The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 11-23-2012 02:52 AM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5717276)
I like the sway bar kit for the rear. I am going to install one on my truck also

I've been waiting quite a while for this. No Limit finished their prototype a month or two ago and it's taken this long for them to get their hands on the production bars. It's non-adjustable but I've got faith in Rob's judgement in the design and I'm sure it'll be just fine for my purposes. I'm going to run the Monroe Magnum shocks at all four corners. My tires aren't exactly suited for autocross but for a driver I'm hoping it'll handle more like a car than a truck! One day I will report!

jlsanborn 11-23-2012 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fell asleep after chow for a couple hours so now I'm up all night on the forum!

Noticed something I missed. I ordered up a bunch of small bits including the door bumpers. That's when I realized there were only two per side but I've got extra holes in the door jamb. Looked closer and its just the aftermarket rocker I replaced. You can see them in the pic. Dammit! I've got holes to patch. Already cut some patches so I'll get on that tomorrow.

Bomp 11-23-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5717877)
Fell asleep after chow for a couple hours so now I'm up all night on the forum!

Noticed something I missed. I ordered up a bunch of small bits including the door bumpers. That's when I realized there were only two per side but I've got extra holes in the door jamb. Looked closer and its just the aftermarket rocker I replaced. You can see them in the pic. Dammit! I've got holes to patch. Already cut some patches so I'll get on that tomorrow.

Geeze:banghead:I hate that. Almost done and then back to square on on something missed.:m6:
Got faith in ya brother, You'll get it corrected.
Sounds like your truck will corner on rails when done.

True 67 11-23-2012 11:59 AM

Nothing to do at work today so i went thru your entire build.. awesome and keep up the work..

True

CURSED GEARS 11-23-2012 12:39 PM

I also went through your whole build. Took a couple of hours. Good stuff. Seeing that picture of your boys arm put butterflys in my stomach! I'm anxious to see how your paint turns out. I did my own paint a few years ago for the first time, I could of used all of this advice. I'll be watching, good luck!

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CURSED GEARS (Post 5718229)
I also went through your whole build. Took a couple of hours. Good stuff. Seeing that picture of your boys arm put butterflys in my stomach! I'm anxious to see how your paint turns out. I did my own paint a few years ago for the first time, I could of used all of this advice. I'll be watching, good luck!

Thanks for the read! I'm feeling pretty good now about painting it myself but we'll see!!

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got a bit done yesterday and I'm headed out to light the fire again. I patched them silly holes in the rocker and got a little filler over them. Got the mess cleaned up and got the doors back out. The PO must have tried nine different sets of mirrors on this thing but I've got all them holes filled and both skins are done. I just gotta drill holes for a passenger mirror and weld in some nuts for arm rests then I'll be ready to shootem!

Bomp 11-24-2012 12:43 PM

Sure am glad you mentioned holes. I went out and looked at my replacement floor section (not installed yet thank God) and from the factory,,,,,,,stinkin' holes. Easier to fix off the truck rather than when their on.
Gotta have the boy shoot some vid with the uninjured arm when your blowin paint.

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 12:51 PM

Will do on the movie!
Ya, if I had seen the holes before I hung the rocker I could have simply plug welded them with a copper bar. Instead I ended up making tiny little circle patches, tacked finish nails across their asses so they wouldn't fall in then baby welded them in. What would have taken five minutes is now taking hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 11-24-2012 12:51 PM

Parts look great! Keep it up! Like I said, not so bad once you start Rollin!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-24-2012 11:38 PM

I'm withya on that!

Unfortunately, not much to report today. I did get the passenger door drilled for the mirror and went over both skins with filler again today. Man, that Durablock and 150 bring the filler in sideways! Both doors are WAY better than they were and I thought they were already done! Tried welding nuts inside the inner doors for the armrests. There are bosses and square holes just for them in the door, just none of them square nuts mashed in there. I welded a 1/4"-20 nut into one hole but it took forever to get it right and looks like ass. I have riv-nuts and the tool at work and I think a 1/4"er will fit in there good so Ima wait til Monday.

Gonna try and get it outside for a little wash then tidy up a little in the moring cuz Ma and Pa are coming for chow. I will get something done on the truck too tho!

jlsanborn 11-26-2012 02:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some work done yesterday before I had to stop and clean-house. There's getting to be a lot $hit in there again!

Found some threaded inserts at the hardware store that worked great for the arm rests. I thought about drilling out the nuts I had welded in the other door but decieded to move ahead. They look like crap but are solid. It's behind the panel anyway. Match drilled the panels and test fit - good to go! Welded up the little holes in the driver's panel and got everything sanded down.

It's MNF with Wifey tonight, but tomorrow I'll be back in the fun-dome shootin epoxy on those, the grille, tailgate and heater box!

Low Elco 11-26-2012 04:16 PM

Yummy gray frosting! If you spray it nice and smooth, you can dust the flat spots with 400, scotchbrite the rest down into the grooves, etc, and good to go! I would suggest shooting final paint on these, glovebox door, that kinda thing in advance (now) to get a feel for the products to come. Easy fix and all that. You're doing great!

jlsanborn 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

That's more great advice! I could probably do the door panels and cowl for testers.

I've assumed I could put the white vinyl tailgate letters down after basecoat and cover in clear??? Sound ok?

Low Elco 11-26-2012 06:20 PM

Ummmmm... put the letters on over the final paint.
1. They're cheap vinyl; they tend to peel up and go chalky if left out in the sun, etc. Easier to replace this way.

2. It'll look cool right off, then they'll either off-gas and pop your clear, or shrink up and jack up your clear. You don't want no part of fixin this.

3. This is just me, but paint the gate and put one coat of clear on. Scotchbrite the clear. cut out the letters of the kit so you have the outlines with the letters. Lay them on, but use the outlines, and peel the letters out and tape up the gaps. Dust whatever color you want in here and clear 2x. Hey, you've committed "custom paint"! And they won't peel up or fade or look crappy! Ad if you screw it up, snad it off the clear and re-base! Who cares!

That's what I'd do, but I'm a shifty feller with questionable morals. Do what you Will!

jlsanborn 11-26-2012 08:47 PM

Makes sense.... Don't want to bury something under the clear that might turn to crap. I like the idea of painting the letters on there but not sure how well I could mask that. I get what you're saying about using the inverse of the sticker sheet but my letters are recessed and I'm not sure how well that'd lay.. Ya know, I have one of them laser engravers at work. If I could duplicate the letters in CAD I could cut some outta wide tape. What if I sprayed white base and one clear over the letters, put my fancy tape letters on there and shot the yellow base???? Would the yellow cover that white very well? I could sell them suckers!

What would be cool is if I could shoot yellow / one clear, lay the tape letters, spray some kind of soluable masking spray goo, lift the letters, shoot white, wash the soluable masking spray goo that I haven't invented yet then two clear! :lol:

Low Elco 11-26-2012 09:31 PM

I have a can of the goo. House of Kolor sells it, it's called spraymask.

Www.coastairbrush.com
Works good if you spray it on thick. I would base 1 clear scuff mask cut out peel shoot peel 2 clear. Your other idea is valid, but those letters stick pretty good and the base probably ain't gonna be happy about it. Also, a lot of times those letters aren't exactly accurate. Have no fear of masking! Crack a beer, calm your self, get the right tools/supplies and knock it out! 1/4 inch blue tape(very fresh) for the edges, 2"masking for the fills, paper the big stuff, no biggie. Dust in your color, unmask and clear! Done!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 11-29-2012 02:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Kay, so plan as of now is to mask the grill/fenders like Cloud 9 and also the tailgate letters. I bet the Boy can do it better than I can, until I get some glasses anyway!
I still haven't bought the paint. I'm sitting on a small pot of dough that would prolly get me that, but I'm not sure I'm ready just yet. I'm still going to touch the seam sealer on the cab and there's some small spots that still need a bit more finish on there. Doors are good I think but I still gotta epoxy those, seam seal and block.
I pulled out a fender today and got some work done. I have a great appreciation for all them metal workers like Bomp! I replaced the whole driver's rocker and fabbed a few inches of drip rail already but this is the worst spot on the truck :lol:.

straight-edged a cut-out
traced the contour of the cut-out piece onto the table
mashed the cut-out piece flat then traced it onto an old door skin
used my trusty jig-saw with a metal blade to cut it out
hammered the patch to match the contour I had traced onto the table
ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP
grind, grind, flap, flap

Whole lotta phukin around for a little patch! Can't imagine chopping a couple rotten cabs in half and trying to join them back together five inches apart!

I'm moving forward and WILL FINISH!

jlsanborn 11-29-2012 02:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Still don't know how to INSERT as smooth as Bomp!
(ya, that's a floater, right over the middle):lol:

Low Elco 11-29-2012 07:48 AM

Right over the middle-har! Patch looks great! You find it goes a lot faster when you get your process down. I usually cut out what I need, overlay with masking paper, pencil rub the shape, cut that out, trace it over on my patch, and cut it out. But you cut a touch oversize and dust it with your zip sander to make it exact size. It's kinda fun, after a while. Looks great, keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

great job !

Bomp 11-29-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5729462)
Still don't know how to INSERT as smooth as Bomp!
(ya, that's a floater, right over the middle):lol:

Patch work looks good. You need one of these attachments to see it inserted nice and smooth. oh brother, I can see Low Elco bustin' up over backwards in his chair.:four:
When I mig I leave a slight gap so the wire has decent penetration between the two pieces, then you grind off the excess. More work but you can control the heat issue more easily. If I tig I try to get the metal to butt up dang near perfectly so the use of filler rod won't be needed. Lots more heat and more likely to warp, then you have to go back and hammer and dolly. Usually. Thats just me cause my experience level tiggin sheet metal is rather limited. Now on 3 /16" its a different story.
There ya have it. LE has enough ammo to write a book now.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...t%202/b401.jpg

gdavis 11-29-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5729457)
Kay, so plan as of now is to mask the grill/fenders like Cloud 9 and also the tailgate letters. I bet the Boy can do it better than I can, until I get some glasses anyway!
I still haven't bought the paint. I'm sitting on a small pot of dough that would prolly get me that, but I'm not sure I'm ready just yet. I'm still going to touch the seam sealer on the cab and there's some small spots that still need a bit more finish on there. Doors are good I think but I still gotta epoxy those, seam seal and block.
I pulled out a fender today and got some work done. I have a great appreciation for all them metal workers like Bomp! I replaced the whole driver's rocker and fabbed a few inches of drip rail already but this is the worst spot on the truck :lol:.

straight-edged a cut-out
traced the contour of the cut-out piece onto the table
mashed the cut-out piece flat then traced it onto an old door skin
used my trusty jig-saw with a metal blade to cut it out
hammered the patch to match the contour I had traced onto the table
ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP-ZAP
grind, grind, flap, flap

Whole lotta phukin around for a little patch! Can't imagine chopping a couple rotten cabs in half and trying to join them back together five inches apart!

I'm moving forward and WILL FINISH!

I used a bag of sand to round my metal. I put dry sand in a old pillar case and it does work.

Low Elco 11-29-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5730960)
Patch work looks good. You need one of these attachments to see it inserted nice and smooth. oh brother, I can see Low Elco bustin' up over backwards in his chair.:four:]

No book, polishing my halo over here..... You did crack me up, though!

Hey, I'm stealing the light mount idea! That would have been handy as hell this summer, more than once!

jlsanborn 11-30-2012 12:44 AM

No joke! That's a SWEET idea man! I HAVE to do something about these eyeballs of mine. Last couple of years has shown mad degradation in Johnny's vision. I need new lense protectors for the helmet too. I can hardly weld anymore. Add a couple barley-pops and LOOK OUT! Wind it up or drag the big buzz box out to glue a wood splitter back together or something and I'm golden! I can see a 1/2" puddle.