The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for a rear mount tank (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764001)

SKR 05-17-2018 11:48 AM

Looking for a rear mount tank

Hey I'm looking for a rear tank, preferably EFI ready, and definitely as bolt-in as possible. I see No Limit makes one, and CPP does too. Does anyone have any experience with either one of those? Is there anyone else I should look at? Thanks.

daddyjeep 05-17-2018 12:41 PM

Re: Looking for a rear mount tank (NOT BOYD WELDING)

A lot of us use an OEM Blazer or Suburban tank. Although this may not be as fancy as the other options you are looking at, but it gets the job done.

RADustin 05-17-2018 01:25 PM

I've had great success with tanks inc.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat133.htm

lolife99 05-17-2018 01:34 PM

GSI Machine Fab just started making these for c10’s.

SKR 05-17-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8262826)
A lot of us use an OEM Blazer or Suburban tank. Although this may not be as fancy as the other options you are looking at, but it gets the job done.

I was under the impression that the Blazer tank took a little engineering to get it to work, but talking to my mechanic today he said he didn't think it would be an issue. So that might be the way I go. It won't be as pretty but the rest of the truck sucks so there's no need for the tank to be a work of art.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADustin (Post 8262859)
I've had great success with tanks inc.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat133.htm

Thanks, I'll have a better look at that tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8262865)
GSI Machine Fab just started making these for c10’s.

I didn't know that, thanks. All their crossmembers and frames and stuff look really nice, so their tanks should be too.

44th Miss Inf 05-17-2018 07:20 PM

I’ve got a bad blazer frame I’ll remove the tank crossmembers and mounting hardware from if anyone is interested.

Goats86 05-17-2018 07:21 PM

The drawback to the Blazer tank is no baffles. When mine shows less that 1/4 tank (about 8 gallons) and I corner and throttle hard, it can loose fuel for a second.

44th Miss Inf 05-17-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goats86 (Post 8263056)
The drawback to the Blazer tank is no baffles. When mine shows less that 1/4 tank (about 8 gallons) and I corner and throttle hard, it can loose fuel for a second.

The one out of the 89 Blazer I have with the bad frame was baffled. I’m guessing 87 - up would be as they are FI, but could be wrong.

LOW 7FO 05-17-2018 09:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKR (Post 8262789)
Hey I'm looking for a rear tank, preferably EFI ready, and definitely as bolt-in as possible. I see No Limit makes one, and CPP does too. Does anyone have any experience with either one of those? Is there anyone else I should look at? Thanks.

I bought the No Limit tank with an internal pump to simplify my EFI install. It looks to be high quality. Requires you to remove the spare tire holder and rear cross member. The one thing I don't like about it is that the mounting flange is flat for the full length of the tank and the rear frame has a small kick up which makes it look goofy for mounting it. I plan to make some sort of elbow bracket to fill this area up. Won't be visible once bed is back on anyways I'm just being picky. Hopefully I didn't overlook something with it haha. See attached pics.

SKR 05-17-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goats86 (Post 8263056)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf (Post 8263102)
The one out of the 89 Blazer I have with the bad frame was baffled. I’m guessing 87 - up would be as they are FI, but could be wrong.

I would have thought an 87+ tank would be baffled too, but I've never seen one to know for sure. Either way, Holley's Hydramat would probably be a quick and easy fix for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW 7FO (Post 8263171)
I bought the No Limit tank with an internal pump to simplify my EFI install. It looks to be high quality. Requires you to remove the spare tire holder and rear cross member. The one thing I don't like about it is that the mounting flange is flat for the full length of the tank and the rear frame has a small kick up which makes it look goofy for mounting it. I plan to make some sort of elbow bracket to fill this area up. Won't be visible once bed is back on anyways I'm just being picky. Hopefully I didn't overlook something with it haha. See attached pics.

Looks nice. I see what you mean about the flange. That would probably bug me too.

Bloodhound 05-18-2018 10:32 AM

I got a poly 31 gallon Blazer tank from here http://www.ineedparts.com/heavy-duty...y-gm-en-2.html

It is baffled.

zach_carver 05-18-2018 11:58 AM

Why not Boyds? Ive used a few of them and always had great luck with them.

SKR 05-18-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach_carver (Post 8263493)
Why not Boyds? Ive used a few of them and always had great luck with them.

Because I got mad and jumped the gun regarding an issue I had, but that has been resolved and I will now be using a Boyd tank.

86c10shorty 05-19-2018 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Boyd fuel tanks are pretty sweet, you can always go to EFI for when your ready to go that routeAttachment 1785822