The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The rare "Red Seat" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=512339)

rideblue00 03-03-2012 08:44 PM

The rare "Red Seat"

Not mine, dont know this guy either. I was browsing ebay and came across this truck with the rare "red seat" and thought i would share.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

FAT TONY 03-03-2012 08:48 PM

Re: The rare "Red Seat"

Rare red seat?

can you give more information about them?

rideblue00 03-03-2012 09:18 PM

I dont have much. Aerotruk could possibly. I think they only came in 65 and earlier.

FAT TONY 03-03-2012 09:41 PM

oh well its because my aunts 65 came with one but im not sure what they did with it i figured maybe its worth something if it came like thats

oem4me 03-03-2012 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These seats are very seldom seen. They are definitely worth something, but it's not like each one came with a gold bar sewn into it.
I'm not sure if the ad copy is correct in that it reads like you automatically got the red seat if you bought a red, white, or gray truck. I think I've seen plenty of trucks in those colors with a regular fawn seat. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Chevyman680063 03-03-2012 10:57 PM

Is that duct tape on the rocker panel and fender?

krazy_texan 03-03-2012 11:33 PM

I have a red seat in my truck that looks just like it but it has a seat cover over it. i was just reading this thread and kinda got to thinking i have never really pulled the seat cover completly off but i saw this and ran out to the truck ripped off the cover and to my what did appear before my eyes was that same seat pattern. that kinda made my day.

ill post pics tomorrow

kevinc 03-04-2012 09:34 AM

Kinda wondering what happened to the right side of the bed. That's a nasty looking repair.

krazy_texan 03-04-2012 10:16 AM

Just curios as to exactly how rare this seat is and yes I now plan on keeping mine since I know it is not common I just want to know more about what I have. Is it rare to the poin that you guys have never actually seen one in person or what's the deal with it I'm just curious
Posted via Mobile Device

joedoh 03-04-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinc (Post 5229000)
Kinda wondering what happened to the right side of the bed. That's a nasty looking repair.

doesnt look like a repair, looks like a hinged door for loading/unloading small livestock, maybe chickens or pigs. looks like an extra bed side is included.

ChiefRocka 03-04-2012 11:03 AM

My '63 Custom Cab has the Custom Comfort option...but the seat upholestry is long gone !!

factorystock 03-04-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazy_texan (Post 5229059)
Just curios as to exactly how rare this seat is and yes I now plan on keeping mine since I know it is not common I just want to know more about what I have. Is it rare to the poin that you guys have never actually seen one in person or what's the deal with it I'm just curious
Posted via Mobile Device

As oem4me pointed out correctly, the custom cab seat was color coordinated to outside color from '62 thru '65. This is not considered rare, just hard to find, since only a few exterior colors got the red seat. Any original upholstry is hard to find in these trucks today. Any original seat upholstry without rips and tears and looks like new is even harder to find. Note the red arm rest on door also (part of the color coordinated package)! This is why original trucks are so interesting, there is much to learn from them.

oem4me 03-04-2012 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by krazy_texan (Post 5229059)
Posted via Mobile Device

I could not tell you exactly how rare, but suffice to say I have only seen them in pictures (and only a few pictures at that). Those being the pics from the first post in this thread, and below.

lil hoodlum 03-04-2012 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this at the local salvage yard. Looks pretty close.

Keith

LT1 Burb 03-04-2012 12:46 PM

Definately a red seat is few and far between but unless it is perfect it is not really worth anything.

chevy_man5 03-04-2012 01:42 PM

One of the local guys here has 2 trucks, both have the red seat. He didn't even know they were rare when he got them. Found out about it later. Neither one is perfect, but the one is pretty decent.

oem4me 03-04-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1 Burb (Post 5229386)
Definately a red seat is few and far between but unless it is perfect it is not really worth anything.

True. And also, rarity does not always equate to more money. Suppose you found two perfect original seats; One red, the other fawn. The fawn seat would probably sell faster because the red would only be correct in certain trucks.

theastronaut 03-04-2012 03:02 PM

I saw pics of a crew can conversion last week that had front and rear red seats! I'll see if I can find that pic again and post it here.
Posted via Mobile Device

theastronaut 03-04-2012 05:05 PM

Here's that pic, and the link to thread it was in.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=Crew+cab

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/186c3bb6.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

62-One-Ton 03-08-2012 11:21 AM

Ive got one similar to that. But IMO mine looks nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device

krazy_texan 03-08-2012 11:49 PM

I'm not really worried about value of the seat I was just curious because well its kinda cool to say hey look at this lol
Posted via Mobile Device

aerotruk63 03-09-2012 08:25 AM

I can give reference to 63 only. Please read the bottom right paragraph.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e...0/image0-3.jpg

stoveboltcrazy 03-14-2012 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to try to clean this one up--didn't know much about these until I came across this thread. This seat was in a 65 C20 I recently bought.

Captainfab 03-15-2012 12:22 AM

Wow, that one looks like it is in pretty nice shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoveboltcrazy (Post 5251227)
I'm going to try to clean this one up--didn't know much about these until I came across this thread. This seat was in a 65 C20 I recently bought.

bedfordia 03-23-2012 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of my red seat. I got it done at Vics Upholstery in Tulare. It's a Variation of the custom comfort seat. the bottom panel is red and black nylon to match the red in the cab, ( if I ever get off my lazy a** and finish), and the black carpet.