The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Frame question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=616635)

fast&low 02-14-2014 09:39 PM

Frame question

Hi guy's
I just bought a 69 C10 SWB fleetside pretty much stock other than having front & rear roll pans & it's not ugly but it's not me I guess I'm just old school & love the bumper look on these trucks so I looked under it to see what I need to do to remove the roll pans & WoW the PO or the guy he paid to install them cut the front frame rail tips to install them :/
Well now I'm in search of a frame so that I can be able to bolt the front bumpers back on.
So I was wondering if the frames on these trucks are the same from 67-71?
Just good to know because SWB frames are hard to fined & probably even more so by looking for only 69 SWB frames.
Thank you for your time

dwcsr 02-14-2014 10:04 PM

Re: Frame question

I won't re-frame it for that, i'd get any frame from 67 -72 and cut off the pieces I need to repair the original

flashed 02-14-2014 10:07 PM

I would do as mentioned above ,buy the ends and graft them back on .

fast&low 02-14-2014 10:49 PM

Yeah I thought about that but who would sell me just the ends or where can I buy them?
If you had a frame & I went over there & cut the ends well your stuck with scrap metal?
I don't plan on ever selling the truck so building a ground up resto on a (Titled!!)frame won't hurt me
You see I'm going to redo the complete suspension with disc on all 4 corners so I would paint it & put it side by side & build from one side to the other.

flashed 02-14-2014 11:22 PM

Check out the parts forum here ,someone is always parting out old trucks and they may have a frame that has damage somewhere and be willing to cut you out what you need .

fast&low 02-14-2014 11:42 PM

Thank you I'll try that :metal:

And guy's remember if you see those front roll pans in your catalog ask yourself do you really want to chop up your frame?

BossHogg69 02-15-2014 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Too bad you didn't post this thread before I hauled off my scrap metal :lol:

fast&low 02-15-2014 09:17 AM

Yeah that's how my truck looks like & like I said it's not ugly but I would never chop up my frame & I hope you don't run into something that roll pan is like having a beer can for a bumper

BossHogg69 02-15-2014 11:22 AM

Why don't you just weld some plate back onto the framerail stubs and drill the holes for the bumper mounts? There are plenty of diagrams available here on the forum that give the exact dimensions of where the bumper mounts up. If you think taking 2" off the front framerails is 'chopping up' a frame, you'd really hate what I did to the rest of my truck! :lol:

fast&low 02-15-2014 12:48 PM

Sorry I didn't explain myself but who ever did the roll pan on my truck chopped it off with a blowtorch & it looks like a 5 year old did it
If I do cuts I do it right & I would have saved the ends so that they can be but back on if need be.
Cutting for suspension upgrades doesn't bother me because it's that an upgrade

kaycee 02-15-2014 02:15 PM

What boss hog said it's not rocket science:uhmk:

fast&low 02-15-2014 02:40 PM

Lol :)

BossHogg69 02-15-2014 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a layout just in case you get a wild hair. Even if you locate a set of framerail tips to graft on, you will probably still need this so you can get them back to stock spec if you plan on using OE style brackets and a replacement bumper.

fast&low 02-15-2014 03:51 PM

Thank you Adam I appreciate you taking the time to do that

SCOTI 02-15-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 6527076)
Sorry I didn't explain myself but who ever did the roll pan on my truck chopped it off with a blowtorch & it looks like a 5 year old did itIf I do cuts I do it right & I would have saved the ends so that they can be but back on if need be.
Cutting for suspension upgrades doesn't bother me because it's that an upgrade

I agree w/the others.... If the previous job was hacked, simply cut just past what's currently there or grind it nice & straight. Viola'.... it's nice & clean. Hit wrecking yards or look on craigslist for someone parting a frame for the ends or make your own adapter brackets.

Much easier than swapping frames.

michael bustamante 02-20-2014 12:35 AM

Ill betcha theres at least 5 guys on the for sale forum willing to sawz-all a frame for you. Just tell them how far back you need them to cut.

fast&low 02-20-2014 12:59 AM

I almost bought a frame in your hometown but U-Haul fees (1,200) kept me from doing that.
Thanx but I may have found one already I'll find out tomorrow?

michael bustamante 02-20-2014 04:49 PM

Yeah u hauls gotten rediculous. Theres good frames here. I know alot of members here kike buying parts from nm az and southern ca.

fast&low 02-23-2014 06:24 PM

Found a frame already guys thanks for all your help