The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   rolling back or ahead the speedo mileage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826576)

wazzabie 10-06-2021 07:12 PM

rolling back or ahead the speedo mileage

My speedometer is broken. I found one in the junk yard but it does not have the same mileage. Is there an easy way to change the mileage?

Just call me Sean 10-07-2021 07:45 PM

Re: rolling back or ahead the speedo mileage

Yes, the factory makes it very easy to commit odometer fraud. :D

TrailerTrash 10-07-2021 09:07 PM

Take the broken one apart. It isn't hard to figure out how to... adjust milage;)

old Rusty C10 10-08-2021 10:01 AM

technically its against the law to mess with an odometer, there are licensed shops that make these adjustments, however you will see how to take one apart if you want to adjust the replacement one

Just call me Sean 10-08-2021 10:41 AM

Pretty sure there needs to be intent to commit fraud for it to be against the law.

Bloodhound 10-08-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean (Post 8981580)
Pretty sure there needs to be intent to commit fraud for it to be against the law.

Exactly. I just set the mileage on my new Dakota Digital gauges (to the correct mileage). Same difference.

kipps 10-08-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean (Post 8981580)

Agree with this. Besides, most of these trucks no longer have the mileage reported on the titles, since the odometer has rolled over at least once.

As best I can tell, this same thing applies to moving a VIN from one cab to another. Highly illegal if your intent is wrong, but there are legitimate ways of doing it for restoration purposes.

hatzie 10-10-2021 07:58 PM

I've matched mileage of repaired replacement digital clusters to the old otherwise damaged and not repairable old ones that still had readable chips. The intent was to make sure I was not changing the mileage. If I caught the wrong overzealous prosecutor they could probably still stitch me up for doing that.

If the odometer was stalled on the old speed head the mileage is already no longer accurate. If it's cleared 100,000 miles or you're not sure whether it's cleared that number you're obligated to check the exceeds mechanical limits or does not reflect actual mileage box on the odometer paperwork.
In that case I wouldn't bother with trying to match the new odometer to the old one. Something else to consider is the likelihood that the odometer gears are quite brittle with age. You run the very real risk of damaging your good replacement odometer.

I'd take the dead speed head apart and play with it to figure out how it works.

wazzabie 10-10-2021 09:54 PM

It was run for a year or so with the broken spedo not registering. I know roughly what the millage is. On something this old it is exempt anyways. It would be nice to know how many miles till next oil change.

hatzie 10-11-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzabie (Post 8982503)
It was run for a year or so with the broken spedo not registering. I know roughly what the millage is. On something this old it is exempt anyways. It would be nice to know how many miles till next oil change.

If you have a working replacement speedometer/odometer then just install it and run it.
As you said it's for maintenance intervals not for telling how many miles are actually on the chassis now. That ship sailed as soon as it was driven with a stalled odometer.
When or if you sell it you just tick that box that says the odometer doesn't reflect the actual mileage or something similar and include that in the verbiage of your bill of sale or separate odometer statement.