The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Dash Speaker help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=524354)

eightbanger 05-10-2012 12:54 PM

Retrosound Radio

5 Attachment(s)
Thought i'd share my Retrosound radio install with you guys, I had made my mind up a long time ago to steer clear of it's poorer cousin "Autosound" thanks to all the advice on here. Well i'm over the moon with it, install was a breeze, sound quality and functionality are great too, I got a remote and a real cool mountable SD/USB/Aux box which i'll fit neatly in the glove box.

I have one question though, can anyone here point me in the direction of a good modern replacement for my 10x4 dash speaker.

eightbanger 05-13-2012 05:39 AM

Dash Speaker help

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry mods, have already posted this in the correct area a few days back...but no traffic there, so I need to give it an airing here.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to a good replacement for my dash speaker? not looking for originality particularly, just good sound quality.

jamesi20 05-13-2012 07:18 AM

Re: Dash Speaker help

If you have the original radio,look here http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

special-K 05-13-2012 07:19 AM

I know Custom Auto Sound sells a two speaker set-up that fits in the stock location for their stereos.
http://www.casmfg.com/images/2005SPK.JPG

eightbanger 05-13-2012 07:23 AM

Thanks for the link James, I should have mentioned here as I did in my original post in "Truck Audio" that I had just fitted a new Retrosound Radio.
So would the 4x10 speaker in your link not work with a newer radio?

eightbanger 05-13-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 5377645)
I know Custom Auto Sound sells a two speaker set-up that fits in the stock location for their stereos.
http://www.casmfg.com/images/2005SPK.JPG

Cheers for the link Tim.

Ironhorse 05-13-2012 09:11 AM

Just to add my .02 cents worth, I used the turnswitch replacement speaker when I installed my original am/fm truck radio in my '71 4x4. Direct replacement and sounds great, looks original and price was quite decent. I think about $70 US shipped, don't remember for sure. I was pleased enough I will order a pair of their front speaker replacements for my '71 Chevelle SS when I get to that point.

Hubscrub 05-13-2012 09:24 AM

tell you what i did, i took the original speaker and cut the cone off of the magnet area that fits into the bracket. Then i took a small piece of sheet metal and welded a flat piece on the original speaker. Then i got two 3 1/2 in. speakers and sit them on there with just the magnets to hold them on the metal I've done two that way without problem. No pics sorry i about to (when i get some speakers) one for my wife's 67.:blah:

eightbanger 05-13-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubscrub (Post 5377740)
tell you what i did, i took the original speaker and cut the cone off of the magnet area that fits into the bracket. Then i took a small piece of sheet metal and welded a flat piece on the original speaker. Then i got two 3 1/2 in. speakers and sit them on there with just the magnets to hold them on the metal I've done two that way without problem. No pics sorry i about to (when i get some speakers) one for my wife's 67.:blah:

That's good inovation Hub, I may look into that.

Hubscrub 05-13-2012 10:31 PM

i ordered some speakers today so i will take pics this time and post.;)

70cst 05-14-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesi20 (Post 5377643)
If you have the original radio,look here http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

This is what I purchased and it worked great!

RETROSOUNDUSA 05-30-2012 02:23 PM

Re: Retrosound Radio

Thanks for the great Post Eightbanger! We do make a thin Dual Voice coil 4x10 speaker (R-410N) Santoprene surround, neodymium magnets! Here's the link to it on our site: http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/68
Email our tech support (support@retrosoundusa.com) for questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 5373098)
Thought i'd share my Retrosound radio install with you guys, I had made my mind up a long time ago to steer clear of it's poorer cousin "Autosound" thanks to all the advice on here. Well i'm over the moon with it, install was a breeze, sound quality and functionality are great too, I got a remote and a real cool mountable SD/USB/Aux box which i'll fit neatly in the glove box.

I have one question though, can anyone here point me in the direction of a good modern replacement for my 10x4 dash speaker.

Hubscrub 06-12-2012 10:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here some pics of what i did (as promised) in the second pic i trimmed som more off the original speaker later it was a tight fit with the tweeter sticking out of the main speaker.

claytonisbob 06-14-2012 04:44 PM

I don't understand what you did. How would you mount those two speakers? Whats the point of welding the original mag to a piece of steel?

eightbanger 06-14-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RETROSOUNDUSA (Post 5408076)
Thanks for the great Post Eightbanger! We do make a thin Dual Voice coil 4x10 speaker (R-410N) Santoprene surround, neodymium magnets! Here's the link to it on our site: http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/68
Email our tech support (support@retrosoundusa.com) for questions!

This is exactly the speaker I went for in the end, the original speaker bracket required some re-working to hold the new speaker in place...got there in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubscrub (Post 5431620)
here some pics of what i did (as promised) in the second pic i trimmed som more off the original speaker later it was a tight fit with the tweeter sticking out of the main speaker.

Thank you Hub for posting the pics, looks like a perfectly good solution to the problem.

eightbanger 06-14-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonisbob (Post 5434489)
I don't understand what you did. How would you mount those two speakers? Whats the point of welding the original mag to a piece of steel?

By using the original magnet he will be able to use the original speaker support bracket, making the mounting process a whole lot easier.:metal:

claytonisbob 06-14-2012 05:02 PM

Is the speaker that far down in the dash where you can fit the speakers in there that way? Pardon my ignorance, I am actually planning on running a couple 4" speakers in the center channel too, but I haven't looked under the dash to see.

eightbanger 06-14-2012 05:33 PM

Take a look at pic #2, and it will give you a rough idea of the space between the top of your radio and the underside of the dash....about 4" I think.

76stepsidechevy 06-14-2012 08:11 PM

My 76 is probably a little bit different but I traced the original speaker on a piece of heavy sheetmetal and cut it out and then cut holes for two 4" speakers in it. I actually had one of those retrosound dual voice coil 4x10s first but I was pretty disapointed in the sound quality so I ended up taking it back out.

If you just want a stock replacement 4x10 lots of GM cars used them well into the late 80s and early 90s in the rear decks. G body regal, monte, cutlass ect. burbs and blazers had them in the side panels in the back. Theres probably still some good ones in the junkayards.

Hubscrub 06-14-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 5434490)
This is exactly the speaker I went for in the end, the original speaker bracket required some re-working to hold the new speaker in place...got there in the end.

yea my idea required alittle work to fit (these speakers were thickest i used) but did fit fine

Thank you Hub for posting the pics, looks like a perfectly good solution to the problem.

thanks no problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 5434495)
By using the original magnet he will be able to use the original speaker support bracket, making the mounting process a whole lot easier.:metal:

correct, just bolt back in like the original was

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76stepsidechevy (Post 5434780)
My 76 is probably a little bit different but I traced the original speaker on a piece of heavy sheetmetal and cut it out and then cut holes for two 4" speakers in it.

i never thought of that good idea, i might could have fit the 3 1/2in ones in the original speaker metal just cut some holes hmmm.