The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 01-01-2013 01:36 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

4 Attachment(s)
Enough sitting on my a$$. It's time to get this build moving again!!!!

I've had a BUNCH of time off and the party is almost over. As pityful as it is, I did manage to get some work done on the truck. It's been cold and the little stove just wasn't getting the job done. An old neighbor offered me a big stove that was laying outside his shop like EIGHT years ago. I finally decided to accept his offer :metal: What a difference! I can stuff this big dude and get it WARM in there now.

I finally loaded up my calipers with new pads and installed those. Them pads sure are thick!??? I fully compressed the calipers and still had to remove those little sheetmetal things between the pistons and pads to get them over the rotors. I'm sure they're compressed all the way and they do go on but it just seems tight to me. There's a slight drag when I spin the wheels. Move on....

I bought new tie-rod ends like waaaaay back and finally got that all buttoned up. Cheap-o didn't buy new sleeves but instead spent an hour and a little skin cleaning up the old CRAP. Gottem all sanitary and painted then installed. Something finally DONE!

Finished touches on the doors and got those, the panels and the backside of the grille in epoxy! Well, only the insides of the doors. I gotta do the seam sealer on those then I'll shootem again, flip them over and do another shot.

Lastly, I layed out the paint divider moulding on the back of the cab. I've put some marks down so I can drill holes for them little screw-in posts. Sorta not happy with the moulding. $80 for such simple pieces yet they're both kinda tweaked. The drivers side has a bit of a whoop on the short leg. So much that I fear kinking it when I try to straighten it out. The passenger side came pre-kinked! I'll look closer today but if it sucks I'll have to get on the horn :(

I still haven't looked into how you'd sneak big, cool pictures throughout your post like our pal BOMP does but I'll stickem on the end here. Just a note.... Every picture to date on this thread has come from my Blackberry. The following is off the camera I bought Wifey for xmas (it was worth my paint bux!!). I'll try and make a video here soon!

butternut1972 01-01-2013 02:12 PM

Looking good. It's hard to get anything done while your cold. Good to see you back after it.

Bomp 01-01-2013 04:46 PM

Nothin' like being in a nice warm shop with it freezin' outside.
Crack open a few doors to let the fresh air come through with the stove red hot.
Glad to see your getting things on the done list.
Sendin you a pm with some helpful hints on pic stuff.
Shop,stove and truck are looking Great!

jlsanborn 01-01-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 5789128)
Looking good. It's hard to get anything done while your cold. Good to see you back after it.

Same to you man! Won't be long now will it? You're on the home stretch and it's going to be soooo cool! Thanks for checkin :metal:

jlsanborn 01-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5789410)
Nothin' like being in a nice warm shop with it freezin' outside.
Crack open a few doors to let the fresh air come through with the stove red hot.
Glad to see your getting things on the done list.
Sendin you a pm with some helpful hints on pic stuff.
Shop,stove and truck are looking Great!

WOW! Thanks for the instructional video :c2:

I've been basically using the same capture/save method as you have (5mp camera phone, email, save). I've always saved them to my server at the highest quality (I have a *****in file server out in the shop for all of us here at the house to save crap on. It's a RAID disk drive array so everything is backed up too!). It's the Photobucket thing that makes yours soo cool. I could always "attach" the 5mp photos and the forum thing would always automatically resize them to fit. It's limited to five attachments at 100kb each. The camera I bought Wifey is like 18mp and the site can't seem to handle them so I have to resize myself (screw that, going back to the phone!).

Ima open a Photobucket account and give the HTML bit a try! I've seen old threads tho where the Photobucket account was busted or gone and so......NO PICS!

Thanks again Bomp!!! You"re the Bomb!!

jlsanborn 01-01-2013 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So a little done today. Burned about a cord of firewood to get the place warm but it was WARM! Finished laying out the paint divider, well the Boy did. His eyes are better so he did the measuring, punching and drilling. Better not be effed up Boy! Taped off the doors and started seam-sealing but ran out!!! To be continued..... Made a few touches to the tailgate and got that, the other side of the grill and the heater box/manifold thing in epoxy. Gotta get more supplies! I'm going to snag a trans cross member here soon as well as some motor mounts so I can throw the block and trans in there for mock-up. I gotta get a hole in the floor for the shifter and snag a driveline length.

Saw a cool '69 K10 at the Depot today, shoulda snagged a pic. My truck is going to be cool man and I can't wait to get it DONE!

butternut1972 01-01-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 5789871)
Same to you man! Won't be long now will it? You're on the home stretch and it's going to be soooo cool! Thanks for checkin :metal:

Man I hope not...my sons sports are starting up real soon so I'm trying to make headway while I can. I'm looking forward to seeing some color on your truck! Later

Bomp 01-01-2013 10:14 PM

When your doing the seam sealer thing can you do a few close up and how to shots?
I've only seen the after and painted over. I might be thinkin to hard on the subject and over complicating it.
Glad the vid helped.
I use a little fan in the shop by the stove to help push all that hot air around better.
Oh yeah, You could do a vid on the seam sealer:lol:

Low Elco 01-01-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5790152)
When your doing the seam sealer thing can you do a few close up and how to shots?
I've only seen the after and painted over. I might be thinkin to hard on the subject and over complicating it.
Glad the vid helped.
I use a little fan in the shop by the stove to help push all that hot air around better.
Oh yeah, You could do a vid on the seam sealer:lol:

Progress looks great! Love the stove, a buddy just did a double barrel stove and that sucker WORKS!

I've been resizing and saving the pics in my thread to the server to avoid the dreaded photobucket sneeze issue. That'd explain why I don't have a lot more pics. It's a lot easier with Tapatalk, wish we had it heere......

I used Windows Live Movie Maker to edit my movie. Worked great and not hard to learn a tall. You can DL it free from Microsoft if your Vista and up. I use Windows Live Photo Gallery for resizing. Lots easier than going through a 3rd program.

Bomp, the seam sealer, if you get the LORD Fusor 800EZ, you just tape off the roof skin and lay a fat azz bead in there and use mineral spirit soaked towels and gloved fingers to smooth it out just like bathroom caulk. it isn't bad, just take a deep breath and jam. Here's where to get it-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Fusor-8...-/140750416365

And how to use it-

I don't get a commission for this stuff, I just used it and it worked great for me.

jlsanborn 01-03-2013 12:13 PM

I looked around here locally and couldn't find the 800EZ. The first tube I bought from Napa was pretty thick (can't member the part # for that one). Went back and got the "medium" 4201 brushable and was pretty happy with that. I'd sure like to re-do my drip rails but I don't think I'm going to. They look better than OEM. It's single digits here this week and not a ton of time after work to get the shop warm and get anything done really but I will try the video thing. Maybe I can get the boy to narrate in his best Euorpean english accent! "Uhpply the 800Ezay seam sealah....."

68 TT 01-03-2013 08:19 PM

Truck and stove are looking great.

I had a fan on my old fireplace exhaust stack that blew a ton of heated air around the garage. One of those would help you heat that place up better and use less wood to do it too. I will see if I can find a link to something similar to show you. I sure miss that old shop. I spent four hours out in the cold yesterday working on my truck. My toes are still frozen.
Posted via Mobile Device

68 TT 01-04-2013 03:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The most common name I found for the device I was talking about is stove pipe fan. They work great on inefficient stoves that burn chord wood as there is a ton of extra heat in the exhaust.

More efficient stoves like pellets & gas type don't put as much heat into the exhaust. Because of this the stove pipe fan can pull too much heat out & reduce the stoves draft to a point it doesn't work well so they are not for everyone.

For your setup one of these would be a great addition. A ceiling fan or two to help circulate the air some & get the hot air down from the ceiling would be a good investment too.

I thought about connecting mine to a thermostat so it would help regulate the room temp better plus turn off when not needed but never got to it before we sold the place.

Low Elco 01-06-2013 11:17 AM

That is a slick little piece!

jlsanborn 01-06-2013 01:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty well circulated in there but have a little work to do. Biggest problem now is the crappy roll up doors. I need to get some rigid insulation for those and also adjust them so they seal up a little better. The new stove has a couple plenums on the sides which are connected with big pipes throught the firebox. A good ol' home made heat exchanger! I need to find a small blower to hook that up. I've got these sexy, brassy ceiling fans going that do help a bunch too. For some reason Wifey just wouldn't havem in the house so I got them. They used to have some real fancy cut-glass light fixtures on them but I stripped those off. I've got just a basic box fan running behind the stove now but need to come up with something a little more permanent. I think I'll eventually have that and the stove blower on a temperature switch or t-stat. We're back into the 30's now so it's not too bad.

jlsanborn 01-06-2013 02:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So i got this new work phone and i still don't quite have it figured out. The pictures are really green looking and the seam sealer video was a bust! We did get the doors sealed though and i got a couple crappy pics.
Tape is the key. I wasn't critical here, just layed down a road around the door skin seam. I was a little more anal about it around the hoop though. Lay a bead down prolly 24" at a time then use your finger tip to smooth it out and remove excess. Immediately pull the tape and follow with the acid brush and thinner as needed to fix imperfections. Piece of cake!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 01-06-2013 05:33 PM

Go HeeHawks!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 01-07-2013 09:24 AM

Awwww dat's nice! Wish mine turned out that well.

jlsanborn 01-09-2013 01:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks man! We're really happy with how it looks. It's amazing how messy they were with it at the factory. There were at least a couple spots on the firewall where the dude wiped his finger tip off. Big-o blobs just smooshed on there!

I scuffed the insides of the doors once more and cleaned up the seam sealer here and there with a little sand paper. Got those, inside of the tailgate and the steering wheel in more epoxy. Should be blocking the outsides here soon!

gdavis 01-09-2013 09:57 PM

Hey man those door look great. I hope I will be able to get mine looking that good. A thumbs up to you.

Bomp 01-09-2013 10:47 PM

No need to say it but I'm gonna....... Nice!!!

jlsanborn 01-10-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 5807344)
Hey man those door look great. I hope I will be able to get mine looking that good. A thumbs up to you.

Thanks! I've started looking through your build and will chime in there soon. I think I've seen you over on David's '67 build?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5807502)
No need to say it but I'm gonna....... Nice!!!

Thanks Bomp! I really did try to video the seam sealer but this new phone has me by the balz! Plus i had the sticky sealer all over the place! Your build thread is something i look for each day. Yours is just at a different level and is truly going to be artwork! I appreciate you following along.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 01-11-2013 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I know it don't look like much but I've got the underside of the hood pretty well detailed out. I sure wish I had a sandblaster! I'd like to get this done and the fenders done so I can hi-build and finish sand all those parts together with the doors and tailgate.

67cheby 01-11-2013 12:13 PM

for anyone that has done that and know how long it takes ....congrats on getting it done ! LOL

Low Elco 01-11-2013 01:53 PM

You're a better man than me- I had the blaster just do the ribs and edges, then I DA'd the sheet. Etch the bare and BANG! Yellow! I hate all the nook and cranny crap. Looks great!

jlsanborn 01-11-2013 03:17 PM

Thanks dudes! I'm taking the fenders to be blasted just so they can get rid of all the yuk that I can't get at. Those need just a little bodywork yet.