The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ride height help ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=841620)

67 cst swb 01-26-2023 12:50 AM

ride height help ?

Could I get a few of you to get me a couple measurement?
I am looking for the Front SHOCK installed height. Centerline of mount bolt to Centerline of mount bolt.
In the REAR I am going to run a 5" rear drop spring. So, I am looking for a 5" drop SPRING installed height.

I am assembling a 67-72 shortbox truck frame and would like to mock things up at ride height. I'm going with a 4-1/2"-Front & 5"-Rear drop.
Running a 4-1/2" front total drop by using a 2" drop spring and a 2-1/2" spindle. But anyone with a aftermarket (not cut) 2" drop spring will work. Looking for the SHOCK installed height. Centerline of mount bolt to Centerline of mount bolt.
Then in the REAR I am going to run a 5" rear drop spring. So, I am looking for a 5" drop SPRING installed height.

Could a few of you get me these measurements? Looking for this measurement while your truck is sitting on the ground at everyday ride height.

Also...If any of you have 6" rear spring, feel free to let me know that measurement. Just let me know what rear drop spring you have.

Front Shock Installed Height= ??
Rear Spring Installed Height= ??

Thank you

Richard 01-26-2023 05:18 AM

Re: ride height help ?

I cannot help with actual measurements as I do not have a 2wd. Can say that stock length shocks will work in your application, even with cut down bump stops. A shorter shock is only needed if bump location is raised.

A1971Blazer 01-26-2023 08:04 AM

Can't help with the measurements but be sure to look closely at your front travel.
I bought a 68 SWB that was dropped in the front with springs and it was sitting on the bump stops. Had no suspension travel at all in the front.

67 cst swb 01-26-2023 02:37 PM

Thank you for the input.
But, I am simply looking for these dimensions to mock up a ride height.
I have or will address the issues you both have mentioned, as this is not my first build. I simply do not have the installed height of these 2 things.

So, still looking for any of you running a 2" front lowering spring and/or a 5" rear lowering spring... are any of you able to get me the 2 dimensions referenced in the 1st post?

Thanks

basketcase 01-26-2023 11:15 PM

My 69 is a small block and auto. It's on ECE 2" springs and 2.5" spindles. Center to center of the shock mounting bolts is 11.5" The rear is apart right now for trailing arm paint and bushings.

Tom

67 cst swb 01-29-2023 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketcase (Post 9171742)
My 69 is a small block and auto. It's on ECE 2" springs and 2.5" spindles. Center to center of the shock mounting bolts is 11.5" The rear is apart right now for trailing arm paint and bushings.

Tom

Thank You Tom

Anyone else out there able to get me these dimensions?

67 cst swb 02-01-2023 07:33 AM

Anyone else...
Still looking for a 5" rear drop spring installed height.

Grumpy old man 02-01-2023 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some of this might help .:smoke:

https://www.qa1.net/tech-center/tech...avel-do-i-need

I wanted Bilsteins my 67 has 2 1/2" drop spindles I cut 1 coil off of factory 292 front springs I ended up with a 12 1/2" installed height of the front shocks that put the front shock travel at 2" off the bump stops and 2 1/2" before the shock will bottom out right in the middle of the shocks travel , I'm running 255x70x15 tires so it should work fine . on the rear I have 5" drop springs and rear shock relocators the top of the wheel opening measures 28" with a wood bed and empty rear fuel tank . So with a full tank of gas the fender should hide the top 2" of tire +- filling out the wheel well . :chevy:

https://www.suspensionlifts.com/shop...et-c10-pickup/

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684343

Posted by GMC PAULS 1/6/2016

Re: Quality Shocks for 3/5 drop
" I'm surprised none of our customers have responded as we've told all that ask.
ANY, I REPEAT AMY, shock that is made for your stock 1967-72 truck at normal ride height is ALSO the correct shock for those trucks with front & rear drop kits of ANY DROP Height. So if you use 1-5 1/2" drop in the front you still use the same shock. If you use 1-6" drop in the rear you still use the same shock. ECE, No limit, Classic, Brothers, everyone is selling shocks that are made to stock travel specifications. Now your asking why this is true. The reason is with any of the drops I listed above the stock shocks minimum & maximum travel distances are not exceeded. Since the shocks travel limits are still within spec, the stock shock length is still used.
NOW in the rear once you hit about a 5" rear drop the shock has become to horizontal to absorb vertical travel effectively. So you then install rear shock relocators in the rear to make the shocks more vertical again so that they can then absorb the vertical travel of the truck. ( It's also my understanding though I have not tried it yet, that if you move the rear lower shock bracket from left side to the right, and the right side to the left this will also correct the shock angle back to a more vertical position eliminating the need for rear shock relocators. ) But again I've not checked this myself on just swapping the lower mounts from 1 side to the other. I'm just reporting what I've heard from several low budget builders.
So everyone should determine the type of ride that you want based on you and your driving habits then look up the shocks and look for comfort, sport, off road etc.... based on your driving style & preference's and then purchase the stock shock for your truck in that type of shock. KYB GR-2 soft comfortable ride, KYB gas a just shocks give a firmer ride , etc.....
Then buy from who you choose. If your already buying parts from 1 location and the shocks they have only cost a little more than the cheapest place you've found get the shocks from where your buying your other parts unless your getting free shipping.
Hope everyone is Healthy, Happy, & Prosperous in 2016 and beyond. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693745
Paul @ GMCPauls " __________________
Secure Online Catalog for-GMCPauls Truck Parts
Email- GMCPAULS@GMAIL.COM2016

67 cst swb 02-01-2023 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9173914)
...on the rear I have 5" drop springs and rear shock relocators

Could you possibly get me a specific measurement? Measure the total "installed" height of your 5" drop spring...As in, as it sits everyday on the ground.
Let's say, before you installed the springs in your truck they measured 11" tall... then you mounted them in the truck, mounted up all the shocks, wheels & tires and drove around the block. As your truck sat in the driveway or possibly currently sitting in your garage. That spring, compressed mounted in the frame measures... what?
So, from bottom of spring to top of spring.

Thanks

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ictureid=26901

leftybass209 02-03-2023 02:48 PM

I have that exact drop on my lwb 72 right now.im at work, but I'll see if I can get you a measurement later today or tomorrow.

Fwiw the truck has an aggressive rake. More than I like, but I anticipated using a 1" lowering block for more flexibility in tire sizes when if all gets dialed in.

Also, it depends on what shock mounts you'll decide to go with too. I'm using ECE lowers, but haven't drilled out the rivets for the upper mounts yet.

Grumpy old man 02-03-2023 04:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed height of the 5" drop coils is 7 1/2" between the lower frame rail and the top of the trailing arm 67 short bed with wood floor and empty rear fuel tank , upper rear shock relocators and I also used the earlier lower shock mounts for the double shear mounting vs single shear of the stock 67-72's . :chevy:

Grumpy old man 02-03-2023 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture shows a 4' level on top of the bed rail , Once the rear bumper is installed along with some gas it should be close to level . :chevy:

67 cst swb 02-05-2023 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9174666)
Installed height of the 5" drop coils is 7 1/2" between the lower frame rail and the top of the trailing arm

Awesome... Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

67 cst swb 02-05-2023 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftybass209 (Post 9174645)
I have that exact drop on my lwb 72 right now.im at work, but I'll see if I can get you a measurement later today or tomorrow.

Thank you, It will be good to get your measurements as well. It will be interesting to see if the measurements are similar.

Thanks