The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

N2TRUX 02-20-2010 06:05 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

Dang Scot! You have been moving along at a decent pace. You never mentioned this last time we talked.

SCOTI 02-20-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 3813580)
Dang Scot! You have been moving along at a decent pace. You never mentioned this last time we talked.

There's more done but I'm showing only the pics of the chassis so far. Once I'm past that, I'll have other stuff too.

thepartsguy 02-23-2010 09:54 AM

Subscribed. :)

FRENCHBLUE72 02-24-2010 10:47 PM

Damn nice work scoti....

SCOTI 02-25-2010 12:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got a little time in tonight but nothing worth pics.

To recap, I've been considering two choices for my fuel-fill change since my original 'easy-fill' option wouldn't work. Last Friday, I picked up a nice, flat, rectangular, flip open gas door. Option #1 is flush mounting a stainless filler in the floor. Option #2 is the bed (floor) mounted gas door w/the filler just below the floor.

Option #1 is more than likely the route I'll take but I needed to visualize the size, placement, & complexity of each to make the final decision....

N2TRUX 02-25-2010 08:51 AM

It may be more work, but I like option #2...:)

SCOTI 02-25-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 3823917)
It may be more work, but I like option #2...:)

I think it's the cleaner choice but the material is very thin & would require substantial re-working. That extra work has me questioning its worth....

Alan's Classic 02-25-2010 10:16 PM

I prefer option 2 as well. It's all up to you as to which you like best. All we can do is give our .02. ;) If your leanin' towards option 1 then run with it. They are both nice options.:chevy:

SCOTI 02-26-2010 01:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3825434)
I prefer option 2 as well. It's all up to you as to which you like best. All we can do is give our .02. ;) If your leanin' towards option 1 then run with it. They are both nice options.:chevy:

I wish the material was thicker & wouldn't require remaking most of it. I like it as the better option if this was a full blown ride.... Since it's just a 'distraction', I'll take the 'EASY' button this time around.

A little bit of time on the floor yielded a rough idea of how the flush mount set-up will look. I used what was readily available to mimic the 45° slope on the floor runners but widen out near the C/L of the cap. The steel is cut & just taped in place for observation. I fogged it w/some satin blk to get a better idea of how it flows w/the bed runner that runs the length of the floor....

my67chevytruck 02-26-2010 08:49 AM

looking good, we did the '67 similar to that. I liked the option #2 as well, but didnt find a fuel door at the local JY quick enough, and just took the easy way out....

SCOTI 02-26-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 3826118)
looking good, we did the '67 similar to that. I liked the option #2 as well, but didnt find a fuel door at the local JY quick enough, and just took the easy way out....

I looked through the build but didn't notice bed floor pics.

aggie91 02-26-2010 10:41 AM

Boy, I missed something...I had to go back and skim through this whole thing to find out why your doing this for the filler neck. I found where you strugled with the piping from your original location in the corner. I thought that location was great. A buddy of mine did one in the corner on a '71 model that turned out nice, but I never looked at the piping or tank type.

I like how this centered location looks with the small filler. I think that getting anodized in a satin black if you use a spay in liner would make it almost disapear.

Not to bug you too much, but did you have a chance to get those measurements of the axle perches?

SCOTI 02-26-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 3826263)
Boy, I missed something...I had to go back and skim through this whole thing to find out why your doing this for the filler neck. I found where you strugled with the piping from your original location in the corner. I thought that location was great. A buddy of mine did one in the corner on a '71 model that turned out nice, but I never looked at the piping or tank type.

I like how this centered location looks with the small filler. I think that getting anodized in a satin black if you use a spay in liner would make it almost disapear.

Not to bug you too much, but did you have a chance to get those measurements of the axle perches?

I have the axle installed on the chassis (on my 'table') so gettin accurate dimensions has been a challenge while working solo. My buddy stopped by the shop Wed night after dropping his daughter off but only stayed a few minutes. I asked a guy from my work to lend a hand w/it after work tonight (he owes me a favor).

SCOTI 02-27-2010 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, it turned out ok. I'm not 100% pleased but I think it will suffice for this build. Keeping the corners aligned & symmetrical was much harder than anticipated. I also got the first fuel fill hole I cut out patched up while I was cutting, welding, & grinding....

VA72C10 02-27-2010 11:33 PM

It came out nice!!!

aggie91 03-01-2010 10:55 AM

Looks good on the fill hole. Are you going to do a spray in bed liner or paint? I think that the liner would hide whatever you do not like...I don't see anything wrong in the pics.

Thanks for the measurements on the rear end.

kizer 03-01-2010 01:50 PM

Wow I'm digging your attention to detail on things.

Subscribed of course. ;)

Jonboy 03-01-2010 05:23 PM

I hate I wasn't able to check this one out yesterday. Maybe next time.

SCOTI 03-01-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 3833439)
I hate I wasn't able to check this one out yesterday. Maybe next time.

I thought about that, but..... you came to my house; the truck is @ location #2; & the 'build' is going on @ location #3 :lol: .

lolife99 03-01-2010 07:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Scoti,...
I planned on just cutting a round hole and shoving my "homemade" adapter
up thru the bed floor (from the bottom side) and welding in place.
I made the step the same height as the bed floor rib.
Still haven't installed it,... but here's a few pics of the piece I made.

I don't have your welding skills, so I have to make do.

SCOTI 03-01-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3833650)
Scoti,...
I planned on just cutting a round hole and shoving my "homemade" adapter
up thru the bed floor (from the bottom side) and welding in place.
I made the step the same height as the bed floor rib.
Still haven't installed it,... but here's a few pics of the piece I made.

I don't have your welding skills, so I have to make do.

What is your adapter made of?

lolife99 03-01-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3833799)
What is your adapter made of?

It's just carbon steel.
I was going to have a buddy tack weld it in place from the bottom,...
and then finish weld it from the top.
I wanted something thicker than sheet metal, so I could tap the holes and use stainless machine screws instead of sheet metal screws.

Alan's Classic 03-02-2010 12:58 AM

Nice work. :metal:

SCOTI 03-02-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3833889)
It's just carbon steel.
I was going to have a buddy tack weld it in place from the bottom,...
and then finish weld it from the top.
I wanted something thicker than sheet metal, so I could tap the holes and use stainless machine screws instead of sheet metal screws.

Similar plan here. I'll use a steel backing plate w/SS machine screws to secure the filler in place.

I actually considered doing a little from each of my choices from the previous pics (weld in a flat piece of steel across multiple floor runners beveling the edges between to match the factory & simply mount the filler in the center).

I figured if my 1st attempt didn't work out, it's simply a matter of cutting it out @ welding in the flat piece.

my67chevytruck 03-02-2010 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SCOTI, we should have spent more time, as yours looks better, but the filler landed to the far right of one of the humps, and as i stated we took the EASY way out. Keith i like that adapter plate, well thought out.