The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need recommendations for filler and single stage paint (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822614)

ItWillBeSlow 06-08-2021 08:24 PM

Need recommendations for filler and single stage paint

I'm done with metal work and partly done with SPI Epoxy (cab only for now). I am about to start the filler phase and transition to high build and single stage paint on my truck.

Looking for recommendations for a quality single stage paint product/line to use. I realize this may be a "many correct answers" question. This is my first paint project, so bonus points for anything that may lay down easier or be newbie friendly compared to other products.. I will be doing this in a garage with a plastic and box fans booth. I have heard/read that urethane is not ideal without a forced air respirator... is this true?

I will be using OEM 510 Medium blue, so must be something I can pick up locally with this color. I went to PPGs website and was quickly overwhelmed by a million brand names and products. Something mid-level quality and above is what I am looking for.

Same question applies to filler. I see a million products out there. Overall my metal work looks nice and a skim coat is all Ill be using. I do have a dent on my rear body seam that needs to be built up a little thicker.

Thanks for any and all input!

ItWillBeSlow 06-08-2021 08:26 PM

Re: Need recommendations for filler and single stage paint

2 Attachment(s)
pics

mongocanfly 06-08-2021 08:57 PM

In the past I have used paint from the local parts store...with disastrous results each time I stupidly went back...even though they were beginner paint jobs, the problems I had were all paint related...their paint just sucked...on the IH I had decided to step up the quality of paint I was using, and had decided to try ppg..then a body shop guy recommended I talk to sherwin williams auto paint store ...I did , and I was sold,,,,never went to ppg..I have been well pleased with the products I have bought from them...
For fillers I used all evercoat products...also well pleased..
My painting pipe is a tyvek suit and 3m full face mask with replaceable cartridges...also well pleased..

72c20customcamper 06-09-2021 09:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The mid grade paints I have found to be thin . Meaning more coats to cover so in my opinion no real savings . I been using the Nason line on my 68 plays out nice with a good gun . The metallic needs to be thinned according to directions to get it the disperse evenly and I did an old trick of adding clear to the paint last coat was able to lay it out wetter and able to mist it to get the metallic correct since cutting and buffing isnt an option with SS metallic.

But your using solid as I did on the roof found its better to mix it without reducer . Covered better and gloss was better. I'm assuming you will be cutting and buffing so a little peel won't be an issue .

I paint in a large screened in popup with a positive flow mask I just had to buy a replacement mask.

mongocanfly 06-09-2021 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark, you did a great job painting that truck with a brush!!!!!!!

Thegoose74 06-09-2021 10:09 AM

I have used Tamco single stage on 2 trucks with good results. Hugger orange and jet black I called them multiple times with questions and they are always very helpful. I would use it again.

Jason

tinydb84 06-10-2021 12:56 PM

I have only been shooting epoxy for the last few years but when I get around to painting it will either be SPI or Kirker. They are priced very well for what you get.

Years ago in my body and paint class the instructor would only recommend PPG (also would only recommend 3M and Everclear) but I wouldnt have a problem using Sherwin either.

For filler I only use Evercoat now. It sands so much better than other filler brands. It is definitely more expensive but for the amount of work you are going to do sanding worth it a hundred times over.

72c20customcamper 06-10-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8930500)
Mark, you did a great job painting that truck with a brush!!!!!!!

Ha never noticed it . Must have been just before I por15 the frame

Warrens69GMC 06-10-2021 02:49 PM

subscribed

ItWillBeSlow 06-14-2021 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Nason, Tamco, SPI, Kirker - these can all be sourced locally with OE paint codes? I have only heard of (and used) SPI and didn't know I could buy an OE paint code through them.

I expected more Sherwin vs PPG vs DuPont vs BASF in a thread like this... any other comments?

Mongo - what sherwin product have you used with good results?

mongocanfly 06-14-2021 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used sw dimension single stage..and will on my next project as well if I dont go with ppg
I've tried Nason 3 diff times...the colors never looked like the sample chips...I think it's more of the sellers issues than Nason itself...but I wont use them anymore..
Heres the sw results..

1slo64 06-15-2021 06:01 PM

I've had good luck with PPGs Shopline paint, also a big fan of Sherwin Williams automotive paint. For filler I've been using the Rage Gold and Ultra from Evercoat and I like them.

ItWillBeSlow 06-15-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8932619)
I used sw dimension single stage..and will on my next project as well if I dont go with ppg
I've tried Nason 3 diff times...the colors never looked like the sample chips...I think it's more of the sellers issues than Nason itself...but I wont use them anymore..
Heres the sw results..

That looks great, thanks for the data point. If I can get mine anything close to that, I am more than happy.

May70 06-16-2021 08:40 AM

How did you end up stripping all the paint from the inside btw?

ItWillBeSlow 06-16-2021 02:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8933054)
How did you end up stripping all the paint from the inside btw?

I used a stripper disc on an angle grinder for the open flat areas, wire wheels for the curved areas, and 2”Roloc stripper pads on a die grinder where needed. Then I went over it a couple times by hand with 80 grit paper. The roof panel is rough working overhead, but it’s not terrible.

May70 06-16-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow (Post 8933124)
I used a stripper disc on an angle grinder for the open flat areas, wire wheels for the curved areas, and 2”Roloc stripper pads on a die grinder where needed. Then I went over it a couple times by hand with 80 grit paper. The roof panel is rough working overhead, but it’s not terrible.

How long did all that take you? Man sounds like a while

ItWillBeSlow 06-16-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May70 (Post 8933137)
How long did all that take you? Man sounds like a while

I would guess I had 20-30 labor hours in stripping and prepping the interior in general. Also a few gallons of sweat and at least 1 case of beer. Someone with more experience could probably have done it faster.

It was tedious for sure but I am happy with how the end result was for the epoxy.

72GreenMonster 07-04-2021 09:10 AM

In California with all the EPA stuff I have tried Valspar /Spralac Single Stage I have 10 year old fenders that are holding up well color wise. Redid Hood last year with the same
and currently working on bed with same stuff. Good pricing like $56 a quart. For LA
Filler and primer used UPOL products from UK. DTM primer 2K also good value but not sure if it will hold up as well as epoxy from 10 years ago.
Your Cab looks nice and clean. Great Work Enjoy the Journey to Finish! Always Exciting for me even though I'm never finished 12 years later
EdF