The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sticky accelerator cable. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826114)

65chevysub 09-22-2021 10:03 PM

Sticky accelerator cable.

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced my accelerator cable today, and it takes some heavy pressure to make it work. I put some oil down the housing before installing it, but is there something else to make it work smoother? I thought maybe the connection at the carb was too tight, but theres free play there.

Pontiac1976 09-22-2021 11:02 PM

Re: Sticky accelerator cable.

spring may help how tight it is. The spring can go on the top forward if you do not have the right tension, or can go on the rear to the bottom like factory. The tighter the spring harder the tension is the harder the peddle will feel. So it how much peddle feel you like. But very soft will be harder to keep RPM's and foot smooth.
It's hard to see your setup in the pic on the Carter carb with a E.B. stamping. I all ways liked factory carbs or Holley or Holley style carbs.

blazer2007 09-23-2021 09:07 AM

Mine did the same, I replaced it and was fine . Not too expensive. Maybe a small fray in the cable

Rickysnickers 09-23-2021 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Straightened your photo

geezer#99 09-23-2021 09:55 AM

Likely help a bunch by moving the attachment point of the cable on the carb up higher on the bracket.
Present location is too close to the throttle shaft centreline.

65chevysub 09-23-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8974986)
Mine did the same, I replaced it and was fine . Not too expensive. Maybe a small fray in the cable

It's a brand new cable. Just put it on yesterday. I checked the movement before I put it on, and theres no binding. It does have the arc after it clips into the bracket then goes into the firewall

65chevysub 09-23-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 8975000)
Straightened your photo

Thanks. Dont know why it turns my images sideways. It's right side up on my phone

65chevysub 09-23-2021 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 8975001)
Likely help a bunch by moving the attachment point of the cable on the carb up higher on the bracket.
Present location is too close to the throttle shaft centreline.

Where can I move it to? I'm not seeing anywhere else to put the cable. Can you highlight where I can put it?
Thanks
Sorry about the pic. Must be my phone turning them sideways

Dead Parrot 09-23-2021 06:06 PM

From the pic, it looks like the flare at the rear of the plastic tube might be binding on the metal bracket for the trans shift cable. If your trans doesn't need that shift cable, might bend that part of the bracket a bit to give the throttle cable more clearance.

My Eddy 1405 has the throttle cable in the same hole as yours but due to a 1" spacer, the trans shift cable is on a separate bracket so I don't have any bracket/throttle cable interference. The return springs run from the higher hole on the carb to a homemade attachment point forward of the carb.

Edit: looks like your return springs are just like mine based on your last pic.

65chevysub 09-23-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 8975229)
From the pic, it looks like the flare at the rear of the plastic tube might be binding on the metal bracket for the trans shift cable. If your trans doesn't need that shift cable, might bend that part of the bracket a bit to give the throttle cable more clearance.

My Eddy 1405 has the throttle cable in the same hole as yours but due to a 1" spacer, the trans shift cable is on a separate bracket so I don't have any bracket/throttle cable interference. The return springs run from the higher hole on the carb to a homemade attachment point forward of the carb.

Edit: looks like your return springs are just like mine based on your last pic.

Thanks. I will look at that when the engine cools off. I just stretched the spring a little bit, and it's working better and not binding like it was

geezer#99 09-23-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65chevysub (Post 8975228)
Where can I move it to? I'm not seeing anywhere else to put the cable. Can you highlight where I can put it?
Thanks
Sorry about the pic. Must be my phone turning them sideways

Look for or make a simple bracket like this that lets you use that big hole.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1493/10002/-1

Rickysnickers 09-23-2021 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Again :)

65chevysub 09-23-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 8975281)
Again :)

Thanks....again. will use the desktop next time

Rickysnickers 09-23-2021 08:13 PM

No problem. When you have a chance, take a look at this thread for posting your photos. Hope you get your issue fixed.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=818026

Pontiac1976 09-23-2021 11:07 PM

Ok now that I can see your spring, how much tension on the spring you can buy help red spring pack for carbs play with some to get the right peddle feel. You stretch the tight strong springs bend them like the factory till it to your liking.
I guessing the factory one may be a little tight pulling to much on your gas peddle for you foot making it hard to press. So lighter tension spring spread the spring apart a little lighten the tension.
I think this will help.

Pontiac1976 09-23-2021 11:12 PM

Oh and the two springs where hook to the linkage turn the hooks out from the carb so they do not get caught on the rod linkage.

truckin 79 09-24-2021 11:50 AM

You could try just one spring on carb as long as it pulls cable all the way back on idle stop screw. You could also try putting spring between the small hole in carb linkage and just below cable in linkage.

65chevysub 09-24-2021 04:35 PM

I stretched out the spring and it works perfect now. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.