The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What would you do? Door speaker hole. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=850231)

desert-rat 01-28-2024 05:57 PM

What would you do? Door speaker hole.

1 Attachment(s)
Previous owner had this installed. I'd rather get kick panel speakers. I'm thinking about welding a panel here and sand the welds for a smooth look.

68bowtie 01-28-2024 06:33 PM

Re: What would you do? Door speaker hole.

I would weld a repair panel in there too.

howzzzit 01-28-2024 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert-rat (Post 9281051)
Previous owner had this installed. I'd rather get kick panel speakers. I'm thinking about welding a panel here and sand the welds for a smooth look.

Well my holes were a little better looking. They were round and I pop riveted a piece of sheet metal to cover them. I installed carpeted lower door panels and kick panels.

best view 01-28-2024 07:40 PM

I swear half of the trucks had this hack speaker install done fix it the right way

dmjlambert 01-28-2024 08:16 PM

I have that on my list of things to do, learn to weld and weld sheet metal in that hole. I have a list of about 20 or 30 items I would like to weld on my truck. Replacing the hacked radio hole in the dash and restoring to original AM radio is on my list too. Back in the day there wasn't any such thing as a good and cheap hidden amplifier and speakers to put under the seat like there is nowadays, and you couldn't just play your music from your phone or ipod. So, that resulted in millions of cut doors and dashes. I am staying tuned to this thread. I hope somebody gives a link and photos perhaps in their build thread showing how they patched it such that you can't tell it was ever cut.

sixty8HDC30 01-28-2024 08:39 PM

Replace the speakers with vintage NOS ones from eBay, at least that's what I did. This type of speaker install is nostalgic to me so when I got my 68 and it had door speakers with 1991 pioneers, I wasn't mad at it. One speaker was missing so I bought the exact same model to replace them both.

'68OrangeSunshine 01-28-2024 10:32 PM

In the Late Seventies I cut 5.5'' round speaker holes in my doors, but forward -- under the vent windows, and window cranks, so to speak. If they're too far back, sound gets lost under the seat.
You want quality speakers, too. Jensens is what I use.
The long oval speakers [6 x 9 ]cut away too much metal. IMO.
Also there needs to be an audio barrier around the back of the speaker, or you get a lot of unwanted sibilence and resonance from rattling the door parts.
I had them wired to a Sanyo AM/FM Cassette thru an EQ/PreAmp and a 40 watt amp.

oneshotkyle 01-28-2024 10:38 PM

I would weld them in to. I’m lucky enough for mine to be untouched but somehow they notched out my radio hole�� 1 more thing to fix up for me as I prefer stockish interior with suttle refinements. Kick panel speakers would be what I would lean towards

Extended Power 01-29-2024 12:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I made these panels for my 6.5” midrange speakers.
The holes in the doors are from 6 x 9 speakers though.
A fella I follow on FB is starting to make billet aluminum panels...they look amazing, and he is going to offer them with, and without speaker holes.
I’d like to clean up the doors, and make new pods that fit in the side vent area....maybe next winter...

special-K 01-29-2024 08:42 AM

I have rust free '67 doors for my '67 project that nobody jumped on because of the 6x9 holes. I plan to install 6x9 speakers because it's the best location to mount speakers.

Extended Power 01-29-2024 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9281219)
I have rust free '67 doors for my '67 project that nobody jumped on because of the 6x9 holes. I plan to install 6x9 speakers because it's the best location to mount speakers.

If I could have found a set of these Alpine 6399 speakers, I would keep the holes, as the amps I’m running are all old school Alpine, and so are the tweeters on the dash.

68 C10 Driver 01-29-2024 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to install kick-panel speakers, so I went this route...

Andy4639 01-29-2024 10:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I made full door panels for mine. No need to weld nothing if it's covered up. It helps a lot on the road noise also having the full panels with padding. The floor and back wall all have deading material on them and inside the doors as well. The rear quarters have speaker backings also. I have both amps in the bottom of the center console. I cut a hole in back side of it and have a computer fan mounted to keep them cool.:chevy:

68Gold/white 01-29-2024 12:19 PM

To those who want to learn about welding sheet metal...

There's a guy on You tube, Carter Auto Restyling. he works from his garage. In his videos he explains everything he does. a lot can be learned from him. I've watched a bunch of his stuff, its very good. it's worth the time!!!

I've done SOME sheet metal welding, It ain't easy, BUT I'm gaining knowledge, thankfully, my sheet metal welding skilld have gotten MUCH better!!!

Those speaker holes would be a great place to start!!!

MARKDTN 01-29-2024 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9281142)
In the Late Seventies I cut 5.5'' round speaker holes in my doors, but forward -- under the vent windows, and window cranks, so to speak. If they're too far back, sound gets lost under the seat.
You want quality speakers, too. Jensens is what I use.
The long oval speakers [6 x 9 ]cut away too much metal. IMO.
Also there needs to be an audio barrier around the back of the speaker, or you get a lot of unwanted sibilence and resonance from rattling the door parts.
I had them wired to a Sanyo AM/FM Cassette thru an EQ/PreAmp and a 40 watt amp.

Jensen Triaxials were the cats meow back in the day. I do see you can still get something branded that way, but I don't think it's the same as it was in the 80s/90s. Been a while since I had good 6x9s but the last 2 good sets I had were from Polk and Infinity.

ghackett1 01-29-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9281059)
I would weld a repair panel in there too.

What he said.