The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 Cheyenne Super (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=680598)

LEEVON 02-26-2016 05:43 PM

Re: 72 Cheyenne Super

Caps and find a set of tires with the white stripe...Cooper Trendsetter SE will have it and are relatively inexpensive. Super nice truck, btw. I have a '71 that I have spent much time and effort to make original and cover past sins but no matter what it will never be the same as a survivor like yours. Please do keep it, there aren't many left that haven't been messed with.

2manycars2littletime 02-28-2016 11:53 PM

Great looking truck!

Have you figured out the engine issue yet?

If not, you might want to check for a stretched timing chain. That will make it start hard sometimes and could lead to all kinds of issues.

geunther 02-29-2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars2littletime (Post 7503247)
Great looking truck!
Have you figured out the engine issue yet?

Thanks! I think I was chasing a couple of bugs and was going around in circles. I ended up rebuilding my temp carb while my original was being worked and refinished by Cliff Ruggles (Looks great btw). I also rebuilt the distributor, added a new vacuum advance, condenser, shimmed etc. Its running pretty well now so it was one of the two or the combination. Waiting to borrow a dwell meter to get it dialed in but Im pretty happy with the way its running.

AKC 02-29-2016 03:15 AM

Really nice truck! I'd be inclined to keep it as original as possible were it mine.

And caps... definitely caps.

geunther 02-29-2016 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKC (Post 7503381)
Really nice truck! I'd be inclined to keep it as original as possible were it mine.

Thanks. Thats my plan.

Brakes have always been a little less than stellar so I've been working on those. Fronts look great but we were not able to get any fluid out of the back during bleeding. Wheel cylinders were a little wet but fluid was not as clean as I would like. So rebuilding wheel cylinders and flushing the lines. Shoes looked good but will replace while everything is apart.

SPID shows heavy duty springs but mine look like the heaviness wore off. Middle looks a little squished to me. i like the current stance though. You can see original Delco spiral shocks and the lovely F-78 15 spare with new tread.

Farm Shop 02-29-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 7500511)
its 50 / 50 at work whether to go with caps or no caps.

Wheels are easy to change and make the biggest statement of any mod. I know it doesn't match the trim level of the truck, but a set of dog dish hub caps on those stock 8" wheels would fit the tough look of the truck really well. Or, for a period correct aftermarket look, a set of 15x8.5 slotted mags would be perfect!

geunther 02-29-2016 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found the elusive axle stamp. RHA W0111. I believe for 72 (from what I found on this site) is 3.07. Any one know the whole identification?

geunther 03-13-2016 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You never know what happens with these trucks over the course of 40+ years. I thought I would check differential oil and it looks like the gears are original 3.07.

69short 03-13-2016 03:14 PM

Beautiful truck. I'd love to find a survivor like this

geunther 04-07-2016 01:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was wanting to dress up the engine area a bit and learned from the general forum area that my truck had an incorrect air cleaner lid. Probably added to allow for a bigger filter. I found an original and cleaned it up to get back to factory. New "Keep your truck GM" sticker on order.

Also, the SPID and grease pencil discussions in general forum got me to looking at mine. I have not seen this on any other SPID or grease pencil postings, but my SPID appears to have the same "182" from the firewall on glove box, under the SPID. The marking is visible under the clear laminate. Its on upside down. I just thought it was interesting and wondered why I have not seen any others with grease pencil under the SPID.

El Dorado Jim 04-07-2016 03:03 PM

Wow, what a find, it is a time capsule, I hope you keep it all original, like another member said, pertronix makes an electronic device that eliminates the points, it works great....

geunther 04-07-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7551931)
I hope you keep it all original, like another member said, pertronix makes an electronic device that eliminates the points, it works great....

I think it would be a shame to do anything other than keep it as original as possible. Which can be challenging at times. I am trying to replace the few things that would not have been original, such as the air cleaner lid and the master cylinder.

I have the correct pump to carb fuel line on order.

Some compromises are necessary for as much as I want to drive this. I have looked at the pertronix and plan on ordering one soon. I am just trying to decide between the igniter or igniter II. Obviously, she won't be a strong performer engine wise so the 1 would be adequate.

I appreciate all the nice comments. Thanks!

Dieselwrencher 04-07-2016 04:42 PM

Wow, this is a super nice truck! I'd almost clean it up and leave it a lone. I dig the look without caps but a poverty cap like the copo cars had would look killer the way your truck sets.

geunther 04-17-2016 08:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Worked on some more details with the air cleaner. Also corrected the fuel line pump to carb. Detailed the interior a bit. Not sure what to do with the worn glove box door and faded belt. Door panels are showing their age as well.

Also replaced the speaker with a correct replacement. Back to listening to AM Wahoo! Talk radio and sports is about all I get.

geunther 12-19-2016 12:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The truck was running great all summer, but then started acting up again. Traced the cause to another bad fuel filter. Turns out the tank had some sediment. I pulled the tank out and washed it out with hydrochloric and then phosphoric acid. I then coated it with Red Kote. While I had the tank out I noticed more grease pencil markings on the tank itself and the back of the cab.

While doing this I also dismantled and detailed the seatbelts and buckles.

Orange67 12-19-2016 12:12 PM

Totally dig your truck, man. Very nice.

lolife99 12-21-2016 03:56 PM

Love your truck!
If you are worried about the glove box door's appearance I would pull it off and save it for documentation purposes.
Then paint up a new door with a reproduction SPID and wood grain.
I would never alter the original glove box door.

geunther 12-21-2016 04:27 PM

Thanks lolife and orange.

I like the idea of another glove box door, keeping the original as is.

Advanced Design 12-21-2016 04:57 PM

Beautiful truck! Tagging along....

68Gold/white 12-21-2016 06:42 PM

BTW, Cliff can repair the stripped threads in your old carb.

geunther 12-21-2016 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 7801857)
BTW, Cliff can repair the stripped threads in your old carb.

I guess I didn't post. Cliff already hooked me up and repaired my threads. I also had the carb refinished and am certainly happy with his work. I highly recommend.

Ive since added a temporary inline filter so I can keep tabs on how clean the fuel is before getting to the carb. Ill run the temp filter for 500 miles or so to make sure my refurbish of the tank is successful. I know the routing is not ideal but I did not want to alter the original lines (which I cleaned out with hydrochloric and phosphoric acid as well)

geunther 12-21-2016 11:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulling the seatbelt apart without cracking the plastic buckle cover can be a challenge. So to pass on what I found from other sites which I have found to work great.

"To remove the buckles, turn them upside-down on a soft surface such as a rolled-up terry towel. Next, a couple of thin gasket or paint scrapers must be inserted into each side of the buckle. The photo below shows how two gasket (paint) scrapers are inserted into the sides of the buckle cover to release the mount tabs. By carefully sliding the scrapers in place, you'll release the side attachment clips for the cover."

"Then insert a large flat-blade screwdriver into the latch slot in the face of the buckle. With the pair of scrapers wedged along each side, slowly (with the screwdriver positioned steel-on-steel; don't allow it to touch the plastic) rotate the screwdriver in the latch slot (maintaining steel-on-steel, rolling the latch off). The plastic buckle cover will release, and the buttons will simply pop off."

geunther 06-15-2017 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I pulled off my door panel to give it a thorough cleaning. Behind the door panel was some more production line numbers.

68bowtie 06-15-2017 01:32 AM

am i crazy? i'm not seeing anything.

geunther 06-15-2017 12:54 PM

Hmm, pretty clear on my screen is a "2". A little harder to see is an "8" to the left of it. Relates to the sequence number of 182