The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   hood tin canning (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822218)

pdxhall 05-28-2021 04:26 PM

hood tin canning

I've got a hood on my truck that has gone through some serious changes. The top and most of the 2 sides are original The front and rear inner braces have been changed and the front seam has bee welded in using half the original and the bottom half donor. I've got the hood on the truck and aligned. I have a couple of canning spots on each side of top on the panels just on the other side of the raised spear everything else is solid, minor dings, and is about ready to get some more epoxy sprayed. I've been doing some work on it trying to get them to go away but these small areas are stubborn. What can I do? Is a shrinking disk appropriate. I have never used one.

mongocanfly 05-29-2021 08:53 AM

Re: hood tin canning

a disc might work...i used one to fix some door panels that oil canned
any pics of what all you did?

MP&C 05-30-2021 08:03 PM

If all you have done is weld two (multiple?) pieces together, then the only thing that could have happened is that shrinking from welding has occurred. You don’t fix shrinking with a shrinking disc. You need to stretch (planish) the weld to restore the original crown and get rid of the shrinking that occurred when the welds cooled. Do you have pictures showing where you welded and where the oil can is??

pdxhall 06-01-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8926234)
a disc might work...i used one to fix some door panels that oil canned
any pics of what all you did?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP&C (Post 8926778)
If all you have done is weld two (multiple?) pieces together, then the only thing that could have happened is that shrinking from welding has occurred. You don’t fix shrinking with a shrinking disc. You need to stretch (planish) the weld to restore the original crown and get rid of the shrinking that occurred when the welds cooled. Do you have pictures showing where you welded and where the oil can is??

I have several pics of what I've done on the hood starting on #686 of my build thread.
The top of the hood was welded at the front seam and the spot welds at the rear where the rear brace attaches. All other work was done on the front and sides of the hood.

Pitpig 06-06-2021 06:29 PM

I never touched my hood and it tin cans like crazy. I think it’s just the nature of them. Make sure the seals are intact under the hood braces. I used a garage door seal

mongocanfly 06-07-2021 07:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
pdx, ill add your pics to here for reference

mongocanfly 06-07-2021 07:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more

mongocanfly 06-07-2021 07:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
more