The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Truck covers. What do you use? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=359474)

wwotr 08-25-2009 10:57 AM

Truck covers. What do you use?

As Summer is winding down, I'mlooking to purchase a Truck Cover for my 72 GMC Fleetside Shortbed.
I was wondering what some of you use, where you bought it, the Cost and how it performs.
Unfortuntley with a 290SQ FT Garage, its just big enough for our 2 Motorcycles and nothing else.

My Truck will be outside all Winter. Temps lows are around 19 degrees, but average around 30 in the Winter. We do get Snow about 6 times a yerar but burns off in a day or 2.

With all that in mind, let me hear what you use.

Roger
"RATIKLE"

rwolf9653 08-25-2009 11:06 AM

Re: Truck covers. What do you use?

I bought a "wolf" brand car cover off of Amazon. The material was nice, it didn't mildew, and it was resonably priced (around $100). However when the winter winds came (30-60mph constantly) it got ripped to shreads. Overall it was a good product, but like everything else, the wind killed it.

capev86 08-25-2009 05:58 PM

better to put your money into a good all weather shelter. and a cover doesn't protect against the worst source of rust out....moisture coming up from the ground.....the cover will only trap that moisture, no matter how well it breathes. find a high dry place and put a small tarp down to block most of the moisture hitting the under body. even a structure to hold the cover away from the body would be a good idea. i will probably put my truck in storage for a couple months because i have a very humid driveway with the septic system right next to it. maybe i will pour a slab and put a GOOD car shelter over it, but i really need to build a garage.

wwotr 08-25-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capev86 (Post 3484230)
better to put your money into a good all weather shelter. and a cover doesn't protect against the worst source of rust out....moisture coming up from the ground.....the cover will only trap that moisture, no matter how well it breathes. find a high dry place and put a small tarp down to block most of the moisture hitting the under body. even a structure to hold the cover away from the body would be a good idea. i will probably put my truck in storage for a couple months because i have a very humid driveway with the septic system right next to it. maybe i will pour a slab and put a GOOD car shelter over it, but i really need to build a garage.

All very good points.
But because the Economy (and my Pocketbook SUCK), I'll be reserved to parking it in our Driveway that has 4" of Blue Shale and throwing a Tarp underneasth of it with a Car Cover on top.
Our driveway is like a 10% grade, so the water/snow runs away from under the Truck.

Roger
"RATIKLE"

unclewatts 08-25-2009 09:10 PM

For what it's worth, I also have a Wolf. I got it from Classic Parts. This is the 4 layer one though. It's real thick. I believe it was $189.00. I have only had it about three months though, so I can't tell about how long it will last.

68Lowrider 08-26-2009 12:43 AM

California Car cover seems to be the best around the black soft weave is about as good as it gets,,,,,

lilred67 08-26-2009 07:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i use a california car cover on my '67. even though it stays in my shop, i use it to keep dirt/dust off of it. they have different grades of materials form dust covers to extreme weather. mine cost around $300.00 shipped but is one of the best covers i have seen.