The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Where to buy lowering components (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821372)

warndogg 05-02-2021 07:09 PM

Where to buy lowering components

Well it's time to lower my 1970 short bed! I would like an honest opinion from those in the know. I've been doing a lot of research and thinking the Grand slam kit from CPP looks good (cost) plus all in one kit. Currently have power drum brakes and would like a 4/6 drop. I have read a lot of negative reviews about CPP's support. I'm thinking of ordering it through Summit if I have any problems I can go through Summit instead of CPP. Belltech and others do look to be top quality I just can't see spending several thousand dollars more. Anyone have good luck with CPP?

Clyde65 05-02-2021 09:20 PM

Re: Where to buy lowering components

99% of my suspension is CPP.
Their quality is good imo, customer service blows beyond understanding as you know.
Summit is a great place to buy, they are power buyers so they get good deals.

warndogg 05-02-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8916184)
99% of my suspension is CPP.
Their quality is good imo, customer service blows beyond understanding as you know.
Summit is a great place to buy, they are power buyers so they get good deals.

Thanks Clyde that makes me feel a lot better by buying.

KQQL IT 05-03-2021 01:54 AM

I just got some choppin block A arms and are built stout.
And being sort of local helped in my choice

67C10Step 05-04-2021 08:12 AM

I purchased all my CPP front drop pieces from Summit. Spindles, rotors, and calipers. It all went together with no issues so I didn't have to get any customer support from CPP. The only complaint I had was if you buy the powder coated calipers and don't want to chip the powder coat you will need to test fit and clearance the spindles just a bit. I chipped the heck out of both my calipers getting them installed but since it's not gonna be a show truck I didn't sweat it too much. Touch up the chips with some black paint.

warndogg 05-04-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8916791)
The only complaint I had was if you buy the powder coated calipers and don't want to chip the powder coat you will need to test fit and clearance the spindles just a bit. I chipped the heck out of both my calipers getting them installed but since it's not gonna be a show truck I didn't sweat it too much. Touch up the chips with some black paint.

That sucks for sure, did you have to change the spindles?

67C10Step 05-04-2021 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by warndogg (Post 8916797)
That sucks for sure, did you have to change the spindles?

I kept the 2-1/2" lowering spindles and just got the calipers to fit. I am thinking the powder coat was thicker than expected so the clearance to the "ears" on the spindles was too tight. In the end I was happy with all of it. WAY better than manual, drum brakes I had.

warndogg 05-04-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8916824)
I kept the 2-1/2" lowering spindles and just got the calipers to fit. I am thinking the powder coat was thicker than expected so the clearance to the "ears" on the spindles was too tight. In the end I was happy with all of it. WAY better than manual, drum brakes I had.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. It looks good! Any problems with wheel fitment?
Posted via Mobile Device

67C10Step 05-04-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warndogg (Post 8916864)
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. It looks good! Any problems with wheel fitment?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am running your standard 15x8 rally wheels and they fit fine with zero issues. I had read some stories about having to clearance a bit but I didn't find that to be required.

warndogg 05-04-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8916874)
I am running your standard 15x8 rally wheels and they fit fine with zero issues. I had read some stories about having to clearance a bit but I didn't find that to be required.

👍
Posted via Mobile Device