The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My newest and perhaps greatest truck score to date (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840220)

j_cst_10 12-02-2022 11:25 AM

My newest and perhaps greatest truck score to date

1 Attachment(s)
My saga with this truck started earier this year when I was out for breakfast with my family and spotted a truck parked outside. Even though it was pretty far away with an obstructed view, I immediately recognized what it was.

After a few days I worked up the courage to knock on the door. I talked with an older gentleman who was a die hard chevy truck guy. His collection was mostly square bodies at one time, but he also had this truck. It appeared that his better days were behind him, but he had fond memories of his vehicles. He even put a washer and dryer in his garage to wash the towels he used to keep his collection looking nice. I would guess it had been a better part of a decade or more since he was active in the hobby.

The truck I was interested in was parked outside with garbage in the bed, full of leaves and tree debris in every nook and cranny and looked like it had been there for a while. I asked if he would sell it. I thought I would get one over on him, but he was a sharp old guy and a brutal negotiator. I left defeated.

I went back a few times over the next 6 months to talk with him which I think he liked, but I could never budge him on the price. Eventually I got him down a few thousand off his asking, but it was more than I wanted to spend so I walked away.

After thinking about it literaly all year, I decided I was going to give him what he wanted. I couldn't reach him and to my surprise he passed away just a few months ago. He reminded me of my father so I was a little more upset then I expected to be.

This is where my story starts with the truck. I was able to purchase it from the family whom I have met throughout the year. I gave them what the owner had negotiated with me months back, at this point I wasn't letting someone else get it.

I have uncovered some of the truck's history through original paperwork and previous bill of sales, registration etc. Along with some detective work on the current state of the vehicle as it sits, and what has and has not been done to it over time.

I highly doubt this vehicle has made it to the internet so I am reluctant to post pictures of it, but figured I would share on this site only.

Can anyone guess what this truck is? With some detective work on this site you can somewhat figure it out.

I have a bunch more pictures I have to save and change file size. I promise more pictures and story to come.

cgster 12-02-2022 11:35 AM

Re: My newest and perhaps greatest truck score to date

I'll say a 72 Cheyenne Super short bed??

j_cst_10 12-02-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgster (Post 9150631)
I'll say a Cheyenne Super short bed??

Haha, yep. I’ll post some more pictures later today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grumpy old man 12-02-2022 11:42 AM

Long bed 71 2wd - :chevy:

vics stuff 12-02-2022 12:40 PM

Man ! What a story and you did the right thing. If it were me , I would have done the same. It is only the right thing to do.
Good save .
Vic

geezer#99 12-02-2022 02:17 PM

Ooops!
Wrong place, wrong thread, wrong forum!

Chevyland 12-02-2022 02:47 PM

Green Super shortbed
“I’ll take it”
:barn:

mr.mud1 12-02-2022 03:13 PM

great work and a great story.i'm glad it made the truck made it to you.sometimes the story is as valuable as the truck.take care.

j_cst_10 12-02-2022 03:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures. More to follow as well a some original documentation I stumbled across in glove box.

j_cst_10 12-02-2022 03:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It is in desperate need of a scrubbing but appears to be in pretty respectable shape. Interior is better than I could have hoped for.

j_cst_10 12-02-2022 03:51 PM

I dug through the glovebox and found the build sheet, protecto plate and warranty card, dealer paperwork and previous for sale information and a reciept for when the previous owner purchased it in 1995. I've got a bunch more info to share but I am out of time for the day.

Chevyland 12-02-2022 03:59 PM

WOW
Congratulations
For me, that is the funnest part of this hobby
“Finding them”
Which isn’t so easy anymore
Great score
Great story

ESC 12-02-2022 05:13 PM

That's a sweet find.. Congrats!

leftybass209 12-02-2022 06:01 PM

Awesome find, and a great story. Looked like some solid options were ordered with it as well.

72c20customcamper 12-02-2022 06:04 PM

Great find perseverance paid of nicely

67swb72klb 12-02-2022 08:19 PM

Score!

Louisvillekytruck 12-02-2022 08:42 PM

Great find

68bowtie 12-02-2022 08:47 PM

Well.

Done.

Congrats!

Tuff Gong 12-02-2022 09:08 PM

I like it

jocko 12-02-2022 09:47 PM

congrats! and a 557 custom two tone to boot! (I'm partial...) Great find :)

tim71 12-02-2022 11:14 PM

That is a nice score. Great color, great options, super nice truck!

Sheepdip 12-03-2022 12:05 AM

Wow that brings back memories, a guy I worked with most of my career bought a used SWB Super with the same color combo and about the same options around 75-76 from Chase Chevrolet in Stockton Ca.

Good Score!

CKfan 12-03-2022 01:13 AM

Excellent truck. Just goes to show patience pays off. Congrats

57taskforce 12-03-2022 01:52 AM

Awesome!!!! 557 is the best!!! You really don’t see them much. I’m a bit partial I guess as mine was originally a 557. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

j_cst_10 12-03-2022 09:48 AM

This truck also has the strange PA1 wheel covers. I’ve seen them on the highlander but not this style. I think they were basically the same as the Monte Carlo wheel covers? Long gone but interesting.