The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluburb winter? project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=849706)

dadsburb 01-03-2024 06:39 PM

Bluburb winter? project

4 Attachment(s)
So I am starting a rust elimination program on my Suburban. After 23
years the repaint and previous rust repair are failing. The spots showing on the quarter panels made me take a closer look at everything underneath, and it's not pretty. Turns out the exterior is only the tip of the iceburg. Much more serious damage pics in my next post.

dadsburb 01-03-2024 08:27 PM

Re: Bluburb winter? project

4 Attachment(s)
here are the pics showing serious issues. The rear most support under the tail gate is rusted badly, the left side is slightly collapsed, where the body mount is located the frame rail rotted out. The support near the gas tank which bolts the floor to the frame is in the same condition. The floor stiffening support is rotted out but may be salvageable. Finally the body support behind the second row seat has a lot of damage but where the body mounts are looks solid. So given all that my first question to the group is, has anyone used bed supports from a wood bed pickup to replace their Suburban floor members?

LockDoc 01-04-2024 01:26 AM

-
My '67 Panel is showing the same thing. I need to get busy on it. Good luck with your repairs going forward.

dadsburb 01-04-2024 11:38 AM

LockDoc, do the panels use a plywood floor also? Or planks like a pickup.

dadsburb 01-04-2024 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have removed all the bolts from the plywood floor, the spare tire well is out. I cut the small piece of plywood out of the right front area near the center seat, it was warped from rust jacking. Loosened all the body mounts and attempted to lift the rear of the body to remove the crushed rubber mounts at the rear most support. The body wouldn't raise at all. I think I need more jacks to spread the load further forward

richard2717 01-04-2024 12:24 PM

I may have some of the cross members depending on which ons you end up needing. I am in MD. If you need any measurements just let me know.
The floor is plywood and is in 2 pcs. The 2nd pc is in front of the passenger wheel well.

LockDoc 01-04-2024 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsburb (Post 9272984)
LockDoc, do the panels use a plywood floor also? Or planks like a pickup.

My '67 has plywood.

dadsburb 01-04-2024 11:21 PM

richard2717 do you have Suburban supports I would need all of them front to rear. I only have one out of the truck now, I will post a pic tomorrow. And get some measurements

HO455 01-06-2024 10:33 AM

Looking forward to seeing more. I'll need to make some popcorn and grab a Porter. There's going to be lots to see!

dadsburb 01-06-2024 01:21 PM

Don't expect too much excitement, I don't work as fast as some of the people on this board, you included. Whats Porter? asks the east coast guy.

richard2717 01-06-2024 01:34 PM

I sent you some pictures by 2 separate emails. Let me know if you do not get them.

HO455 01-06-2024 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even slow progress is exciting. I'm sure I'll learn from your progress.

And a Porter

dadsburb 01-06-2024 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first support I've managed to remove, slid out thru the wheel well. It's not terrible but looks like it would be hard to weld to, quite crusty in spots have to see if I can grind into some good metal

dadsburb 01-06-2024 01:46 PM

richard2717 did not see email yet, some times my T-mobile is slow to deliver so i will check again in a little bit

richard2717 01-06-2024 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsburb (Post 9273567)
richard2717 did not see email yet, some times my T-mobile is slow to deliver so i will check again in a little bit

The pics are pretty large in the email but I did not want to size them so small that they were grainy. Here are 2 that I just pulled off of the shelf.

dadsburb 01-06-2024 02:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics of support

HO455 01-06-2024 02:13 PM

It does appear to be a wee bit thin in places.

dadsburb 01-08-2024 08:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Did a little more work on the Suburban today. Decided not to attempt to remove the floor in one piece, so I cut it in line with the fuel fill hump. Took out the support which mounts to frame and bolts to plywood, its toast, hope to get replacement from Richard2717. now that I can see top of frame, it's worse than I thought. I think I need to address this first and secure the back of the truck before I can get into other area's.

dadsburb 01-08-2024 08:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more pictures

kev2809 01-11-2024 05:48 AM

ouch. are you trying to repair this frame or swap it with another one?

dadsburb 01-11-2024 01:56 PM

I am really not up to a frame swap. I am going to try sectioning in some better frame rails, if I can find some. It should work out ok, I never put heavy loads in the bed. Just got to hold the sheet metal up.

HO455 01-11-2024 07:18 PM

Ohh! That got serious quickly. Fortunately Richard2717 has chimed in. He's good people and has helped me a bunch on my Burban. Keep posting, we're definitely interested in your progress.

dadsburb 01-12-2024 09:15 PM

Looks like Richard has what I need. Hope to pick up parts at months end. I am cleaning up parts until that happens.

dadsburb 02-18-2024 02:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well got back to working the Suburban this week. Picked up some parts from Richard the end of January on the way to Florida, got home and I'm back at it. Took out the remaining plywood, even shortened, it requires a bit of twisting and turning. Made up a fixture to hold the back of the frame rails for when I do the cut off. Started to clean up the replacement frame rails, and cut off a piece to practice welding, my 90 amp mig may not be up to this repair, I could not get it to over head weld. I will work on my technique and see if It's me and not the machine. First picture is the left rear inner quarter panel behind the wheel, I am just amazed at how good it is and the frame rail is gone.

3drburb 02-18-2024 03:12 PM

Best wishes on the repairs, hopefully it can be done one piece at a time, maybe even make or get parts or make templates before removing them if you can while you practice your welding. It's shocking what you find on a nice looking and driving classic sometimes, but this is well worth it.