The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 11-30-2012 02:57 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5730981)
I used a bag of sand to round my metal. I put dry sand in a old pillar case and it does work.

Thanks for the tip and I'll give that a try!

jlsanborn 11-30-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5730960)
Patch work looks good. You need one of these attachments to see it inserted nice and smooth. oh brother, I can see Low Elco bustin' up over backwards in his chair.:four:
When I mig I leave a slight gap so the wire has decent penetration between the two pieces, then you grind off the excess. More work but you can control the heat issue more easily. If I tig I try to get the metal to butt up dang near perfectly so the use of filler rod won't be needed. Lots more heat and more likely to warp, then you have to go back and hammer and dolly. Usually. Thats just me cause my experience level tiggin sheet metal is rather limited. Now on 3 /16" its a different story.
There ya have it. LE has enough ammo to write a book now.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...t%202/b401.jpg

I especially admire the use of the hose bits to create the stand-offs and to capture the ty-wraps! Way to use the noggin man! Remember McGuiver? Dude could make a ten-speed with his belt and a few bits of trash :lol:

jlsanborn 12-03-2012 12:45 AM

Not much to report this weekend :(
I cut another small rust patch out of that battery-juice rotted fender corner but that's about it.
I did work on Chevy Trucks tho! The Big Fella has been running on a 800CFM Edelbrock Performer. It's run pretty well but economy has SUCKED! You could smell raw fuel in the cab and the throttle was WAY stiff. New cable, tons of return spring combos but always ON/OFF throttle control and 5mpg. I have a couple well-stocked strip kits and have played a ton with calibration / timing but could never find that sweet spot between ET and get-to-work for ten bucks or less. I found a nice virgin Q-Jet at the bone yard with all the little OEM bits to go with (screws, vac lines, cable stay, springs, etc...). I meticulously went through it with a kit, new float and an awesome Q-Jet tech paper (attached) - WOW! Way more driveable and you can just tell that it's using a ton less fuel between stop lights but quite low on low-end power. I think I can fatten the primary a couple ticks, maybe loosen the secondaries a tad and I'll be happy! Its the old-school divorced choke and with the Performer intake its not a bolt-on affair. I modded the remote choke to fit the intake and bent up my own adjustable rod. It's close but not just right. I don't remember what I did with the intake gaskets and may have blocked off the pre-heat ports! I'll tell ya, tromp on that dude in low and it gets rediculous! :metal::chevy:

jlsanborn 12-03-2012 01:11 AM

PDF was too large to attach. I tried to convert to a .txt version but It's too large too. I found it at TunedByLars.com. PM me and I can email a copy. I found it to be a very good read!

Low Elco 12-05-2012 02:58 PM

Sniff, sniff, no paint in here?
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 12-05-2012 03:16 PM

Nope, reeks like fuel in there lately. Wifey is on boondoggle for four days tho so I'm planning on getting back on it!

Low Elco 12-05-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5741542)
Nope, reeks like fuel in there lately. Wifey is on boondoggle for four days tho so I'm planning on getting back on it!

WTH is Boondoggle? Some freaky NW thing? Should you have told that on a public forum? Ommmmmmieeeee..... You in trouble........
Posted via Mobile Device

butternut1972 12-05-2012 10:31 PM

^^^Must be eastside thing, cause I've never heard it. Thats funny though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 12-06-2012 12:09 AM

boon·dog·gle
/ˈbo͞onˌdägəl/
Noun
Work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but gives the appearance of having value.
Verb
Waste money or time on such projects.

Shopping is she????

jlsanborn 12-06-2012 03:48 AM

Holy smokes! If she reads this I'm in the sh!t....
Its a western Montana saying I guess. Couple sheep rustlers I've worked with always used the term. I guess I kinda knew what they meant but crap, I'm for sure the boondoggler around here!
Go ahead Elco, I just set the table for you but I guess I got it coming.

I was all set to paint the cab but I think i'll listen to the wise man and start with the easier stuff. Doors and panels are ready for epoxy with fenders, hood and tail gate almost there. I'm going to tidy up and get on some of that the next couple of days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 12-06-2012 09:04 AM

I refuse to go down the sheep road. I have standards, I think. nah.

I would recommend shooting a couple things, not just for the obvious reasons, but it gives you a bit of a chub for working on the rest of it to see something shiny happenin'!
Hope you get in some quailty time this weekend! Gonna get some use out of the Boy?

jlsanborn 12-06-2012 05:27 PM

I'm planning on burning a fire in there all weekend! I'm running low on supplies and still need to get the BC/CC. I've gotta corral all the funds I've got left and see where I stand. I wish the Boy was a little more interested in the bodywork part. I'm learning a butt-lode and can only imagine if I had crossed that path when I was his age. We'll see.

Low Elco 12-06-2012 06:21 PM

Not sure where you are on the big buy, but Southern Polyurethane is good paint cheap! See it here-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&goto=newpost
Posted via Mobile Device

Bomp 12-11-2012 11:24 PM

Hows things going? Any updates? You driving it yet?:lol:

Low Elco 12-12-2012 09:14 AM

Wake Up Johnny! Your public awaits! Did ya epoxy yourself to the floor? Do we need to send assistance?

jlsanborn 12-12-2012 11:27 AM

I'll tell ya, it's been slow going on the project. I've been working on other damn trucks though! That divorced choke on the big fella just wouldn't get hot enought to pull all the way off so I build a cute little bell-crank to mount in its place and hooked up the ol' push-pull cable. Manual choke blows, but it works now! The other Sonny Boy has a late '80s Japanese truck with probably the very last carburetor before FI. Holy crap! Sucker has at least 5 solenoids and maybe more vacuum actuators. There has to be a dozen vacuum hoses. It's full of tamper-proof screws, covers and plugs. I was thinking I'd throw a kit in it :haha:. Screw that sh!t. I cleaned it off, tightened it up and wound up the idle a bit. Its running pretty well now but if there are any other issues its getting a Weber conversion.

So, plan is to get the shop back in order tonight and get back on the bodywork this week. I've got the moolah to pick up the paint so I'll be doing that here soon too. I'm going with that Martin Senour Cross-Fire stuff. $150/5qts sprayable for BC and $76/5qts sprayable for CC. Oh, and I ordered an aluminum bellhousing on EBay (........403 '69 Z28) :metal: and will be scoring a tubular trans x-member from Rob. Gotta cut that bellhousing cross member out and cut/weld some exhaust pass-thrus in the rear member.

I'd happily accept any assistance you can send my way!!

Bomp 12-12-2012 11:41 AM

Ha. I said that same thing about needing help and you can see what happened in my latest video with my two girls.
Keep stompin out the fires man. You'll get there.:metal:

Low Elco 12-12-2012 02:06 PM

I'd love to assist, if I could EVER get the rearend in this truck. I have a saga, with pics, once the computer comes back up and 67-72 doesn't crash it. I believe Murph caught the same cold. They did site maint last night, hope it helped. We'll see!

jlsanborn 12-15-2012 12:57 PM

Been a little quiet around here but I'm fixin to change that today. I got the shop cleaned up and I think I'm satisfied with how the Crummy is running. Last night I finished patching that fender and will grab some pics to put up. I'm going to light the fire now and should get something done!

67ctener 12-15-2012 07:59 PM

Nice fab work, mine is in need of major sheet metal
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 12-16-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 5760191)
Nice fab work, mine is in need of major sheet metal
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man! It sure as hell isn't as good as a pro would patch it up but it's rust free. I wish you could attach fenders to email! I'd send mine off to Bomp for sand blasting and metal work.

Bomp 12-16-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5760702)
Thanks man! It sure as hell isn't as good as a pro would patch it up but it's rust free. I wish you could attach fenders to email! I'd send mine off to Bomp for sand blasting and metal work.

:haha:Now thats funny.
At the rate Im going it would take forever to get your fender back to ya and you would have to suffer through weeks and weeks of videos of me showing my Dracula teeth and talkin funny.:hot:

jlsanborn 12-16-2012 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I had a fairly good day in the shop yesterday. I took a few videos (just from the phone) but cannot seem to upload them. I'll keep trying.

That passenger fender is ready for some filler. There was more rot in that corner than I realized. Thanks to Bomp for the "small pieces" tip! Instead of trying to cut out the crap and replace it with one big goofey piece that I'd never be able to re-create, I divided it up into smaller, easier pieces and grafted those in one at a time. Great advice!! We also lopped out that trans cross-member. I plan to be back out there today.

Low Elco 12-16-2012 12:15 PM

Looks great! I like the retention of the drain hole. It's all worth it when it's in smooth gray epoxy, ummmm yummy!

Bomp 12-16-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5761157)
So I had a fairly good day in the shop yesterday. I took a few videos (just from the phone) but cannot seem to upload them. I'll keep trying.

That passenger fender is ready for some filler. There was more rot in that corner than I realized. Thanks to Bomp for the "small pieces" tip! Instead of trying to cut out the crap and replace it with "one big goofey piece" that I'd never be able to re-create, I divided it up into smaller, easier pieces and grafted those in one at a time. Great advice!! We also lopped out that trans cross-member. I plan to be back out there today.

Looks great.
I feel compelled to give my .02 of caution.
One advantage of multiple pieces is to avoid that "one big goofy piece" but you really have to watch the heat issue when putting it all together. It may not seem like much but when that metal cools it has a tendence to wanna move. As you have seen on my thread (#362) theres a reason why I have so many hammers. Having to beat that metal back to where it belongs.
Just my .02
Looking great. Your really knockin that thing out. How's the boys arm?
Side note: I use a cheap little Sony Cyber-Shot 7.2 camera to make the vids. My phone (Galaxy S II) Is like a 4meg and the Windows Movie Maker 2.6 wont take it.