The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Speakers for Double Wall Top Blazers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826615)

boynton 10-07-2021 07:35 PM

Speakers for Double Wall Top Blazers

I am wrapping up my '72 K5 with a 68 nose build (I'm sorry I have not done a build thread :( )

I am new to the Blazer world and am wondering what everyone else has done with their sound system that has a double wall top. I have seen the side panels for the bedsides and I like them, but it limits the amount of times I would take the top off since I would not be able to access the hardware easily. I am curious what others have done (pictures please!) with their sound system.

I have a 6 point roll bar that covers the back seat and I was thinking of doing speaker enclosures similar to the ones you see on wake-boarding boats. I am open to any and all ideas. I am not going to cut the doors so I think that I am limited to speakers mounted under the dash for the front, but I would like another two for the rear and a sub/amp.

boynton 10-07-2021 07:38 PM

Re: Speakers for Double Wall Top Blazers

3 Attachment(s)
Photos

truckster 10-07-2021 08:12 PM

Honestly, I have a stock AM/FM radio stored away somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. My "stereo" is the sound of the dual exhausts (I run a soft top). I think if I did have a stereo I would have to turn it up so high to hear it that I would be deaf in short order.

So I guess I'm no help, but your Blazer is coming along nicely.

boynton 10-08-2021 12:14 AM

:lol

Thanks. It has been a long project for sure. I started about 4 years ago just dabbling with it and got serious this year. I hope to have it driving by the end of the month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8981405)
Honestly, I have a stock AM/FM radio stored away somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. My "stereo" is the sound of the dual exhausts (I run a soft top). I think if I did have a stereo I would have to turn it up so high to hear it that I would be deaf in short order.

So I guess I'm no help, but your Blazer is coming along nicely.

Blue GMC 10-10-2021 03:34 PM

Nice job looks forward to seeing more and your little one looks ready for the first ride as well. Enjoy these times they go too fast.

Ol Blue K20 10-12-2021 10:20 AM

Looks good, I like the wake board boat idea. Your daughter is a cutie, she's going to grow fast so enjoy ever moment!

hemi43 10-13-2021 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Amp is located inside the gas can with the sub. To be honest. these trucks are useless with a stereo unless you just plan on tailgating.

AsianBlazer 10-19-2021 03:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's how mine are currently mounted. 6x9 Polk Audio speakers mounted in waterproof wakeboard tower pods with 2" collars. Speaker wire is run through the bar. They work great for now, I know it's not the most aesthetically appealing set up, but it's functional with the Retro Sound Laguna in dash unit.

boynton 10-19-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBlazer (Post 8985776)
Here's how mine are currently mounted. 6x9 Polk Audio speakers mounted in waterproof wakeboard tower pods with 2" collars. Speaker wire is run through the bar. They work great for now, I know it's not the most aesthetically appealing set up, but it's functional with the Retro Sound Laguna in dash unit.

That’s great. I don’t expect it to have a factory look. Did you pout them on the side bar for better visibility or height reasons? I haven’t had the back seat installed in my blazer since I’ve had the roll bar in it. I don’t have much of an idea how much room I’ll have.

boynton 10-19-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8983363)
Amp is located inside the gas can with the sub. To be honest. these trucks are useless with a stereo unless you just plan on tailgating.

That’s an awesome idea!

boynton 10-19-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue GMC (Post 8982357)
Nice job looks forward to seeing more and your little one looks ready for the first ride as well. Enjoy these times they go too fast.

Thanks! We are having lots of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8983004)
Looks good, I like the wake board boat idea. Your daughter is a cutie, she's going to grow fast so enjoy ever moment!

Thank you. Time is already flying by!

AsianBlazer 10-21-2021 12:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 8985887)
That’s great. I don’t expect it to have a factory look. Did you pout them on the side bar for better visibility or height reasons? I haven’t had the back seat installed in my blazer since I’ve had the roll bar in it. I don’t have much of an idea how much room I’ll have.

It was the best place to mount them. They are farther forward on the side bar than they appear. Initially I was going to mount them on the vertical bars behind the seats but chose this spot. Visibility is still great and sound is really good with the kick panels speakers in the front. The kick panels install easily as does the head unit and the speakers don't stand out too much looking from the outside.

mister.freeze 10-29-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 8981387)
Photos

what color is that?! Love it.

A1971Blazer 10-29-2021 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made some side panels from textured ABS plastic sheet...
Cut in holes for 6x9 speakers...
Raised the rear seat 1" and put the sub under the seat...
Amp is under the driver seat...I had to rework the slide adjuster to raise it up and clear the amp
My doors were cut already...so I put in 5¼" round speakers in the doors...
Attachment 2142165