberlain brand door openers are from the same company. I have two of them, one is on a 12X10 foot door and the other is on a 9X7 foot door. Both work fine, and they are both chain drive units. I like that, due to the adjustability and ease of dealing with any repairs.

71SWBChevy 02-22-2006 10:33 PM

We have a liftmaster 3/4 horse on our shop door, it is 12 ft wide and 18 ft tall, never had a problem with the opener in the 14 years it has been in use and it is opened and closed at least 2 times a day and more on the weekends. But it is the professional series and it is LOUD AS HELL, you can't talk when it is running.

Matt67C10 02-22-2006 10:58 PM

Do I need a special one because my door is taller than average, or will any one work?

Bill72BB 02-23-2006 02:41 AM

I'm using a Belt drive on a 16' door , just did a adjustment after 5 years , and it is QUIET .

70c10 02-24-2006 09:38 AM

My door is 12' wide x 8' high and 1/2hp. It's a Genie screw drive with no probs.

Tynee 02-24-2006 02:53 PM

Something I always throw into the debate on door openers is to make sure and mount it at the center of the door instaed of one end or the other. It has become commonplace now to see them mounted at one end on new houses/garages around here. Its a bad idea because it torques the door. It literally ripped my parent's door apart at the seams

71SWBChevy 02-24-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee
Something I always throw into the debate on door openers is to make sure and mount it at the center of the door instaed of one end or the other. It has become commonplace now to see them mounted at one end on new houses/garages around here. Its a bad idea because it torques the door. It literally ripped my parent's door apart at the seams

Damn I have never seen one mounted on one side or the other, I would think that would prematurely wear everything on the door and the opener itself. Do you have any idea why they mount some of them like that? Seems like it wouldn't be any cheaper and it would just cause more problems.

Tynee 02-24-2006 03:14 PM

I guess its probably to avoid having to add the third rail in the center, but if I remember correctly, they still have an extra rail on whatever side they put it on. Maybe their plan was to allow you to fit taller vehicles. I just couldn't tell you.

71SWBChevy 02-24-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tynee
I guess its probably to avoid having to add the third rail in the center, but if I remember correctly, they still have an extra rail on whatever side they put it on. Maybe their plan was to allow you to fit taller vehicles. I just couldn't tell you.

Or maybe it was just a plot by the garage door manufactures so that you have to buy a new door every so often!

Matt67C10 02-24-2006 03:40 PM

That just sounds like av really stupid idea to mount it on one side, common sense would tell you that.
I appreciate all the advice, I'm going shopping this weekend!

68haywagon 02-24-2006 11:10 PM

I bought my grandpa a craftsman a few years ago....I don't know how big the door is but but it handles it well. It's one of the 1/2 hp models.

Mike