The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 11-08-2012 12:10 AM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5690220)
nice work on the seam sealing !

Thanks man! Always nice to get a compliment from a superstar!! Your Six Seven is the poo! Super anxious for the rest of your build AND the new Slosh Blazer!!

jlsanborn 11-08-2012 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Played hookey today! Got the whole day to myself and the pickup. I finished up the sealer but it wasn't until the very end that I really got the process figured out. I'd really like to grind the $hit out and do it over again now! Actually, what I figured out is that its pretty damn easy to go back and touch up what you screwed up. I did lots of that :lol:.
Once the sealer was done I got it outside for a blow and another money shot! Swept the fun-dome out too. Brought it back in for a full scuff, a wipe down, then shot G2. Half a gallon of that stuff to lay two fatties inside and out! The stuff came out pretty lumpy, so I'll have to figure out how to lay it down slick for the next chapter. WHAT CAN I REDUCE THAT STUFF WITH? I'll finally get to the SANDIN part.

Missed a call today from a primo-member. I'll call him back tomorrow for the skinny on this!

Thanks for the edits Bomp!!

Low Elco 11-08-2012 09:24 AM

Heh... you said "blow" and "money shot". Heh, Heh. MY BAD, sir. I should have mentioned to use a splash of lacquer thinner to get the G2 "flowing", as it were. Nothing scientific, just a splash. Act like you're mixing drinks. Sealer looks great! I had exactly NO problem with G2 over epoxy. That's why I went that way, 'cuz it's a good bit more expensive. Had a big problem over etch primer. Wouldn't do that. You did use the biggest tip you had, right? I bought the 3 gun set from HF and I leave the 1.8 in the big gun for priming. G2'll have a little grain to the surface anyway, but it's a filler primer, you're gonna sand 90% of it off! Wait'll you guide coat and block with 150. THAT'LL open your eyes! MUUAAHAHAHAHAHA! You're doing good, Keep it up! (That's what she said! BAHahahahahaha! Geez, I crack myself up.)

Low Elco 11-08-2012 09:32 AM

Ach, I forgot, I use Norton. Anything after 320ish is gonna be wet/dry, so no sticky. Mine comes in a roll for the block paper, and no it ain't cheap, but it wasn't too bad. Makes it a hell of a lot easier on the round blocks. Look here-

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/nort...s-p-18828.aspx

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/nort...t-p-18829.aspx

These are exactly what I use, but my guy even has 'em in half rolls, 'cuz I'm a cheap azz!

jlsanborn 11-08-2012 12:41 PM

Sweet, thanks for the tips Bevis!
Yup, that was the 1.8 tip. I knew I would be sanding the snot out of it anyways so I kept going. I prolly shouldn't have layed in on so thick on the inside roof but I could use the excersise anyways. I'll for sure add a little thinner next time as it was kinda "chuggin" outta the gun.
I've got another place to look for the paper. If they aint' got it I guess I could just order some. I don't have a DA but I do have a 6" random orbit (electric). Where can I use that without screwin stuff up?

Low Elco 11-08-2012 01:09 PM

Tread carefully with them electric wood sanders. They are built and speeded for wood, usually, which is a whole different deal. They'll dig a big hole if you let em. Most of its hand work here on in unless you really know what you're doing. But if you take your time and finish each step all the way to the edges, it gets easier as you go.
Posted via Mobile Device

XxCHEVYMANxX 11-08-2012 06:51 PM

Looks Good Man ! I agree dont even use any kind of power sander now. hand sanding will give you the best results. besides everything is gonna sand easy now.

jlsanborn 11-08-2012 09:31 PM

Check that - NO sander. Mad busy at work today, didn't stop for paper neitha :( Tomorrow - promise! Maybe snow tonight :(

Bomp 11-08-2012 10:42 PM

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...rt%202/a36.jpg

I hate flies!

Your kickin some major a$$ Dude.

jlsanborn 11-08-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5692814)
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...rt%202/a36.jpg

I hate flies!

Your kickin some major a$$ Dude.

Thanks man! I'm pumped to get to the FUN part!

Little a-hole was still alive! You can see him praying in that pic, but no mercy for vermin round here!

Low Elco 11-09-2012 07:42 AM

Heh, wait'll the truck's yellow, and he lands between the first and second cost of clear. That's fun. Thank god for Uncle Matt, who reminded me of the kiss it out with the tape trick.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-09-2012 08:32 PM

Kay, so I scored rolls of Norton 150 and 240. They didn't have the 400 but will by Tuesday or so. I'm fixin to go put a guide coat on and hit it with the 150. Can I put more G2 on over any guide coat that remains (low spots) or do I need to buff off out first???

Low Elco 11-10-2012 07:17 AM

Yep, that's the idea. I just give the lows a scrubby scrubby with my paper to give them some tooth. Spot in your lows a couple good times, then shoot the whole panel again.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 12:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the help man!! You should be in mission control or something! "Houston.....we have a problem...." Things are turning out SWEET! You weren't kidding about all the little dingers I'd find with that guide coat. It woulda looked like hell. So far I've gotten about half the outside of the cab done and found nothing that'll need filler. I did get down to metal in a few spots. I hope that's ok?? The data sheet for G2 says bare metal areas larger than an inch should be re-etch primered so I've tried to keep those break throughs small. I think another heavy coat of G2 is gonna make it ( . )( . ) then I'll do lighter coats for the 240 and 400. It's really kinda fun and exciting seeing how nice it's turning out! I'm sure that feeling is gonna "sand" off quicker than the rest of the panels tho!
I think I effed up by shooting the interior with the hi-build. Nothing in there really needed that and now I've got a heavy coat of orange peel throughout that I'll have to sand down. That's going to be fun!!!
Fire is buring and I've got the WHOLE WEEKEND to work on this thing!!!

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 04:51 PM

First block is done and I just shot another fatty on there. That seam sealer is still pretty soft in the thick spots!! I kept dingin in the drip rails with the block :( I sure hope that stuff firms up better. After this next block I'll have to touch up some that stuff AGAIN. Looking sweet dudes, film at 11:00 :metal:

67cheby 11-10-2012 04:53 PM

looking good, get her smooth !

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks Mike! Ya, that part where I said it was "fun" just wore off.... The orange peel inside is pretty heavy and SUCKS to sand. That part is going to take a while. On a good note, I added thinner like Elco said on the last shot and that stuff layed out slick!! Next round should be WAY easier.

Bomp 11-10-2012 08:37 PM

Glad to hear someone gets to mess around with their truck. Congratz man:metal:. I on the other hand worked 12,10,12,10,12 and 8 on saturday and another 8 tomorrow, (Sunday).:waah::whine::ben:
Gonna take Mon-Wed off to work on the '66 and rip out rosebushes.

Glad to see all the great work. Your making it look easy.
You could have your own show,"Wood Haulin' and Body wor....no....ah,,.....Wood Haulin' and Killin' Flies!

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5695820)
Glad to hear someone gets to mess around with their truck. Congratz man:metal:. I on the other hand worked 12,10,12,10,12 and 8 on saturday and another 8 tomorrow, (Sunday).:waah::whine::ben:
Gonna take Mon-Wed off to work on the '66 and rip out rosebushes.

Glad to see all the great work. Your making it look easy.
You could have your own show,"Wood Haulin' and Body wor....no....ah,,.....Wood Haulin' and Killin' Flies!

Thanks Bomp! Props to Elco and John here on helping me through. It's Autobody 101 on the internet! I'd love to grab a chain and come help you yard rosebushes out but I bet it'd be a grandy in fuel :lol:

Ya know that myth about flies only living for like two days or some $hit? BUSTED! I went to pick that sucker off and ITS ALIVE!!!! Scared the snot outta me really. Bet that hurt when I ripped his little a$$ off there leaving his wings behind :devil:

That's a $hit-ton of hours to work dude. What are you doin for all that time? Haulin home the bacon I hope! Anxiously await an update to your build!

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 08:56 PM

Wifey and I wound up with an empty nest tonight so I pulled the plug. Got almost all the orange peel knocked off the interior. Just have the ceiling to do then the door jambs :( With any luck I'll be shooting some COLOR next week :metal:

Question:
Do I need to get all my Butternut in one lot so I don't wind up with variations in tint each batch???? When wifey buys interior paint she does it that way.

jlsanborn 11-10-2012 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a line I didn't even know was there! :metal:

butternut1972 11-11-2012 02:34 AM

Lookin' good Buddy! The way your moving your going to be done before me.

jlsanborn 11-11-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 5696346)
Lookin' good Buddy! The way your moving your going to be done before me.

Thanks dude! Just gotta watch the budget to keep rolling. Member that boat I want to upgrade? :haha:

Low Elco 11-11-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5695855)
Wifey and I wound up with an empty nest tonight so I pulled the plug.

Is that what you call it in WA? :devil::metal:;):ww::thumbs::fro::jdp::ack::m3::ennyd::hot::four::two::wave:

Question:
Do I need to get all my Butternut in one lot so I don't wind up with variations in tint each batch???? When wifey buys interior paint she does it that way.

Yep, I mixed 4 gal together in an empty when I did Yeller. Tip: They sell little clip on spout dealies for gallon cans @ HD, Lowes, Etc. Get several, they are a godsend. Hella mess without them, especially with base. Extra (too late) tip: If it ain't exterior, and the OE fiinish looks good, LEAVE IT ALONE. Degrease it and scuff it with Scotchbrite when you're ready to shoot color. Color it and drive on. Same rule if it's been stripped and it's in epoxy. On interiors and cut-ins, especially on a driver, screw it, scuff and shoot, as long as it's straight enough on it's own and it's not bare metal.

Thanks are not necessary, I just wanna see all you hard work in a pretty wrapper. I hate to see the time, money, and materials go to waste when a bit of instruction and work makes the exact same thing a whole lot nicer package. It's literally a pet peeve of mine. I think I didn't do enough on Yeller, but at some point, you ain't Charlie Hutton, and this thing's gotta get done! You're doing great, keep it up! :sumo::metal::devil:

XxCHEVYMANxX 11-11-2012 09:37 AM

Low elco's got the goods ! that pour spout is A+. Personally I never had any problem with paint matching if it was from the same can. with this being my first full vehicle, besides cycles. I got two gallons 1:1 mix, and I used 1 gallon on the interior and all jambs, and small parts. the other gallon saved for all exterior. test spray on something with paint to get your gun set up so it sprays nice, and leave it like that so you will have consistent coverage. btw your doin great ! lookin good Johnny !