The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interest in Dummy Gas Cap Filler Neck? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829199)

pjmoreland 12-28-2021 05:57 PM

Interest in Dummy Gas Cap Filler Neck?

5 Attachment(s)
**EDIT2** The dummy filler necks are now available here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...29#post9027329

**EDIT** Please see post #135 for information on the current design. Also, the price has been increased to $135 to cover the cost of including a USA-made grommet that will work with 67-72 trucks.

I'm trying to find out if people would be interested in purchasing a dummy filler neck from me that is installed in the stock cab tank filler location when the stock tank has been removed. I fabricated one for my truck recently after installing a Boyd tank. I created drawings for the components and had a machine shop give me a quote for making 10 sets of parts that I would then weld together and paint. I would need to charge $120 each to cover the costs and time. This product would include a modified 60-66 reproduction filler neck. Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in buying from me. Also, please let me know if the price seems reasonable. This isn't a "for sale" listing. I'm just trying to gauge interest before committing to ordering parts.

jimijam00 12-28-2021 06:41 PM

Re: Interest in Dummy Gas Cap Filler Neck?

That's pretty cool.

jocko 12-28-2021 06:47 PM

I definitely prefer the look of a filler neck and cap even if the the tank has been relocated. Nice looking part, I can't imagine there wouldn't interest in something like this (and the big vendors might be interested in the design.. and I'm sure they look at this website, so ya better hurry and patent this! :)). And if someone tries to fill-er-up, it's self-teaching!

MDFarms 12-28-2021 07:44 PM

PICK ME PICK ME I'm in at $120.00 hopefully 9 other will take us up on the deal and get them coming. If not I will have to pay you for your drawing to make my own.

pjmoreland 12-28-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFarms (Post 9012113)
PICK ME PICK ME I'm in at $120.00 hopefully 9 other will take us up on the deal and get them coming. If not I will have to pay you for your drawing to make my own.

If it turns out that there isn't enough interest, then I will make you one by hand.

MDFarms 12-28-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9012116)
If it turns out that there isn't enough interest, then I will make you one by hand.

Thats great but like all things this will gain traction I have time! I would post in general discussion with a poll. Just like Field of dreams "build it and they will come"

Thanks again<
Chad

D.B 12-28-2021 09:40 PM

That is a very cool set up. I am interested in one.

Warrens69GMC 12-28-2021 09:46 PM

Pretty cool!!

jmking9 12-28-2021 10:18 PM

I've always said if I moved a tank from the cab on one of these trucks, I would do something like that. I think it's a great idea.

pjmoreland 12-28-2021 10:34 PM

I agree that it's a great idea. It was PepperTreeGarage's idea, shown in this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780867

If there is enough interest in me making a small batch of these, then I will want approval from PepperTreeGarage before proceeding. I have attempted to contact him.

Truckin Fool 12-29-2021 07:05 AM

That is a great idea. One of those things that make you wonder why it’s not already a thing. I don’t think the price is unreasonable at all considering what you would have to spend to duplicate it yourself. Please put me in for one if you move forward with them.
Dan

Getter-Done 12-29-2021 07:14 AM

That looks good.
I have seen people put an alarm system switch there.
It just looks like a locking gas cap.

MDFarms 12-29-2021 08:47 AM

The key to this design is the correct length and angle when welded together. I have seen many thats either not long enough and sandwhiching the grommet or tighter at bottom than top another words WRONG angle when welded. I'm in no hurry so let me know when ready and if this turns into a LMC/Brothers part remember who pushed you to replicating another partner! LOL

Seems like patent description would be real simple! I'm surprised Boyd Tank doesnt have this as a added part option when purchasing their tanks

mkmc69 12-29-2021 08:59 AM

I may be interested in one. Not trying to pick your idea apart, because it looks like a great design overall, but one thing that I see is that it doesn't look like it sticks out far enough. Maybe its the angle of the pics. Again, not trying to sound like a dick, but that's what I see.

MDFarms 12-29-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmc69 (Post 9012316)
I may be interested in one. Not trying to pick your idea apart, because it looks like a great design overall, but one thing that I see is that it doesn't look like it sticks out far enough. Maybe its the angle of the pics. Again, not trying to sound like a dick, but that's what I see.

What are you thinking on how much longer? 1/4-1/2-5/8-3/4?

Always good to get all opinions

mkmc69 12-29-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFarms (Post 9012330)
What are you thinking on how much longer? 1/4-1/2-5/8-3/4?

Always good to get all opinions

Just by looking at his pics, I'm judging 1/4" tops. I would have to look at my 67 and my 72 to be sure on that. It's not much off, but it looks to be on the shallow side IMO. I do like his design though for sure.

pjmoreland 12-29-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmc69 (Post 9012316)

That is true. It does not stick out as far as the stock filler neck. This is necessary due to the way it is being held in position. There is a small lip on the filler neck that is pushed up against the grommet. One way around this would be to weld some small tabs or a thin ring to the filler neck, but this would be visible from the outside. Another possibility would be to make some thin fingers that would slip underneath the grommet and hook onto the outside of the metal cab hole. This approach would complicate the design.

Greenlee 12-29-2021 11:37 AM

Would be a cool hiding spot for a toggle switch for bed lights or something.

KQQL IT 12-29-2021 01:01 PM

I'm interested in one.
Tired of listening to the float rolling around in the bottom of the tank.

MDFarms 12-29-2021 01:05 PM

I'm good with original design or if you come up with a new one that's fine as well. All in all yours looks nice.

57larry 12-29-2021 01:08 PM

why? just patch the hole

pjmoreland 12-29-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFarms (Post 9012394)
I'm good with original design or if you come up with a new one that's fine as well. All in all yours looks nice.

I've been thinking about this a fair amount this morning. It would be fairly easy to add a tubular spacer to the outside of the filler neck to move the gas cap farther from the grommet. It would alter the appearance of the filler neck though, so it would be a tradeoff. Adding the spacer would also add maybe $20-$30 to the cost.

Adding fingers under the grommet that would grab onto the cab metal would likely cause the grommet to bulge, it may scratch the paint, and it may compromise the seal of the grommet against the cab.

pjmoreland 12-29-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57larry (Post 9012397)
why? just patch the hole

It's to retain the original look of the truck. Also, patching the hole on a truck that has already been painted or still has the original paint is not so straightforward. Personally, I think trucks that have had the hole patched look like there is something missing, unless the truck is already highly modified.

indymachinist 12-29-2021 05:34 PM

This is a great idea. I made something similar for my own truck several years back.

Hubscrub 12-29-2021 05:45 PM

I like it, I like the look of the gas filler on old trucks.:smoke: