The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Armor All in the engine bay? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=154339)

workingmans72 05-05-2005 09:57 AM

Armor All in the engine bay?

I have wiped down my hoses and radiator shroud as well as
all other plastic parts in the engine bay for some time now
and one of my buddies said this will weaken radiator hoses?

Has anyone been doing this for a few years and were there any problems?

'70_402 05-05-2005 10:04 AM

i have been for about oh, 7 years now. no problems yet.

Joe67 05-05-2005 10:56 AM

Old Armor All will, the current products should be just fine :cool:

I use it on my GMC

71HUGGER396 05-05-2005 11:59 AM

I think the old stuff had silicon in it, looks great but dries stuff out.

tnblazerk5 05-05-2005 12:07 PM

i hope you people never have to paint anything that has had that crap on it (Armor All) just try to paint sumthing that has had it on there(even if its been sanded) and you will see what i am talkin about ,even over spray of that stuff will cause all kinds of problems ! just me 2cents worth and not meant to bash anybody :cool:

shifty 05-05-2005 12:11 PM

I was always told it's the opposite of sex. For cars, you want to use an oil-based lubricant, not a water based lubricant. Armor All is a water-based product and water on plastics will promot fatigue and cracking.

Anyone is open to call BS on me, but ... this is what my regular detail guy always told me.

Joe67 05-05-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnblazerk5
i hope you people never have to paint anything that has had that crap on it (Armor All) just try to paint sumthing that has had it on there(even if its been sanded) and you will see what i am talkin about ,even over spray of that stuff will cause all kinds of problems ! just me 2cents worth and not meant to bash anybody :cool:

I spray it on the rag first, then the underhood components :cool:

68LSS1 05-05-2005 12:35 PM

This was brought up in some aircraft tire training that I recently had that was presented by Michelin. Basically if you use it you must keep using it. It does have the ability to break down plastics, rubber, etc but that doesn't happen until whatever you used it on starts drying out. Meaning if you use it on your dash and then don't put it on for a few months, the dash will start drying out quicker and will become more brittle or prone to cracking than if you hadn't used it. But if you keep applying it then it will be fine. This would apply to tires also. He did gave technical terms and reasons why but this was quite aways into the class and I wasn't all there. :rolleyes:

Joe67 05-05-2005 12:50 PM

I only use my left over Armor All in the engine bay and noplace else. I don't like how it attracts dust.

For my interior/exterior trim, I use nothing but 303 Aerospace Protectant :cool:

cdowns 05-05-2005 01:20 PM

not an amoror-all fan

68w/sbc406 05-05-2005 01:44 PM

i also heard that armor all made what ever you put it on dependant on it, so i never have used it

69 Short Fleet 05-05-2005 03:58 PM

I'd stay completely away from Armourall. Try a bottle of Meguiars # 40, I started using it @ 3 years ago and won't use anything else now, the stuff ROCKS! Doug

GMC AMI 05-05-2005 05:19 PM

Armour all is GREAT stuff to use RIGHT before selling a truck or car! Anything that cleans up plastic and rubber helps the looks. Thank GM for our trucks not having too much of that Petro crap! Just do not get any on a floor surface or you may take an unexpected ride to the hospital! :crazy: Thanks to all for the long term effects, my short term memory loss already forgot that trip! :lol:

4x4Poet 05-06-2005 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10step
For my interior/exterior trim, I use nothing but 303 Aerospace Protectant :cool:

x2

Once applied to tires, vinyl, rubber stuff, etc, it can be wiped off for a dry surface, at least compared to Armorall. And it has a UV protector. I know of some convertible and soft top makers as well as boat canopy makers that recommend 303. Seems to last longer than Armorall, too.

Mudder 05-06-2005 10:17 AM

Thought this would be a good thread for over here. I've seen guys use Amoral and I've seen em use tire stuff. I just wipe mine down with a rag. Don't really have much rubber anymore under there.

atcavage 05-06-2005 10:20 AM

What about ArmorAll tire foam? Is that the same as the dash crap?

Sillyoldman 05-06-2005 03:26 PM

" dont they put fiberglass shavings in there to cut into the finish?"

JameslovesJammie 05-08-2005 12:14 PM

I have to say a ditto on the Meguir's...doesn't leave the dash as greasy feeling as armor all.

CanadianFolk 05-08-2005 08:38 PM

armoural anywhere near a ongoing paint project will give you fisheyes...is best avoided anywhere on the vehicle before painting or youll have headaches with finish because of it...heard this years ago so may not be viable with new products

CG 05-15-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Files
Armour all is GREAT stuff to use RIGHT before selling a truck or car! Anything that cleans up plastic and rubber helps the looks. Thank GM for our trucks not having too much of that Petro crap! Just do not get any on a floor surface or you may take an unexpected ride to the hospital! :crazy: Thanks to all for the long term effects, my short term memory loss already forgot that trip! :lol:

i had a 1969 amx that i was trying to sell (ages ago now) and i was armoralling the interior and got some on the very dull blue body. when i was wiping it off i couldnt believe how nice it made my paint look. so i armoralled the entire body of the car and man it looked awsome. im sure the fella that bought the amx to restore is still cursing me. because like others have stated here you cant easily paint a car body thats been armoralled.

68w/sbc406 05-15-2005 11:04 PM

hahaha. how many bottles did you run down to the store and buy??

jermasaurus 06-25-2005 04:15 PM

If you have an O2 sensor and get armor all on it, you might as well take it out and toss it in the garbage. Once the sensor is covered, it cannot compare the oxygen of the outside air to the exhaust's oxygen content. Used car dealers are notorious for screwing up an O2 sensor from all the armorall or clearcoat they spray under the hoods. Also, when tires are sprayed with stuff like that, sometimes the spray can get the O2 sensor on some setups.
I learned that in my Electronic Diagnosis class a while back. The instructor even demonstrated it for proof.
-Jeremy

N2TRUX 06-25-2005 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermasaurus
If you have an O2 sensor and get armor all on it, you might as well take it out and toss it in the garbage......

How do you get it on an O2 sensor?

To answer the original question I have used it for years and never had a problem. When I go to a show, I use it under my hood on almost everything that isn't chrome.... :cool:

jermasaurus 06-26-2005 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX
How do you get it on an O2 sensor?

Carlessly spraying around the whole engine compartment, or some cars that have more open wheel wells when the tires get sprayed. That is, if you have an O2 sensor. I just wanted to share that it is possible and would be a waste of whatever $$ a new one would cost. ;)
-Jeremy

68LSS1 06-26-2005 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermasaurus
If you have an O2 sensor and get armor all on it, you might as well take it out and toss it in the garbage. Once the sensor is covered, it cannot compare the oxygen of the outside air to the exhaust's oxygen content. Used car dealers are notorious for screwing up an O2 sensor from all the armorall or clearcoat they spray under the hoods. Also, when tires are sprayed with stuff like that, sometimes the spray can get the O2 sensor on some setups.
I learned that in my Electronic Diagnosis class a while back. The instructor even demonstrated it for proof.
-Jeremy

Going to have to call BS on this one, sorry Jeremy. Voltage is created by the O2 sensor due to a chemical reaction. It's looking for 14.7:1 air/fuel mixture. If it's rich you USUALLY get a higher voltage and if it's lean you USUALLY get a lower voltage (talking around .7vdc difference). The cars computer then adjust according to this voltage from the O2 and other parameters.

Like I've said before I'm not fond of the stuff and I could see it possibly baking the insulation on the wires (maybe) but it won't affect the O2 sensor.