The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1970 GMC “Project Splice” (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751569)

Kronald_70GMC 02-11-2024 07:24 PM

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

That would make sense. I also don't know much about them. Mine were completely seized and would only move with a hammer so I gave up on them :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 02-25-2024 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more sanding and filling done on the bottom lip of the dash. I was also able to nearly complete the repair in the passenger door pillar where I had filler flake out. Work on the truck has been slow as of late. I've had some side jobs and a plumbing disaster at home that has set me back a bit. Here's hoping for more consistent time on the truck. :lol:

Kronald_70GMC 03-24-2024 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more filler happening with the dash and some of the weld seams in the firewall and the kick panels. I'm filling the firewall ones so I can be sure that they are sealed from both sides. It's been terribly slow lately. I've been working on some laundry cabinets that I am building for my wife's cousin and they are taking much more of my time up than I initially expected. I finally got them all built and painted so I can assemble and deliver them and have my Sundays back for truck work. At least for a little while anyway ;):lol:

1972CheyenneSuper 03-24-2024 10:02 PM

Looking good, progress is progress. Life has a way of throwing 100 things you don't want to do that get in the way of the one thing you enjoy doing.

Kronald_70GMC 03-24-2024 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972CheyenneSuper (Post 9298465)
Looking good, progress is progress. Life has a way of throwing 100 things you don't want to do that get in the way of the one thing you enjoy doing.

Haha ain't that the truth!

Kronald_70GMC 04-13-2024 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it seems in true fashion of "Life gets in the way", it is time for my project to have a bit of a pause. Today I loaded the truck up onto the trailer and filled it with as many parts as I could fit into it. It will be going into storage as we have decided to put our house up for sale to build a new one. I still have the new cab at home so I will still hopefully get some work in before we sell the house. On the plus side, the new house will have a much larger work space for me to finish the truck in.:metal:

Getter-Done 04-14-2024 10:14 PM

This is Great News that you are Keeping on Keeping on. :metal:

I can Relate to this . :metal:;)

Kronald_70GMC 04-14-2024 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9304552)
This is Great News that you are Keeping on Keeping on. :metal:

I can Relate to this . :metal:;)

Thank you. I was actually working a little bit on the cab for the first time in about a month this afternoon. Still picking away at filler so I didn't bother posting about it since I feel it must be getting boring to look at. I plan to post something on here from time to time even if it's just some progress pictures of the house. We still have some time before that happens though. The build will only be starting next spring and we plan to have the current house till maybe August or something.

Scurry67 04-15-2024 12:02 AM

More space will definitely be nice! Keep chipping away!

Kronald_70GMC 04-15-2024 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurry67 (Post 9304583)
More space will definitely be nice! Keep chipping away!

It will be very nice. I will have a 14' x 36' Shop space that will be setup for a drive through into the backyard and if needed I can overflow into my parking space for another 12' x 24' :metal:

Kronald_70GMC 04-15-2024 11:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well that was the most productive night I've had in a long time on the truck, even though it was 2 steps forward, one step back.:waah: I found that I had missed an "oil can" on the firewall which was causing me issues with my filler so I decided to melt off the filler and primer I had already applied so I could heat shrink the affected area. I only wish I remembered to take a before picture. :dum: Oh well. Haha before I did the heat shrink, I had a 1/4" gap in the middle between the straight edge and the firewall. Much better now! :metal: I was also able to get some more sanding on the kick panels done which brings me very close to being done with marglass inside the cab. Good thing too because I'm about out of the stuff.:lol:

Kronald_70GMC 04-22-2024 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Little bit more filler completed tonight. I think I'm done with marglass inside the cab now.

raggedjim 04-23-2024 09:44 AM

You are hanging with it! I'm sick and tired of bondo and sanding and I'm just trying to get my bed floor straight!

The drive thru garage will be a big bonus, I try to do most of my sanding and grinding outside but it doesn't always work out that way. My shop is a mess...

Kronald_70GMC 04-23-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9307632)
You are hanging with it! I'm sick and tired of bondo and sanding and I'm just trying to get my bed floor straight!

The drive thru garage will be a big bonus, I try to do most of my sanding and grinding outside but it doesn't always work out that way. My shop is a mess...

Thank you! I agree, having the option to roll outside to sand would be awesome. I look forward to it. As for the sanding I'm doing now, I think the worst of it is having to lay across the cab floor and try to sand. These floors aren't particularly comfortable with all the bumps and such. :lol: