The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jimmy camper pics as promised. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824119)

too much stuff 07-24-2021 03:45 PM

Jimmy camper pics as promised.

5 Attachment(s)
Been a busy week but i finally got around to getting pics for those that asked from my other thread. The camper is a Ronco that was made in southern MN.
Story is that this is one of the first GMC jimmys sold in MN (1970) and the camper was put on shortly after. The original owner used it for hunting in colorado or wyoming i heard. He must have been a short guy to sleep in this thing.
Enjoy the pics

too much stuff 07-24-2021 03:47 PM

Re: Jimmy camper pics as promised.

5 Attachment(s)
More...

too much stuff 07-24-2021 03:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And more. I am surprised the door panel doesn't have any insignia at the top? Both shifters are chrome also.

too much stuff 07-24-2021 03:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More camper...

too much stuff 07-24-2021 03:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Last. Wheels and tires are probably older than some reading this...Don't worry, i haven't gone far or fast on these tires. Couldn't go fast anyhow the way they ride!
And of course, the last pic is what happens after you try to enjoy it.

72gmguy 07-24-2021 04:02 PM

Very cool truck and camper! Love the slots too. I have a 70 blazer with a 4 wheel camper but mine has turbines.

morepwr 07-24-2021 05:55 PM

Cool rig!

'68OrangeSunshine 07-24-2021 06:12 PM

Is the bench seat bolted down in the sideways attitude?

too much stuff 07-24-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8949211)
Is the bench seat bolted down in the sideways attitude?

No, it is just sitting there. Supposedly pulled out when fairly new and i needed a place to put it.

Getter-Done 07-24-2021 06:43 PM

Nice rig:metal:

The stickers on the Glovebox are funny:lol:

That sleeper above the cab gives a Whole new meaning to:
Curling up for a nap:lol:

72 Super 07-24-2021 08:36 PM

Eric, how did you come across this Jimmy? A very cool piece for sure.

Question on your slots. It appears that the lug holes have a ridge around them, meaning the lugs sit in a little. I have a set like this also. I was wondering what type of lug do they take?

Thanks,
Ray

'68OrangeSunshine 07-24-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 8949242)
No, it is just sitting there. Supposedly pulled out when fairly new and i needed a place to put it.

OK. Makes sense now. It would get in the way if you were camping. Is there a stove and a sink?

lil hoodlum 07-24-2021 11:12 PM

Thank you for posting the pictures of the inside. Very interesting, I had been checking your other thread for updates. I too wonder how some people are able to sleep in these overhead campers as I can't stretch out comfortably on my bench seat in my 68 C10.

Looks like a cool set up regardless. Does the camper "top" replace the factory "Jimmy" top?

Dirt's72 07-25-2021 09:27 AM

Is this a for sale thread? lol Is that original paint sure is shiny? That is my favorite color for these trucks. You have some thick woods around your place. Thanks for sharing the pics really cool.

too much stuff 07-25-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8949247)
Nice rig:metal:

The stickers on the Glovebox are funny:lol:

That sleeper above the cab gives a Whole new meaning to:
Curling up for a nap:lol:

Curling up indeed, i am 6'5"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 8949300)

Question on your slots. It appears that the lug holes have a ridge around them, meaning the lugs sit in a little. I have a set like this also. I was wondering what type of lug do they take?

Thanks,
Ray

I bought a pair of NOS doors off craigslist about 3 hours away and got to talking with the owner. I also bought an NOS gmc gate from him. He asked if i had ever seen one before and i assumed it was a slide in type. I went to his place about 20 miles away and that was when i posted the first pics a few years back. It was not for sale at that time. Fast forward about 1/2 year, out of the blue, the guy needed money for something else he was doing and it was mine. I have put less than 10 miles on it since i have had it and the po but about 20 on it in the 20 years he had it.
I will try to look at the slot lug nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8949346)
OK. Makes sense now. It would get in the way if you were camping. Is there a stove and a sink?

There is a stove and sink laying in there, but not sure if they are correct for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil hoodlum (Post 8949347)
Thank you for posting the pictures of the inside. Very interesting, I had been checking your other thread for updates. I too wonder how some people are able to sleep in these overhead campers as I can't stretch out comfortably on my bench seat in my 68 C10.

Looks like a cool set up regardless. Does the camper "top" replace the factory "Jimmy" top?

Yes, it replaces the jimmy top. It is bolted in place and uses a couple of the original mounting spots up front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt's72 (Post 8949467)
Is this a for sale thread? lol Is that original paint sure is shiny? That is my favorite color for these trucks. You have some thick woods around your place. Thanks for sharing the pics really cool.

Appears to have had a re-paint at some point. It will need some paint and floor rust repaired at some point now.

DeadheadNM 07-25-2021 03:32 PM

It’s a great time capsule. Thanks for posting.

too much stuff 08-29-2021 10:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 8949300)

Thanks,
Ray

Sorry this took so long. Hope the first pic helps you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8949615)
It’s a great time capsule. Thanks for posting.

Glad to share. Wish the old school slots weren't 16.5s, but they are really cool.

too much stuff 08-29-2021 10:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got brakes again! Looks like it had a recent brake job done on it... 25+ years ago. Drums look good, lots of pad left, but this just proves what happens when things sit. (Refer to earlier pic)
New hoses, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Working decent now.

Time to upgrade wheels and tires i guess also. Had a set of 8.25x15 slots here and found a nice used set of 31x10.5x15 BFGs. Slowly becoming more roadworthy again...

67RS/SSx2 08-29-2021 10:28 PM

Wow, what a cool rig! I've never seen one like that. Thanks for sharing.

C101972 08-29-2021 11:10 PM

Very cool truck!! I love the slots also. Great buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 tigger 08-30-2021 05:58 AM

Thanks for sharing your pics! Love this rig

j_cst_10 08-30-2021 08:58 AM

That is my dream jimmy. I have always been drawn to the camper in them, not sure why but it is super cool.

va72longhorn 08-30-2021 09:24 AM

And here all this time, I thought the mid to late 70’s Chalet was the first of these. You learn something everyday!

jjzepplin 08-30-2021 12:09 PM

Them new slots are even nicer! Fancy!

72 Super 08-30-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 8964307)
Sorry this took so long. Hope the first pic helps you.

Glad to share. Wish the old school slots weren't 16.5s, but they are really cool.

Eric, I appreciate the pics.

Thanks,
Ray