The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The eclipse (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851867)

Boog 04-08-2024 08:52 AM

The eclipse

Is a really big deal to some people. Or is it just a reason to take a road trip and party?
Our cities are preparing for many folks coming to central Arkansas for this 10 minute event. Gas prices are up, hotel rooms are booked, cities are blocking off some streets, tourism businesses are saying y'all come!
Over in Russellville today there is to be a mass wedding going on with expected to be a couple of hundred couples getting hitched.
Mercy sakes! I've seen a couple eclipses and while it is a rarity, it's no big deal to me.
I can only imagine what is going on in Tx today. Everything is bigger in Tx, right? ;)

Steeveedee 04-08-2024 09:08 AM

Re: The eclipse

A lot of foofaraw over a shadow, but I guess if a person hasn't yet witnessed one, it could be exciting. I was about 12 for my first total eclipse.

special-K 04-08-2024 09:34 AM

If you think about it, it really is a big deal like any other rare natural event. But many people sure have a way to blow things way out of proportion. I'll try to see it, supposed to be partly cloudy, we get a 90% eclipse, that's good enough for me. Imagine all these people traveling, spending all this money, planning weddings (Mass weddings? How special :rolleyes:), and causing chaos, when for all they knew it would be a rainy day in April (ya think?). It's a big long path across America, no more visible in Texas than in other places in it's path. What I want to know is where do you get these glasses they tell us to wear?

TKCR 04-08-2024 09:39 AM

They are making it a big deal here in Ohio. I’m really close to the “totality” of the eclipse, and people are flocking from everywhere. Never really understood why, lol.
But someone shared this on FB, so I started putting zip codes in for like Florida and Colorado because family lives there. Seems like most of the country is going to see it as long as it’s clear. It will be partial, but still.

http://univision.com/especiales/noti...pse-solar-2024

Boog 04-08-2024 09:56 AM

Our schools are closed today and city services are apparently closed today also as our trash pickup hasn't come by, so far. Sheesh!
Big money making opportunity for some.

Bonnie Tyler's "total eclipse of the heart" gets air play a plenty today!

Sunshine and 80* today.
I oughta go fishin..

CG 04-08-2024 10:46 AM

Cloudy out here right now and we are getting maybe a 20% version. So just another PNW cloudy day.

Steeveedee 04-08-2024 10:56 AM

Last partial eclipse we had here, there were crescent-shaped shadows. I wonder if we'll see that again? I asked my wife for the pic. We'll see if she can find it.

dmjlambert 04-08-2024 11:09 AM

Yes, it's a big deal! Get with the program! My niece is eclipse crazy so is organizing the party. It should be fun. Here is a neat eclipse tracker she sent me the link for: https://www.univision.com/especiales...solar-2024-en/

And she says you can go to sonic and get a blackout slush and it comes with free goggles. You won't like the drink (except maybe Fleetside Paul because the drink goes so well with the chili cheese coney) but you'll like the goggles. We ordered our goggles off of amazon.com for last year's ring of fire eclipse. Next eclipse is in many years. We're having the party rain or shine by golly.

DeadheadNM 04-08-2024 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9302470)
Our schools are closed today and city services are apparently closed today also as our trash pickup hasn't come by, so far. Sheesh!

Schools closed for the eclipse? When I was a kid we made pin hole cameras in class then used them to watch a complete eclipse - I remember this well.

A1971Blazer 04-08-2024 11:14 AM

I've never seen so many predictions, conspiracy theories, end of times prophesy, and every other nonsensical thing attached to this eclipse....
In 2017 the total eclipse passed right over us here in East TN
other than getting midnight dark and the crickets chirping, it was here and gone in a few minutes...pretty uneventful in my opinion....
it's rainy and cloudy here....won't be much to see this time...unless of course all the predictions come true.....:lol:

Boog 04-08-2024 11:33 AM

Well, if nothing else, it gets people's minds off some of the other ridiculous stuff going on in the world, for a while. ;)

57taskforce 04-08-2024 11:34 AM

My kids had an option for an excused absence for it today, because of the traditional Navajo beliefs about being idle and meditating during an eclipse. They believe eclipses are a time of rebirth or renewal for the earth and its inhabitants. My kids are 1/2 Navajo but not traditional so they were pissed when we made them go to school lol.

Gotenntitans 04-08-2024 11:36 AM

I was camping at Lake Greeson during Spring Break a couple of weeks ago. They told us that EVERY site was booked up for this eclipse. I guess people wanna get out on the lake and get a real clear view of it with no obstructions.

I teach high school math at a south Arkansas school. We are not turning school out, but our Science teachers did order a bunch of approved safety glasses and we've all been told to take our students out during 6th period (1:21-2:18) today to let them witness the eclipse.

I remember being in elementary school in the 5th or 6th grade and going outside and looking at an eclipse. That would have been in about 1980 or 1981.

Boog 04-08-2024 11:37 AM

Aw Daaaad. :lol:

Boog 04-08-2024 03:30 PM

Well, it came and it went. A whole 7 minutes. For a whole day the country is preoccupied by a 7 minute celestial show that only happens once in many moons. For 7 minutes many people looked up and not down at their phones. Amazing.

72c20customcamper 04-08-2024 03:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not great pictures but we were able to watch it to the full 90% then it got cloudy .

best view 04-08-2024 04:08 PM

It be more fun watching girls on a pole

Gotenntitans 04-08-2024 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 9302559)
It be more fun watching girls on a pole

What girls on what pole? I once went to a place like that in Hot Springs, Arkansas, where I would have to agree with you.....the eclipse was more exciting than those ole gals. Bless their hearts, they tried.

Overall though, I would have to disagree. Went off in the Platinum Plus in Memphis a few years back.....definitely much more exciting than the eclipse. The first girl I saw had on part of an Uncle Sam outfit. Never did get all that strawberry scented oily glitter off my clothes and out of my hair. :flagw:

67C10Step 04-08-2024 05:48 PM

I took the day off to avoid the predicted traffic that really didn’t happen but my wife, myself, a colleague from the Memphis area and his family took to all in from my driveway.
It was neat but short lived.

kwmech 04-08-2024 07:37 PM

It was a ho-hum here. Did take a couple of look sees through my welding helmet. Moon took about a 1/3 of the sun through the bottom of it. I could tell no difference in the light outside. Visually, never would have known if not for all the hoop-la

Boog 04-08-2024 07:45 PM

So much "prep" around town. No where near the influx of visitors they expected. Now the next one is to happen 20 years from now.

richard2717 04-08-2024 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
left

Getter-Done 04-08-2024 09:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2349176

Attachment 2349177

Boog 04-08-2024 10:39 PM

^^^:lol:

tim71 04-09-2024 12:35 AM

Here in central Indiana we got to experience the "full eclipse". Although short lived, it was interesting to witness. Full eclipse lasted about 4 1/2 minutes and it went about 90% dark. If you looked towards the horizon in any direction you could see light, which is why I think we didn't go 100% dark. Looking at the sun thru the cheepo glasses during the full eclipse was interesting. The moon was totally black with an orange/yellow glow around it.